Tonight's the Night....to talk Dexter

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Tonight's the Night....to talk Dexter

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Do you mean season 4, Laura? cause if you're talking about him being a father, it's all over the showtime main page, no getting around that, but if it's for anything else, I haven't seen anything else, I'm trying to stay as untainted as I can. THOUGH, I have to admit, I'll read the Season 3 spoilers. I've got Season 3, BUT, I've got Season 4 on Showtime On Demand on my TV through 1/26/10 and I want to watch it before it goes away and there's no way I'll finish season 2, 3, AND be able to watch all of season 4 before 1/26.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:42 pm

No, it's something else. Just be careful what you read or listen to re S4. I'm so glad not to have known. Here were the faces of millions at the end of the season: :shock:

You need to see if you can get a VCR hooked up and maybe record what you have On Demand and wait to watch it! Dexter goes through an entire process each consecutive season that you really need to watch in the order in which it occurs! Seriously!

Or you could have a marathon viewing session of Dexter to the exclusion of almost all else in your life......which I know is impossible!

Oh! Or you could watch S4 on the compy, which is how I watched it......:)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Does Showtime allow you to watch it online or are you talking a not so legal approach? Lol! Also, we have a dvr but my on demand doesn't allow me to record from the on demand, but I could try the VCR... *ponders*
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:11 pm

I'll PM you a link...it's not downloading nor is it torrents. I just go and click the show I want and watch. There are some pop-up ads but once you're finally watching the show, no more pop-up. :)
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:50 pm

LauraK wrote:I hope that you guys don't get spoiled for the previous season. I'll be amazed if you don't.....all I'll say is, don't read or watch interviews with any of them regarding the show if you don't want to find out. It's pretty effing huge.

I don't think this show is about scaring anyone...it's just a hell of a fine drama that centers around a protagonist who happens to be a serial killer. :lol: Not your typical good-guy that you look forward to watching every week. ..

Kind of hard not to be spoiled for the past season, that info was all over the place. I don't know details though.
Maybe Dexter isn't supposed to be scary but I thought the serial killer storylines were meant to be scary. I only have S1 to go by so I things might change in the following season but I just find alot of that cat and mouse thing hoaky rather than suspenseful. I guess I can't suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy a serial killer playing such in depth mind games with people and everything fits so nicely together in the end. Every aspect of the guy's sickness can be explained via some childhood trauma. How convenient. As for him not being your typcial good guy, that's part of the cliche I think. That's a very trendy thing that TV shows have been doing for some time. I was thinking of 6 Feet Under the other day and comparing it to alot of other shows and the more I do that the more I appreciate it. There was some truly original stuff going on there.
LauraK wrote:The whole premise is just so cool. While Harry was by no means perfect, if it hadn't been for him Dexter wouldn't have the moral "code" that he does. He probably would have been just like the Ice Truck Killer, having no remorse or compunction over who he took out..
I don't care for the premise and the flashbacks as to why he is who he is, like he's the most fascinating human construction ever. :lol: And I think Dexter being like the Ice Truck Killer is much more interesting than being who he is.

I really sound like I hate this show don't I? Which is weird coz I do actually like it. Okay, I'll shut up now.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby deliriumtree » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:28 pm

SheWolf wrote: I don't care for the premise and the flashbacks as to why he is who he is, like he's the most fascinating human construction ever. :lol: And I think Dexter being like the Ice Truck Killer is much more interesting than being who he is.

The flash backs will be the least of your worries as you go through the seasons. I miss those now! hehe

LauraK wrote:You need to see if you can get a VCR hooked up and maybe record what you have On Demand and wait to watch it! Dexter goes through an entire process each consecutive season that you really need to watch in the order in which it occurs! Seriously!
Oh! Or you could watch S4 on the compy, which is how I watched it......:)

Oh, nifty I didn't know there was anywhere that had the shows up.

So you feel season 3 is vital then? I had suggested to Kelly on twitter that she could postpone it and skip to 4 since there's a time crunch. (darn it showtime! really why can't you just leave em up til the next season starts??) It didn't seem other than the main storyline much vital happened really. Overall I thought it was kind of Meh. 1,2 &4 I loved, 3.. not so much. Don't want to steer anyone wrong. lol
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby LauraK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:44 pm

I thought what he learned through his experience with Miguel was vital....hated the other serial killer side-story in S3.

SW, that's just it! It wouldn't be more interesting. Dexter is pulled all the time to be more like the ITK....but because of his "training" by Harry, and what I think of as his spark of humanity, he resists. He doesn't want to be a monster, so that already makes him different. But will he have cause to rethink Harry's code? :hrm: :worry:

It's not real, I know you probably can't train a sociopath, lol. But I love Dexter's struggle. If he were purely sociopathic and just went around killing indiscriminately the show wouldn't be as compelling.

I don't think they're trying to show him as being the most fascinating human construct ever, just showing us the fictional reason he became what he was. And how Harry recognized it and tried to mold him into using that compulsion to kill only on the most deserving was pretty original, imo. I know I've never seen it done before.

I agree with delirium that S3 was the weakest but that 4 was as good as 1. Man. John Lithgow needs a shiny award and so does Michael. I also thought Jennifer was terrific this season. That woman can emote! :lol:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:05 am

I'm about 99% sure I just had the Season 4 finale ruined for me while doing a completely unrelated search on google. I was searching for something ("how long does it take to digest gum"...don't ask, it's for school), clicked a link, it took me to like a yahoo answers thing, and I scroll down and what does one of the answers say (not the best answer, but anyone can submit an answer) but: Dexter Season 4: They shouldn't have killed off Rita WHAT!?? WHAT!?? Were they just TRYING to clog the internet with random acts of spoilerage? I was searching for GUM for criminy's sake? I mean...there's the whole story as to WHY that I don't know but I mean...COME ON.

I'm. So. peed.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby thestray » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:15 am

Oh man, I know how you feel. Same thing happened to me. Post spoilers without warning should be a crime. A Federal offense, haha.

Anyway, according to some tweets I saw earlier, both Michael C Hall and John Lithgow both won Gold Globes tonight! Yay! Go Dexter!
thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:19 am

Oh yay! They both totally deserve those awards!
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby kellysouthpaw » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:37 am

He so deserved it. Seeing John Lithgow all teared up really made me wanna cry. I'm all teary...
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby thestray » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:24 am

Wow. I knew he was going through cancer treatment, but for some reason I wasn't expecting to see him with the hair loss and the black beanie thing on. I almost teared up too, haha. And I really respect him for going up there and not doing a "pity me" speech or mentioning his ordeal at all like a bunch of other actors probably would've done in his situation.
thestray
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:39 am

I was so happy to see them both win!! So well deserved! :D

I did tear up, for both of them. And I totally agree with you, stray, on what a class act Michael is. I'd bet that if he didn't have the Golden Globes to attend, we might not have heard about his cancer fight until he had some hair grown back. :)
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Red » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:43 am

Very true, Laura. We may never have known. I read that some of his castmates didn't know and that he waited to announce it until after the Golden Globe voting was closed. Good on him for not wanting pity votes. Now he knows that he won because he really won not because the voters felt sorry for him. A lot of actors would have made the announcement as soon as they found out they were up for an award.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LauraK » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 am

:nod:

I forgot to post this before...Here's John Lithgow getting his win:

ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

PreviousNext

Return to General