It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:17 am

Kristen Schaal

More commonly known as Mel to Conchords fans.

Moderator: Venus

Re: Kristen Schaal

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 am

Kristen has a great part on Modern Family tonight, playing the blind date of a guy she met online - Manny, the little kid. She's sporting a really different look for her, too.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 am

Nancy wrote:Kristen has a great part on Modern Family tonight, playing the blind date of a guy she met online - Manny, the little kid. She's sporting a really different look for her, too.

I just posted this on the "FotC isn't the only thing on TV" thread. I did some of this when I saw her :shock: :o :lol: :roll2: :rolls: :thumb:
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:40 am

Thanks, Kelly, I appreciate it. I wanted to get something posted for those on the West Coast.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:41 am

I thought she did a great job - my mom was cracking up at some of her lines. I also liked that little twist there at the end...
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:35 am

I was going to post this, too! Kristin was great! So funny. I squealed when I saw her!

(and I loved her blouse in the pre-makeover scenes!)
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:43 am

Me too, MM! I squealed too! It woke my dad up from his nap :oops: woops! I just was NOT expecting to see a woman that age coming to see little Manny, much less KRISTEN SCHAAL! My mom was laughing a lot at her lines and then when I said, "She played Bret and Jemaine's only fan on their show" she went :| "Hmm" and never laughed again. I don't know WHAT her issue is with FotC and everything related, but it's really starting to bug me.
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby vmh » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Kristen has a very small but hilarious scene in Valentine's Day. But I fear she might be getting typecast. As for the movie, it was your typical romantic comedy. It had relationships, conflict, and everyone seemed to get what they wanted in the end. ::yawn::
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:22 pm

I would go see Kristin as the romantic lead in a rom-com. Make it so, Hollywood!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:43 pm

I think I love Kristen. I went to Comedy Death Ray last night to see her and Eugene Mirman. We had dinner at a japanese restaurant next door before the show and guess who walked in? Yep. Kristen Schaal accompanied by two friends. They were sitting within earshot from us. Eugene came in shortly after. Their voices contrast with each other so well. :lol: I wanted to say hi but I didn't want to bother them during their dinner. I figured I would greet them outside. 4ever was making fun of me for "Mel-ing" Mel. I didn't get to meet them. :( It started getting crowded outside so when they left the restaurant, they aimed for a different entrance.

Other guests that came: Anthony Jeselnik, Nick Swardson, Kevin Nealon. Kristen came out after Anthony as a character named Kris Skol (Chris Schol?), a New York comedian who told mainly sexist jokes. After a few minutes she took off her baseball cap to reveal that it was really her the whole time (gasp!) and that we should all be ashamed of ourselves for laughing at such sexist humor. She said the whole audience looked like we needed to get laid and then shared with us a few pick up lines and taught us how to give "the most amazing blowjobs." :roll2: Stay tuned for her sex book.

Eugene came out after because he wanted to do business with us. He had a stack of business cards that he had been collecting and he wrote little messages of each of them. He passed them out to various audience members but my sister and I left empty handed. I wish I could remember a few of his inspirational messages but the only thing I could remember is that they were funny as hell.

Fans in Virginia - You could see Kristen at Arlington Drafthouse next month.

http://www.arlingtondrafthouse.com/?page=event&eid=491

Eugene has a few dates too.

Sun, Apr 11 Tearing the Veil of Maya Union Hall, Brooklyn, NY
Thu, Apr 15 Book release for the Believer's You’re a Horrible Person, But I Like You Jewish Community Center, San Francisco, CA
Sun, Apr 18 Tearing the Veil of Maya Union Hall, Brooklyn, NY
Thu, Apr 22 Radio Happy Hour University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
Sun, May 2 The Bamboozle Meadowlands Sports Complex, East Rutherford, NJ
Tue, May 4 Fairleigh Dickinson University (w/ Leo Allen, Michael Showalter, Kumail Nanjiani)
Wed, May 5 Eugene Mirman and Pretty Good Friends (w/ Michael Showalter, Leo Allen and Kumail Nanjiani) Black Cat, Washington, DC
Thu, May 20 John Wesley Harding's Cabinet of Wonders Le Poisson Rouge, New York, NY
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby vmh » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:53 pm

I also forgot to mention this but I think she might be making a few appearances on late night television soon. Think Kimmel, Letterman, Fallon. At least that's what they're aiming for.
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Venus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Excellent! Thanks so much for sharing your account of your evening. "Mel-ing Mel". :lol: It's a shame that you didn't get to meet them but I'm glad you enjoyed the show! I'm really looking forward to her set at the Birmingham FOTC show. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby LauraK » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:18 pm

Sounds like a great night, vmh! I'm sorry you didn't get to meet anyone.....next time. :)
Any pics?
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 pm

You can also see Kristen at the Lakeshore Theatre, Chicago on May 28th (2 shows) and May 29th (2 shows):

Kristen Schaal

Schaal got her first break when she was included in New York Magazine’s “The Ten Funniest New Yorkers You’ve Never Heard Of”. Since that recognition, Schaal has achieved much more; she performed at the 2006 HBO US Comedy Arts Festival where she won “Best Alternative Comedian”. Schaal has also won the Andy Kaufman Award, for “Best Female Stand-Up” at the 2006 Nightlife Awards in New York and “Best Female Stand Up Comedian” at the 2007 ENCY Awards.

Schaal has also performed and written for television and films roles, including, a role as Mel in the Flight of the Concords, a writer and consultant for the Season 11 South Park, as well as, appearing on the Daily Show as the “Senior Women’s Issues Commentator”.

Kristen Schaal appears as part of THE ART OF ECCENTRIC COMEDY subscription package.

Subscribers pay the lowest price and get the best seats in the house.

Source (click here for ticket info too)
&
Venus

Postby munchkin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:39 pm

I love Kirsten and was delighted (to say the least) when my FotC tickets arrived saying "feat. Kirsten Schall"!!

Can't wat to see them all
munchkin
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:12 am

ARTS & EVENTS

Funny Girl: Kristen Schaal

KRISTEN SCHAAL MAY be most famous for playing superfan Mel on HBO's "Flight of the Conchords," but the Colorado native is surprisingly busy: In addition to appearing on "The Daily Show" and "Modern Family," she has spent years toiling on the stand-up and improv circuits, telling her oddball jokes to audiences on both sides of the Atlantic. Between stints opening for Jemaine and Bret, she is currently headlining her own tour with comedy partner Kurt Braunohler.

» EXPRESS: Part of your stand-up routine seems to depend on twisting the audience's expectations for a joke. Can you tell me about writing toward that end?
» SCHAAL: To me, the most entertaining thing is to be surprised. The jokes that make me laugh the most are the ones that you think are going in one direction and then all of a sudden it's completely different. It just makes you think a different way. I don't know how I do it or if it works every time, but that's usually the goal. It shouldn't be too absurd, I think, is the trick.

» EXPRESS: In that regard, there's almost a parody of stand-up comedy built into your stand-up comedy.
» SCHAAL: I would agree with that. I spend a lot of time making fun of the art form of stand-up, or even making fun of the monologue. I just think it's so ridiculous sometimes. Stand-up can take itself too seriously, so it's fun to break it open to parody. I try to make my set a little more theatrical than regular stand-up.

» EXPRESS: How do you feel about "Flight of the Conchords" ending? Was that a surprise for you?
» SCHAAL: I felt like it was over when we were filming the second season, because during the first season there was a lot of talk about what we should do for the second season. But during the second season, there was really no mention of what should happen during the third season. So I got the vibe that this would be their last.

» EXPRESS: But you're all still touring together later this year.
» SCHAAL: It's exciting to be out with them for a couple of weeks. It'll be interesting to see how the live act will persevere after the show. I love to open for them. It's really a blast. But I'm not sure if this is their last one or the beginning of a new era of them touring live.

» Arlington Cinema 'N' Drafthouse, 2903 Columbia Pike, Arlington; with Kurt Braunohler, Fri. & Sat., April 9-10, 7:30 & 9:45 p.m., $20; 703-486-2345.

Written by Express contributor Stephen M. Deusner
Photo courtesy Avalon Management

Posted By Express at 12:00 AM on April 8, 2010

Source

"the beginning of a new era of them touring live" :pray:
&
Venus

PreviousNext