It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:47 am

Sharing Ukulele Tips

A little cosy corner for our uke players to gather. Be you potential, beginner, intermediate or world expert on uke playing, this is the place for you.

Moderators: Nancy, SuzyBatt

Re: Sharing Ukulele Tips

Postby SparkyCola » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 pm

:lol: OK. My excuse for writing this is that I had just spent ten minutes staring at Jemaine over on the BT thread. I *told* you all he was making me lose my higher brain functions, lol. Um, as you all probably noticed but were too kind to point it out - this is actually a D chord. Not a B.

:lol: If it makes you feel any better I got B7 and Bm7 mixed up earlier. I thought it was odd when I read it - but had no idea that's a D chord. I always play D using three fingers for the G C and E strings second fret. Thinking about it though, your alternative positioning makes sense as a D too.

I have some more open questions for you all:

Do you know of any alternative positions of chords that you find useful for chords? I haven't really taken the time to learn any of the different positions and I am wondering if I should. (btw- if you click on the hand icon of that link i mentioned before, it shows the different chord positions.)

Question 2: Anyone use a capo? Is it worth getting one do you think?

Finally: Any tips for getting better at working out the chords of songs? I've managed to do one, super-easy one, and I found that a smidgeon of music theory was SOOO helpful, but I'm still mostly rubbish at it. Maybe I need to train my ear a bit more. :hrm:

Sparky
SparkyCola
Lost but happy at sea

Postby biscuit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 pm

I suck at working out chords as well :roll: Some of the songs I would like to play are impossible to find chords or tabs for and it's really annoying :P
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:43 pm

I have chord finders on my iPod so I have it at my fingertips whenever I need them.

Also, I learned, "If you're wondering if I want you to (I want you to)" by weezer just by trying different chords until it sounded right (weezer uses power chords and they usually tune their guitars a half step down so it's not as easy as finding the tabs online)...that will probably be the next one I record :)
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby biscuit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:45 pm

Chord finders? What? I need that right now!
biscuit

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Yep, it's called "Leleon" but I believe UkuleleUnderground recommends "ChordKumu" which costs like $3 USD, but I believe Leleon was free...I have both, and they're both good, but Leleon is also a tuner :)
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby biscuit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:47 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out :D
biscuit

Postby LauraK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:10 am

I have no musical background or knowledge, so I just have to search the net til I find tabs. And by tabs, I guess I don't really mean tabs, lol. I want songs that have the lyrics written out and the chords above them. Sometimes they're in the wrong place, but I work it out as I practice.

I can read tabs, it just takes so much longer.....and since I'm still doing pretty easy songs, it just works better for me.

I've also gone on YouTube and watched others play, pausing to try and figure out the chords they're using. :)

I'm kind of tarded but I'm learning...slowly but surely....
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby mockingbird » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:49 am

Tabs are a PAIN. :roll: I'm currently trying to figure out Belated Promise Ring by Iron and Wine on guitar using tab. GAH. I don't know why it's so hard, I mean it's RIGHT THERE all written out but I keep misinterpreting it. I've done it wrong like three times. I finally figured out the first three seconds of the song, lol. :roll:

Capos IMO are the kind of item that you don't need very often, but when you *do* they are extremely useful. I've never used one on my uke but I haven't been playing it very long and I don't know very many songs on it. I use one on my guitar sometimes.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby mockingbird » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:52 am

SparkyCola wrote:I always play D using three fingers for the G C and E strings second fret. Thinking about it though, your alternative positioning makes sense as a D too.

I curse bar chords on the guitar, but they are my best friend on uke, lol. I find it hard to cram all my fingers in a row on the uke fretboard. The narrow neck on a uke plus the nylon strings make bar chords so easy compared to the guitar with its big fat neck and steel strings, ouch.
mockingbird

Postby LauraK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm

mock, have you looked here for your song? This is what I always try for- lyrics w/ the chords above them. :D
http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/uke-songs/o ... 12402.html

sparky, that link I posted has alternate chord positions......:)
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby mockingbird » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:29 pm

Actually it's a finger picking song, so the tabs are extra confusing, lol.

Belated Promise Ring

OK I promise to stop talking guitar on the uke thread, lol. I need to go start my own guitar thread. ;)
mockingbird

Postby LauraK » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:02 pm

I had to use tabs to learn the beginning of Cats in the Cradle and that was hard enough with 4 strings! Can't imagine doing it on guitar. It's all about memorization....and repeptition. Now I can't find where I got those tabs....

This dude has tons of vids and has a lot of tips....

ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri May 21, 2010 3:16 am

Here's a nice little chord finder: just click the chord you need and scroll dow to see it and lots of variations. :)

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/C_Major/c_major.html
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Previous

Return to Uke players corner