It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:08 am

Jemaine Clement on Why Flight of the Conchords Might End

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Jemaine Clement on Why Flight of the Conchords Might End

Postby funny schipperke » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Just a short little article:

Jemaine Clement on Why Flight of the Conchords Might End, and What Might Be Next

Earlier this week, Jemaine Clement broke the news that his folk-comedy duo, Flight of the Conchords, “very likely might not” return as a series. He and his elfin collaborator, Bret McKenzie, will make their final decision within the next month. What’s at stake? Family commitments, as it turns out. “Bret and I are both fathers,” Clement told us during an interview to promote his (troubled) new film Gentlemen Broncos. “We know if we take on another season, that means we’re not gonna see our family for a year.” Even if he dragged his wife and 1-year-old son, Sophocles (Soph, for short), from New Zealand to New York, where the show is shot, he says he’d still be working every single day.

If Clement does retire, hopefully we’ll see more of him on the big screen. (He is, after all, the best part of the flailing Jared Hess film.) “Films actually don't take a lot of time, but TV shows are so fast-paced. Even though they're both acting, they're almost totally different jobs,” he says. “People think actors wanna move to film because it’s high profile, and I don’t think that’s the reason. I think it’s simply that they have more free time.”

source
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Jemaine Clement on Why Flight of the Conchords Might End

Postby LauraK » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Makes sense. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Val2150 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Having time to be a dad is the best reason I've heard for them not continuing the show.

Good on 'em for being such good dads and husbands. :D
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Amanda » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:59 pm

Val2150 wrote:Having time to be a dad is the best reason I've heard for them not continuing the show.
Good on 'em for being such good dads and husbands. :D

:nod:
But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda

Postby DaMango » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:47 am

Yes, good for them! Family comes first.

We can wait....

( :cry: )
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Faith » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:12 am

I totally agree, Val. This has definitely been the best reason so far for them not continuing on with the show. I'm not so sad about the show not coming back, I just hope they keep writing songs and doing live shows which is where I think that they are at their best anyway.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby mockingbird » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:07 am

Yeah, can't argue with that. What a stand up guy. :heart: But then we all knew that. ;)

I'm fine with there not being a third season. I still want the Conchords to continue to exist in some form though.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby deliriumtree » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 am

mockingbird wrote:I'm fine with there not being a third season. I still want the Conchords to continue to exist in some form though.

Me too! I had a little heart panic reading the title of this thread. But, as long as they tour now and then. I'm good! :D I can understand not wanting to be away for a whole year. Babies learn a lot of tricks in a year don't they? Sitting up, walking... probably other nifty baby tricks that I don't know about. Sorry... I'm never around babies. I imagine they're sort of like puppies for humans.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree

Postby mockingbird » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:33 am

Delirium your sig cracks me up. :lol:

Yeah they're like super high maintenance puppies, lol. In fact my kids are 7 and 4 and they're still a lot like puppies. In fact more so now because the maintenance level is closer to real puppies. ;)
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Faith » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:34 am

Yeah, you don't want to miss out on those first two years. It's amazing how much they can change in very little time. Not that I have kids of my own, but I used to be a infant/toddler teacher for a long time. I don't blame them for wanting to spend more time with their families, especially Bret since his little one is so young.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby deliriumtree » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:30 am

mockingbird wrote:Delirium your sig cracks me up. :lol:

Yeah they're like super high maintenance puppies, lol. In fact my kids are 7 and 4 and they're still a lot like puppies. In fact more so now because the maintenance level is closer to real puppies. ;)

I'm glad you like it! I'm proud of how seriously messed up it is! lol Good to know I'm in the ball park on kids being like puppies! :D
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree

Postby mohumbhai mania » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:34 am

Faith wrote:Yeah, you don't want to miss out on those first two years. It's amazing how much they can change in very little time. Not that I have kids of my own, but I used to be a infant/toddler teacher for a long time. I don't blame them for wanting to spend more time with their families, especially Bret since his little one is so young.

Yeah, even seeing my friends' kids and my nephews/nieces, and my nephews/nieces' kids it's amazing how much goes on, even when they're in their early 20s. Not that I want them to stay away until then...

Great to know they have their priorities in order. :heart:
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby songbird » Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:38 pm

Family is definitely priority #1. And a year is a long time to be away from your kids, especially when they're at such a young age. They're such great fathers/husbands! :D

Definitely agree with what's already been said, as long as the Conchords still exist and do the occasional project/tour here or there, I'm happy.
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image
songbird

Postby Peaches » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:28 am

songbird wrote:Family is definitely priority #1. And a year is a long time to be away from your kids, especially when they're at such a young age. They're such great fathers/husbands! :D

Definitely agree with what's already been said, as long as the Conchords still exist and do the occasional project/tour here or there, I'm happy.

I agree with everything everyone has said, see ... this is why they're so likeable, because they seem like genuinely decent men :)
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Carol » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:55 am

Whew! I had palpitations when I read the subject line! However, I'm totally in agreement with their reasoning. But as someone else said, I do hope that FOTC continues to make music for us. I really want to see them in 'concert' one more time, at least. :pray:
Carol
Registered Rhymnecologist

Return to Jemaine Clement