It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:47 am

I Turn My Camera On

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

I Turn My Camera On

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:55 am

I know we've got a few photographers here, so I figured we could have a photography-themed thread to discuss cameras, show off favorite photos, tell random stories about photography-related adventures, and so on.

I'm doing Project 365 this year, in which I take a photo a day. I'm enjoying it so far, two weeks in, since I'm already having find different subject matter than I usually do. Not all my pictures are all that great, but I'm seeing where my mistakes are and thinking about it all much more.

Yesterday, I knew I was going out in the evening and to parts of town I don't visit quite as often, so I figured I'd take my camera with me and get some shots then. When I got to the train station to meet up with my friends, I figured I'd get a few shots off while I waited. I pulled out my camera, and lo and behold, no memory card! Gah! The worst part was during my walk home at the end of the evening, I saw a million things I wanted to photograph, because the city center just looks so lovely at night, especially with the holiday lights still strung up across some of the streets. Oh well. Another time.

Fortunately, I did end up getting a shot for the day when I got home. Thank goodness for pets! If you're stuck for a subject, you can always turn to them! My dog helped me out last night. ;)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Re: I Turn My Camera On

Postby biscuit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 pm

I love the Project 365 idea. Would it be ok to be a total copy cat? :eyelashes: I really liked the one with the lamp post:)

I have already taken quite a few pics due to the move. Everything is new and interesting here. And because of the frost everything looks so magical in a way. Yesterday I parked by the side of the road while on my way home from work to take a photo by request. Zebra's been asking if there are any Fjordings (Norwegian type of horse) around here, and I said I would snap one if I saw it.

Do you see the heart? :)
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:47 pm

Oh, how adorable! The heart is just the icing on the cake of cuteness!

The Project 365 idea isn't my own original idea, so you'd hardly be a copycat! :lol: Go for it! There are lots of groups on Flickr for it, too. You can start whenever you want. Some people do a self-portrait a day, others photograph the same object every day, and some of us take the easy route and just simply take a photo a day of anything! I remembered to take my camera with me when I went out for groceries this morning, and I finally got a shot that I've been meaning to take for the past few days. Not sure if it turned out ok or if it will be the one I use for today, but at least I finally got it!

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones

Postby Faith » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:58 pm

I love the Project 365 idea. I think I might start doing it too. It kinda reminds me of when I was a preschool teacher and I decided to make a collage of all the kids in my class and put the pics on our classroom door. It ended up taking almost 4 months to cover the door and it was interesting to look at because you could see the kids grow and change as you looked down the door. I was teaching 12-18 month olds at the time and it was amazing to see how much they had changed from month to month. The parents loved it and at the end of the year, I took all of the pics down and sent them home with the kids.

Found a pic of the start of my collage. I knew I had one somewhere:

I had to put clear contact paper over the bottom to keep them from peeling all the pictures off the door.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:19 pm

That such a great idea, Faith! Especially since you did get to see them grow and change along the way!

indigo_jones

Postby Sherry » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:15 pm

O I'll make an effort and join in with pic posting and stuff. Nice idea for a thread Indy :) I'll wade through my pics later and come back with a few for you.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Venus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:34 pm

I've got a few friends who are taking part in Project 365. I think it's a great idea but I doubt I'd be able to commit.

Nice thread, Indigo. :thumb:
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Val2150 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:39 pm

This is a great idea - if I didn't have the world's worst camera I'd definitely take part.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Technically, the point is simply to take a photo, even if it's with a camera phone. ;) :stick:

Oh, and this is the photo I went out to take today. I kept seeing this window display and loving the inclusion of the skates.

indigo_jones

Postby Panda..ness » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:00 pm

oooh i like that idea of project 365 too! i tend to sit & take photos when im bored so its perfect! i dont have that much of an exciting life though so the pics would be pretty boring.

ill post a pic of lincoln cos we went there on wed xD

Why did i get double stuffed?
Panda..ness
Consistently Mediocre

Postby biscuit » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Love these pics. Both the skate in the window and the Lincoln one.

The lamp posts in Panda's and in Indy's gave me an idea:) How about a little challenge. Theme of the week sort of thing, but very random. Let's say... car. So a car related photo this week. I bet we all would focus on different things and it would be interesting to see what we all come up with and why. What do you think?
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Ooo! Nice one! I took a ton of photos when I went to Lincoln (years and years ago).

ETA: Gah! I missed biscuit's post. I like the idea of a subject for the week. Now, if only I could find the Burberry Jeep I saw last year. ;)

indigo_jones

Postby Venus » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Ooh that's a good idea, biscuit. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby SheWolf » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:47 pm

Venus wrote:I've got a few friends who are taking part in Project 365. I think it's a great idea but I doubt I'd be able to commit.
Ditto that. Plus I take pics when I'm inspired, having to force it would kind of ruin it for me. It's like how I used to enjoy writing until the prospect of having to do it under a time crunch reared it's ugly head.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Faith » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:11 pm

I took a few pictures on my camera phone while out walking today. Nothing too exciting but it doesn't matter. I usually take pics when I'm bored. I'm guessing that most of my pics will be with my camera phone especially if I have to take pics everyday.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Next

Return to General