It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:37 am

Ronald Hugh Morrieson - Predicament's Author

Friends of the Conchords and those who've worked with them over the years... it all goes here. Rhys Darby, Taika Waititi, Arj Barker, Nigel Collins et al

Moderator: Venus

Re: Ronald Hugh Morrieson - Predicament's Author

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:37 pm

The book came in the mail yesterday. Thanks Delirium! Heehee the little note that fell out.... :D I have to believe that what is written is true. I've smiled often thinking of it. It will be my bookmark and bring me much pleasure, I must say. Thanks again. :hug: You're awesome.

I'll start reading tonight.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby deliriumtree » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:56 pm

:hug: Hehe! Glad you liked the note! Totally true! :D Enjoy reading it! Glad everything arrived safe!
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:51 pm

Well, Im supposed to be studying for an exam in 2 days and instead I finished the book today :twisted: .

Im gonna play wishy washy and say that Cedric is somewhere between sociopath and innocent child. I dont remember who said it, but I agree that he is a coconspirator at best....he'd never have the guts to plot a criminal act on his own. So it will depend on who he befriends if he gets into more trouble. I dont know about the end being a MAJOR let down, but I didnt really expect it...I just said, "ahhhhhh!"

Now, lets see...Spook...poor Spook :( . I had a lot of pity for him and chuckled at DT's comment "you gave me a pie, I love you now" :lol: regarding him transfering his devotion to Cedric. For the life of me, I couldnt wrap my little brain around Jem playing him....at least not until Spook made jokes about the "art" in the "sheila's dunny" or something like that hehe....for some reason that seemed like something I could picture Jem saying :dunno: I kept picturing Jem as Ernie Fox in the very beginning...I know...Im :rolleyes: When Spook got his head whacked off, all I could say was "Holy SH$#! Holy SH#$, Man!"...sad..so sad.

Overall I really liked the book. Id say it was a little slower in the beginning, but I wasnt bored, I was just wondering where it was all going...It was an easy read and I quite liked the author's writing style...even if he did need a little streamlining done to the overall story. Cant wait to see the movie!

*runs off to watch the behind the scenes again*
closet jemainiac
---

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:21 pm

Ok there's a book up for grabs if anyone wants to read it that still hasnt!
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Val2150 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Got the book in the mail today - thanks helgecko! :D Can't wait to start reading...I'm loving this little international book club we've got going on here!
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:11 pm

closet jemainiac wrote:Ok there's a book up for grabs if anyone wants to read it that still hasnt!

Going ONCE...Going TWICE.....
closet jemainiac
---

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:33 pm

I can't remember who has my copy...is it you Closet Jem?
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:36 pm

No I have DangerMouse's copy
closet jemainiac
---

Postby onefeathertail » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:06 pm

I've been wanting to read this for the longest time. A friend of mine recommended it (over and over and over again :lol:) a while back, now, but I've never been able to find myself/afford myself a copy. By the sounds of it I'll definitely have to find a way of snagging a copy to read.
onefeathertail
Half a shapely halibut

Postby mockingbird » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Hey when is this movie supposed to come out? Any chance it will be released in the US or will it just be on video? Does anyone know? I'm really interested to see it.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:24 pm

onefeathertail wrote:I've been wanting to read this for the longest time. A friend of mine recommended it (over and over and over again :lol:) a while back, now, but I've never been able to find myself/afford myself a copy. By the sounds of it I'll definitely have to find a way of snagging a copy to read.

Order it from Dunmore Press in NZ, it's been reprinted. It's still cheaper than a vintage copy.
http://www.dunmore.co.nz/books/Predicam ... 399388.htm

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby onefeathertail » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks, MM!

It's still a little pricey for me at the moment, but now I know exactly how much to save for. Thanks again. :heart:
onefeathertail
Half a shapely halibut

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:30 pm

You're welcome! You also have a better chance than we do of stumbling across a reasonable used copy in the stores down there. So keep your eyes peeled. I suspect if the movie does well, there may be an even bigger demand for it.

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby onefeathertail » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that. Our library can also order in books they don't have; a few of my friends have had real luck with some rarer novels they hadn't been able to find locally. Maybe I could see if they can order in a copy for me to at least read and then hope to stumble across a copy down here and/or save up enough to order it from Dunmore Press. :D
onefeathertail
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Val2150 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:27 pm

I just finished this the other day....so glad I had a chance to read this!

So, I really, really liked the book as a whole immediately after I finished it....having thought about it for a bit, my enthusiasm has tempered. Not that I dislike it, but it really was a bit rough around the edges. I REALLY disliked the ending. I just thought it tied things up too neatly and felt really rushed. I thought the story deserved a better resolution.

I didn't really see Cedric as a sociopath, more as a shy, impressionable kid like some of you mentioned. I think he was just isolated and maybe overly concerned with what others think of him, which kind of made me want to smack him. :lol: I did like the overall theme of exploring what someone is capable of under the right circumstances.

And Spook....poor, poor Spook. :( I really felt sorry for him. I did think he was quite funny....I could easily picture Jemaine as him. Especially in the beginning when Mervyn was saying how Spook got himself in trouble peering in people's windows and sneaking up on people just to scare them...I pictured Jemaine doing that and laughed my butt off. But yeah, the way in which he met his demise....did NOT see that coming. :shock: :cry: He really did seem like sort of a lost puppy, latching on to whoever gave him some attention. Poor guy. I'm really curious to see what Jemaine does with this character now.

So....I think I have SA's copy? Should it send it back to you or on to someone else? :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

PreviousNext

Return to Conchords Cohorts