It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:54 am

Concerts

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Concerts

Postby vmh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:33 am

Peaches wrote:I think you'll find my first concert far more embarassing....oh yes, the magic that was Salt n Pepa! I was only about 11 or something, maybe 12, but I remember it...I can still recite the lyrics from the Very Necessary albulm!

Blast from the past! Salt N Pepa rules! More embarrassing tidbits: When I was in 4th grade, I was really into TLC. :roll2: And Coolio. Side note: Have you seen Cookin' with Coolio on youtube? It's ridiculous! :lol:

I saw The Stooges and The White Stripes in 2003 at Coachella. I was squeezed somewhere in the middle of the crowd and I couldn't move and all I could see was the back of some guy's head the entire time. It wasn't the experience I was hoping for. Eventually I had to get out and walk around so I watched them all the way in the back.

I forgot to mention, Yo La Tengo is amazing live! I still have yet to see The Magnetic Fields.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 am

funny schipperke wrote:Nice! I love the Illinois album, but the Michigan one is really great, too. And I have a soft spot for Detroit because my dad was born there.
I really love Casimir Pulaski Day but it also makes me want to cry.

Edited to add: I just realized that this recording is from ACL the tv show! I thought you meant ACL the music festival. This makes a lot more sense.

YAY Detroit! I have a soft spot for it cause Hubby's from there and I always root for the underdog. :) :(

'The dress looks nice on you' is also a really really good one!
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Val2150 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:51 am

My first concert was with my best friend in high school, BNL/Goo Goo Dolls/10,000 Maniacs. A '90's geek's dream come true :lol: But seriously, it was tons of fun and to this day I have wonderful fond memories of it.
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Emafer » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:49 am

CJ- I know that my parents took me to concerts before this, but my “First Concert” that I made my parents buy me tickets to was New Kids on the Block at Dodger Stadium :D

Vmh- I’ve seen Wilco a bunch of times, they are fantastic!

I don’t know why but I’ve never seen Flaming Lips but I would LOVE to. But I think that I’d like to get fairly impaired first which can’t happen for almost another 7 months :D

Some of my favorite bands to see live are
-The Black Crowes. EXCELLENT live show.
-Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
-Tom Petty. Tom Petty never doesn’t rule. I’ve seen him a couple of times live and he freaking kicks ass!
-Wilco, I’ve probably seen them a dozen times or so. LOVE.
-Marc Ford and the Sinners I’ve seen probably 20 times or more. When they were the House Band at The Malibu Inn I never missed a show. I was there when Marc Ford and Chris Robinson played together for the first time in 6 years. AMAZING show. It was magical.
-Slydell, there were the BEST BAND and then they flippin broke up
-Will Hoge- I never miss a Will show if we are in the same town.
-My husband, for all his faults and assets, he is really one of the finest musicians of our time. He’s so ridiculously talented. And the band he’s working with right now is really freaking cool and they do this seriously marshy country blues thing that is wicked awesome.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:47 am

The Black Crowes! :supz:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Red » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:24 am

I'm loving reading about everyone's concert adventures! I can't remember my first concert sadly. But some of the best ones I've seen have been Muse, the Arcade Fire, Bjork, Modest Mouse, NIN, Pearl Jam, Built to Spill, The Dead Weather (Jack White :heart: ), Them Crooked Vultures, Dave Matthews Band, Mastodon, Radiohead, Baroness, Flogging Molly, Mute Math, Cold War Kids. Really I might could go on all day. I go to a lot of concerts.

My biggest recent concert disappointments have been Mos Def (we stayed for 4 songs and he hadn't sung or rapped yet, just sort of incoherent ramblings, obviously under the influence of something, so we left) and Weezer (Rivers just paced back and forth across the stage with his head down and hardly sang at all, it was boring so we left early).

The band that I must see because I love them so much and have never seen them live is The Flaming Lips. But don't get me started on that subject.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:29 am

closet jemainiac wrote:The Black Crowes! :supz:

Heck yeah! And a couple of years ago one of our good friends joined them and we LOVE going out to see them.
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby funny schipperke » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:03 am

Red wrote:The band that I must see because I love them so much and have never seen them live is The Flaming Lips. But don't get me started on that subject.

They're playing Austin Music Hall just before sxsw. 8)
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby closet jemainiac » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:08 am

Id really like to see Jason Mraz in concert, and as mentioned before Sufjan.
closet jemainiac
---

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:49 am

My faves are all mentioned on these pages; so cool. Pearl Jam, RadioHead, WILCO, Flaming Lips! Arcade Fire!!

My first concert was Alice Cooper. My brother was babysitting and got stuck taking me, I was sworn to secrecy. I never did tell my parents manly because I loved Alice!! I thought my brother was so cool from then on. :supz: When my brother came to visit a few years ago, I took them to "Cooperstown" Alice Coopers restaurant, and after a waiter dumped a Jagermeister on my white shirt...Alice came over to our table, and he was so awesome and gave tons of stuff to me and my brothers family and we took pics etc. great bonding with my brother eh?

The band I have seen the most is "The Tragically Hip" from Ontario. I think about 24 times, over 12 years. They are my all time love.
Journey, saw them probably 10 times.
The Killers!!! great show
Flogging Molly, every St. Patty's Day
Korn used to be great..
never saw Led Zepplin but did see Page/Plant later
Bowie and Stones and Cher and Janet Jackson
Concrete Blonde and Siouxsie & the Banshees
Social D!! many many times
I have seen so many, but these stand out. I love music, all kinds.

Emafer, "can't get impaired for another 7 months"...did I miss something?
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Emafer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:01 am

I would have KILLED to see Led Zeppelin. If I could go back and time and do one thing, that would be IT. I Have seen Page and plant a couple of times. I've seen Jimmy Page and The Black Crowes and I've seen Robert Plant solo a few times and with Priory of Brion. Zeppelin is my alltime favorite band EVER and Robert Plant is my #1 :D:D:D:D
~Medium Em~
Emafer
---

Postby Red » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:11 am

funny schipperke wrote:
Red wrote:The band that I must see because I love them so much and have never seen them live is The Flaming Lips. But don't get me started on that subject.

March 12th my dream will come true! Thanks for the info, FS!
Red

Postby funny schipperke » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Red wrote:
funny schipperke wrote:

March 12th my dream will come true! Thanks for the info, FS!

You're welcome! :D
I'm still trying to decide if I should buy tickets for that or not. I haven't heard any of their new album... have you?
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Red » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Yeah I have the new album. I like it and Ben LOVES it. I think its better than At War With Mystics for sure.
Red

Postby Peaches » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:17 pm

Ooh Red, I like your music taste!

I forgot, I would LOVE to see Tom Waits live.
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

PreviousNext

Return to General