Look Through Any Window (The Weather Thread)

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Look Through Any Window (The Weather Thread)

Postby Nancy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Ahhh, snow angels, my favorite! :whitey:

Well, it's 5:30pm, we were due to get almost a foot, but the rain/snow line has made it a sleety/slushy mess, which I hate, because that means ice tomorrow when it gets colder. :evil:
I've been able to keep up with the accumulation by sweeping with my corn broom. (not call :D) I pushed the shovel once to the garage, and that's been it. I'd say unless we get another 10 inches, they got it wrong again. My local weatherguy said in my town there were 6-7". Hmmm. I don't see it. Where's the snow? :waiting:
Not that I'm really complaining... :worry:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby SheWolf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 am

Well here's another of my mundane yet creepily voyeuristic videos. The snow blower dude finally did my walk. It looks like about 8" here too Nancy.

90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 am

Were you hit last weekend with the biggie storm, or did it miss you?
I know Sully was expecting 2 feet from that one. :shock:
I wonder how Bibli made out as well. It sounded as though they were going to get battered again. :doomed:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby eorious » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:39 am

Chicago apparently got a record setting amount of snow yesterday (12.6 inches in one day) but where I live just north of the city I don't think we got more than 8 inches, and a lot of that has already turned to slush. Frankly any snowstorm where my Mini can still still make it down the alley without getting stuck isn't a very impressive storm in my opinion, record-breaking or not. :lol:

But I'll happily take my 8 inches over what people in other parts of the country have been getting.
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby SheWolf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm

Nancy wrote:Were you hit last weekend with the biggie storm, or did it miss you?:
Nope, we didn't get so much as a flake from the previous weekend storm. South Jersey got it instead. The north and west of the state usually gets hammered while the shore points down to Philly are usually fine so that storm was a bit of an aberration. When the storm began a local channel was broadcasting from where bibli lives.

Ooh Val, you have a mini? What color?

Edit: I haven't been into the office since my foot op but my boss told me they have about 2 &1/2 feet of snow (from both storms) :shock: I'm glad I live in what I call The Hot Pocket. This area always seems to get less snow then the surrounding towns.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:29 am

Well, yesterday we initially had about 6" of snow, then the temp warmed things up a bit and the trees literally started spitting slush. :shock:
Our final accumulation - at my house, about an inch, but just down the block (away from the water) 8". Go figure. :dunno:
The worst was the incredible wind. I tried to close the little garage door that always blows open in Nor'easters, but I literally couldn't fight the wind - 40-45mph. Glad there wasn't snow to drift around. :worry:

Whoah , they just said Dallas had 10" of snow. :que:
I thought Texas was getting all rain.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby eorious » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 am

So here's a picture I took of Lake Michigan on my way to a meeting this afternoon. I thought it was cool how it's covered with snow as far as you can see. It looks more like the surface of the moon than a lake.

And SW, my Mini is green. But my name's not Val. :lol:
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby SheWolf » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Cool pic eorious.

I love minis.

We had light winds yesterday Nancy, no biggie. There was a lot of snow on my car - I'd say about 12 inches deep, though the snow didn't look that deep on the ground.

I was surprised to see that one of the lakes near my house was only half frozen. Here's the non frozen part.
Attachments
P2112660.JPG
P2112660.JPG (129.17 KiB) Viewed 686 times
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Bumping this up to see how everyone is faring with the various weather problems/nice temps folks are experiencing.

I know the middle of the country has nice Spring temperatures. Glad somebody has nice weather! :D

In RI, they canceled school today and probably tomorrow because of severe flooding. I've never seen anything like it. The President declared the state a disaster area. Emergency shelters are open in my town for the first time since I moved back in 1993. They're usually open only during hurricanes. This has been worse. The road I use to get to route 95 is impassable - it just fell apart. It's not there any more! When the Pawtuxet River in Cranston is above 9 feet, it is in flood stage. Right now it's at 17 feet, expected to go to 19. :shock:

I have to say, I'm a little nervous as to what tonight brings. :nails:

How are the rest of you doing?
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby SheWolf » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Lots of flooding here. I've never seen anything like it.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby kipples » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:10 am

It's pretty freaky here at the moment too. Last week was really nice and I did lots of walking.
Since Sunday night it's been raining with some sleet mixed in for good measure and desperately windy.

Watching the news tonight there was a report from Cavan, which is up North. I honestly thought they were using stock footage from the middle of winter until the reporter was signing off in what looked like heavy snowfall. The blanket of snow was unbelievable for this time of year. Even the camera lens was all fogged up from the cold temperature.

If anything, at least it gives strangers something to talk about!

SheWolf wrote:Lots of flooding here. I've never seen anything like it.

What area do you live in?
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:06 pm

NJ, just outside NYC. We had a noreaster that brough 7 or so inches of rain a few weekends back and still haven't recovered plus we've had a few other significant rains since which isn't helping. The rivers are still over capacity. Its freaky to see the rivers are higher than the roads. The ground hasn't been able to soak up the water which causes the trees to become unstable and fall and a whole host of other problems. The weatherman said today that we will need about 3 weeks of no rain, sunshine and warm temps for the ground to get back to normal. My mother works for an insurance agency and in her 25 years with the company she's never seen so many local claims for flood damage.

Is Cranston near you Nancy?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100331/ap_ ... re_weather
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:44 pm

Yup - it's just about 10 minutes north of my town...on Rt 95...that's still closed...and may be...for several more days. :?

The two Malls in Warwick are flooded and will be closed for two weeks. Glad I don't have to clean up there. :roll:
The pictures of the mini-malls on the road near the Malls look devastating. They are partially submerged. I can't imagine their inventory can be saved. :(

Right here at the house, we've come through okay with nothing more than a flooded garage. I haven't ventured out today because the government asked everyone to stay home so officials could get to the road closure problems.

I need to get to the store kind of soon, not sure when I'll try... :nails:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby SuzyBatt » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:59 am

SNOWSTORM!!!!! It hasn't snowed since around February, the tulips were blooming, the Japanese lilac in back was turning green, my tree pollen (or whatever) allergies were going crazy. Just yesterday it was 17 C. And today - 4 inches of snow!!! Sure, 4 inches isn't that much, but it's super wet and heavy snow and it's been coming down since 6 a.m. and shows no signs of stopping (though it's supposed to do so overnight and be 11C tomorrow and up to 19 on Friday)

Argh! :bang: :bang:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby kipples » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:01 am

Where are you Suzy?
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

PreviousNext

Return to General