Well there you have it.

The place for all Conchords HBO convo

Moderator: Venus

Re: Well there you have it.

Postby songbird » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 am

Oh my.

First, let me shed a tear, because it is certainly sad. :cry:

HOWEVER...

It's completely what I expected. And you know what, they ended the second season so beautifully that a third season might have ruined the effect. They did such good work on the first two seasons and we have to be thankful for that. And just because the TV show won't continue, it doesn't mean that their other projects won't. I can't say I'm surprised that this is what they decided, no matter how in denial we all were, I think we knew it all along. I am SO EXTREMELY THANKFUL for all the work that they put into seasons 1 and 2, and that's what's important.

THANK YOU Jemaine, Bret, James, and everyone else that worked on the show for all of the amazing music, laughs and smiles that you brought me with the first two seasons! I will forever cherish them :D
"We're addressing the issues but we're keeping it funky."

Image Image
songbird
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby onefeathertail » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:09 am

Definitely the best decision, all things considered. And they're ending on a high-note, rather than running the show into the ground.

I appreciate the hard labour they put into the first and second season and look forward to the rest of their hard work in years to come. :clap:
onefeathertail
Half a shapely halibut

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:20 am

I don't think it's any secret that I'm happy with their decision :) I think that it would have been a nightmare to try to do another season and then try to end the series BETTER than how they did the first time. There was just no topping it. I really love that they included, "Bret and Jemaine the people will continue to exist" :roll2:

Can't wait to follow their future projects, both as individuals and as FOTC :D
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby helgecko » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:21 am

Yeah, I think I'm pretty much in the same boat as most people here. a bit sad at the news, but it is ultimately what I was expecting and even hoping for :)
I really think they did as much as they could with the show format they were working with, and I LOVED the last episode. I'm really keen to see them getting back to what they do best: writing songs for the sake of it (not to fit into episodes/ storylines), and touring. As well as having all the down time/ family time they want and deserve.

Kudos to them for biting the bullet and making the hard decision :D :heart:

THIS:
nonchalant obsession wrote:NO!!!ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

made me laugh so much :roll2:
I actually imagined you sitting at your computer having this reaction to the news, nonch. Including the bit of sick at the end :lol:

:goodman: :hug:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko

Postby Red » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:15 am

Aw poor Nonch. :hug: It will be okay. I promise!

This is totally what I expected and even what I wanted since I thought they ended the show perfectly and I want them to be happy and spend all the time they can with their families. That being said, I did get a little teary eyed and my heart hurt a bit when I read the actual words from them. I'm a lot more sad than I thought I'd be, but I think it is for the best.

So cheers to Bret and Jemaine as you close this chapter of your careers! I can't wait to see what you boys yourselves into next! Oh and thanks for all my new friends! :D
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Digitoonie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:20 am

I'm sad FOREVER! :cry: But I'm still optimistic in tours, or maybe the occasional buddy movie. :)

But I had a feeling this was coming. Everything I love seems to end at season two anyway. :lol: I'll just have to move my DVDs to the same section I keep Arrested Development and Invader Zim and everything two season-ish.
"Garfunkling" is not a trend... it's a way of life.
Digitoonie
Lost but happy at sea

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:24 am

Ditto to everything you all said - even the bit with the crying. :|

Naw, I'm glad they made their decision, glad they announced it too, so that it's done with and they can enjoy their holidays without this hanging over them. I think it took a lot of guts for them to continue to be true to themselves and not let the pressure of the big studio and all that (potential) money make the decision for them. They are truly a couple of stand up guys and this makes me admire them that much more.

Kudos to James too, since he'll have to go find himself another project to work on. Wonder what he'll do next, or if they'll still try to do something together. I'm not too worried about him though, he's got a pretty good track record with what he's done so far. :wink:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby mockingbird » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 am

Just echoing what everyone else said. I'm glad they made a statement about it, and I understand and support them but it's still sad to hear them say it out loud. :(
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:04 am

Sad, but not surprised. No two performers seem as true to themselves as Bret and Jemaine. Glad to see they're not easily sucked into the Hollywood system, no matter what they were offered. (And I'm sure it was incredible gobs of dough. :roll: )
Thanks for all the great memories, guys! Now onward and upward. :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Peaches » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:27 am

So cheers to Bret and Jemaine as you close this chapter of your careers! I can't wait to see what you boys yourselves into next! Oh and thanks for all my new friends!

Well said, echoing my thoughts :)
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby closet jemainiac » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:33 am

Thanks B & J for the laughs and new friends! What's next!?
closet jemainiac
---

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:35 am

helgecko wrote:
THIS:
nonchalant obsession wrote: (nonch's very personal and heartfelt expression of her dispair and grief)

...made me laugh so much :roll2:
I actually imagined you sitting at your computer having this reaction to the news, nonch. Including the bit of sick at the end :lol:

:goodman: :hug:

At least I can take comfort in the knowledge that my almost unbearable pain and mental anguish brought you happiness, helgecko. :lol: :hug: and yes it was very much like that, especially the bit of sick at the end. My sadness isn't pretty I'm afraid. I just can't gladly accept the end of something that I adore so much...I can't even type anymore, it only makes me cry and I don't want to clean up any more vomit tonight. Image
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:42 am

Awwww, Nonch. :goodman:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby helgecko » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:46 am

Oh sweetheart!! I'm sorry for laughing during your torment
:cry: :lol: :goodman: Image :hug:
It's all about the music.

Image Image Image Image
helgecko

Postby Peaches » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:50 am

helgecko wrote:Oh sweetheart!! I'm sorry for laughing during your torment
:cry: :lol: :goodman: Image :hug:

Don't be sorry...we're all laughing...
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

PreviousNext

Return to HBO TV series