It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:51 am

No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderator: Venus

Re: No swooning allowed - For the guys (and ladies too)

Postby SheWolf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 pm

mockingbird wrote:I wonder if they'll release a live DVD. That would be awesome. I seem to recall some rumors floating around about that, early in the tour...? I might be manufacturing memories to support my hopes of a live DVD, ha ha.
I believe the final word on this from Bret was that they would not.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Ozpot » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:09 am

Hm, I just noticed this thread for some reason. How slow of me.
I can easily discuss the Flight of the Conchords without swooning. One thing I always want to shout out above the rooftops (not really) is that they are more than just a novelty band. I see them as so much more than just a band that does "funny" songs. They have a vast knowledge of music, and clearly know how to play guitar, pianos, DG-20s and the like. The fact that all of their songs are original material make it that much better.
And comedian wise, they are hilarious. Their humor is so unique and dry, it makes me laugh for the strangest reasons. They have such a unique style of comedy that nobody can ever replace.
I am only hoping that they will work together again someday soon. Well, they are both in Diagnosis: Death, but after that it seems to be separate movies and projects. Bret and Jemaine have amazing comedic and musical chemistry together, you can't have one without the other.
I don't except a season 3. I don't expect a live DVD. I just want them to stick around and keep the world a happier place.
ImageImage
Ozpot
Getting lewd with the food

Postby curlisue » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:43 pm

One thing I really love about the guys music is the beautiful harmonies they write and sing, I could listen to them all day :D
Sometimes when I'm freestyling...I lose confidence
curlisue
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby thestray » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:20 am

I like how they always leave room for improv in their songs. They never do it the same way twice. There's always something new to laugh at.
thestray

Postby mockingbird » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:24 pm

I like that too. They're so creative. Also something I really admire about them is their ability to think on their feet. They're so quick witted. Did you see Jemaine's Book People event, where he came out in character as Chevalier and did a reading then had a Q&A session with the audience? That was brilliant. I'm so impressed with him. No script, no idea what's coming at him next, standing in front of a crowd of people throwing questions at him (quickfire! lol) and expecting him to be hilarious, and he *was*. Talk about pressure but he handled it beautifully. (For the record, what I'm doing now is "gushing", not "swooning". In case anyone is confused. ;))
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:47 pm

He said he didnt want to do that Book People thing...he tried to get out of it I think....
closet jemainiac
---

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:51 pm

I love the album version of The Most Beautiful Girl....Jem sounds so much like Prince that if Im not really thinking about it, I think I AM listening to Prince. I really like his singing voice. I hope he does some "serious music" That would make my life :D
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Red » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:22 am

Yeah, CJ, he said he didn't want to do the Book People event at first but then when he found out that it had already been advertised he decided to do it. He didn't want to let us down. Then afterward I think he said that it had been scary yet fun to do the quickfire q & a in character. He really could have said anything and we all would have laughed but luckily he was actually funny and so quick witted both as Chevalier and himself. You can tell that he is a highly I
intelligent guy.
Red

Postby SheWolf » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:59 pm

I didn't think he literally tried to get out of it. I saw that comment more as an expression of him humourously describing his feelings about having to do it. I thought after the fact he said he was nervous about it coz he hadn't done that kind of public speaking a long time. I was a bit surprised that it would make him nervous considering that he was in character which I assumed would make one more at ease than having to answer as yourself. Though I recall him saying once that he wasn't all that comfortable with unscripted stuff and he liked to feel prepared but so much of what he did during the live shows and some of the funny things he's said at meet and greets were off the cuff and he seems in his element with that.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:10 pm

I guess it depends on the environment....

I could easily get up in front of a crowd of people and give a talk, and maybe even crack a joke or 2, but I would not in a million years get up and sing in front of people. that petrifies me

and I guess I didnt really think he literally tried to get out of it...just that he was so uncomfortable with the thought of it that he felt like he didnt want to do it...Im sure he wasnt practicing being in Chevalier in is off time...maybe that's why he might have felt unprepared.....He was great though...that q and a always makes me laugh :D
closet jemainiac
---

Postby thestray » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:31 am

Is there a video of this online somewhere?
thestray

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 am

closet jemainiac
---

Postby thestray » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:24 am

Haha, "Not quickfire enough!"
thestray

Postby Peaches » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:42 am

Ugh, I just can't like this character...maybe because I'm obsessed with Garth Marenghi...and he did it first :?
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby thestray » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 am

I guess. I'm sure Garth Marenghi wasn't the first to do the hack writer who takes himself way to seriously bit. I like them both though, they're very different to me.
thestray

Previous

Return to Flight of The Conchords