It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:13 am

Tonight's the Night....to talk Dexter

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Tonight's the Night....to talk Dexter

Postby deliriumtree » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:24 pm

Yay Kelly! It's really fun to catch up on Dexter. I had to do it too. I burned through S1 and S2 pretty fast. :D
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby SheWolf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I just began watching. I've finished S1 and will be picking up S2 tomorrow:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100113/ap_ ... ael_c_hall
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:45 pm

How'd you like S1? :D

Wow....thanks for the link, I hadn't heard that yet. So glad that it's so successfully treated. Vibes for Michael that it stays in remission and the treatments get rid of it for good.

Effing cancer! :x
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:10 am

I really loved S1 and I am currently on s2 ep3. I have to admit, just watching it is making me nervous what with is what going on with the recent disovery of the Bay Harbor Butcher.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:22 am

Hehe....S2 was quite tense....
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:44 am

Yeah, as someone with several anxiety issues, I'm finding is causing me lots of heart palpitations. The only relief comes in knowing there are 2 seasons to watch after this in which Dexter is (presumably) out of prison and among the living, with another season set to premiere in September, and I hear it will be picked up for a 6th, so I doubt that this particular discovery will be the end of him...I'm just wondering how he's going to wiggle out of it.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:47 am

I think the cancer info is hot off the presses. At least it's treatable and he's in remission.

I liked S1. It took me about 5-6 eps to get into it coz little things like the voice over were getting on my nerves. I just think that kind of internal dialogue is really cheesy and detracts from the fright factor. It's much scarier not to know what's going on in his head than to hear him say he's a monster 20 times every episode. It's like dude, we've got it. You don't fit in. You have no feelings. You're sooooooo bad. :lol:

Deb and the black, bald guy and Dexter's GF too were annoying me too but I got over it and enjoyed it and will continue to watch.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 am

You'd better get used to the internal dialogue.....I'll be interested to see if something else that's to come will get on your nerves. :D

Doakes. He figures in S2 so will continue to annoy you.....he's got a few excellent scenes.

I'll be surprised if it goes beyond 2 more seasons...I actually thought they might end it next season. I just hope they don't get greedy and jump the shark....
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:04 am

Doakes is bad news for Dexter.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby thestray » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:34 am

I like Dexter's inner monologue. While it can get pretty repetitive, I think being in the head of a sociopath and seeing things from his perspective is what the show is all about. I don't see lessening the fright factor as a bad thing, I don't think Dexter is meant to scare the audience. In fact, I think the show kinda gets you into his murdering, haha. You can't wait for him to get his kill. Or is that just me? Haha.

I hope he'll be alright with the cancer thing. He's a talented guy. I look forward to seeing where his career goes.
thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 am

Yeah - I agree with you, stray, I don't think they're trying to scare us, in fact, I think they're trying to get us to sympathize with him, to make us feel for him on some level. I know I sure do.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:58 pm

thestray wrote:I think being in the head of a sociopath and seeing things from his perspective is what the show is all about. I don't see lessening the fright factor as a bad thing, I don't think Dexter is meant to scare the audience.
Yes, you're right, after I posted I thought about this exact thing. He's not supposed to be scary and the show wouldn't be what it is without that dialogue. I guess my thing is that it kind of leaves me cold but maybe it's supposed to. I like the cat and mouse thing of the ice truck killer and I imagine going forward that those types of storylines will be what really keep me interested as I don't care much for the individual characters on their own. My issue I guess is that I used to be big into serial killers (LOL) read every book, watched every film etc so some of the stuff about Dexter seems kind of cliche to me, it's like serial killer 101, the twist being that he only kills people who kill, which is weird but I'll go with it. Also I'm not easily scared. Really the only things that scare me are along the lines of David Lynch stuff, really bizarre crap like that, not serial killers anymore.
Last edited by SheWolf on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:04 pm

LauraK wrote:You'd better get used to the internal dialogue.....
Well providing that he never mentions the ridiculous Code of Harry again I'll be good to go. :lol:

LauraK wrote:Doakes. He figures in S2 so will continue to annoy you.....he's got a few excellent scenes. .....
I hope so. his brooding face and over the top tough guy crap it's like watching Nicolas Cage sometimes, it's so bad it's good.
LauraK wrote:I'll be surprised if it goes beyond 2 more seasons...I actually thought they might end it next season. I just hope they don't get greedy and jump the shark....
Yeah it's been on longer than most HBO or Showtime series.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm not sure I'll be able to watch if Dexter gets caught, just because I'm pretty sure of what he'll do, or what will happen to him...and I'm not sure I could handle that. I've just grown way too fond of his character... and now that he is a husband and father (I don't actually know that, I just saw the pictures on the showtime website looking for their rerun schedule. Way to be a spoiler, showtime), I just couldn't bear all of that. That's why I hope that, however many more seasons they go for, they end the show before that happens.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:37 pm

I hope that you guys don't get spoiled for the previous season. I'll be amazed if you don't.....all I'll say is, don't read or watch interviews with any of them regarding the show if you don't want to find out. It's pretty effing huge.

SW wrote:Well providing that he never mentions the ridiculous Code of Harry again I'll be good to go.

Aw, well, um......... :worry:

I predict you'll grow to like Dex's inner dialogue as he discovers new things about himself and makes some realizations and changes.

I don't think this show is about scaring anyone...it's just a hell of a fine drama that centers around a protagonist who happens to be a serial killer. :lol: Not your typical good-guy that you look forward to watching every week.

You aren't alone, stray. I think the vast majority of fans look forward to Dexter's kills because they deserve it. :twisted: I love the look of transport/relief on Dexter's face when he buries his knife or makes that killing cut.

(SW, I too was very into serial killers. Still have an interest but not as extreme as it used to be. Can't believe now what my Mom let me read....)

The whole premise is just so cool. While Harry was by no means perfect, if it hadn't been for him Dexter wouldn't have the moral "code" that he does. He probably would have been just like the Ice Truck Killer, having no remorse or compunction over who he took out.

Call me weird, but I wish we had a Bay Harbor Butcher who took care of the scum murderers who get off and wind up back in society.....
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

PreviousNext

Return to General