It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:59 pm

Despicable Me

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: Nancy

Re: Despicable Me

Postby Red » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:46 am

I'm not gonna lie. I'm going to be a little disappointed if for the whole movie his voice is so altered and enhanced that we can't even tell it's him. I'll get over my disappointment and enjoy the film, I'm sure, because deep down inside I'll know it's him. Jut seems like a waste to completely change such a rich beautiful voice to the point that the actor is unrecognizable.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby kellysouthpaw » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:36 am

Red wrote:I'm not gonna lie. I'm going to be a little disappointed if for the whole movie his voice is so altered and enhanced that we can't even tell it's him. I'll get over my disappointment and enjoy the film, I'm sure, because deep down inside I'll know it's him. Jut seems like a waste to completely change such a rich beautiful voice to the point that the actor is unrecognizable.

Ditto this 100%. Well said!
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:12 pm

I read an article recently about the production company that is making this film. What I got from it is that their take on making this movie is to not have it ride on the coat tails of famous actors, but rather to use talented people to help them create the characters. It seems, usually, that writers, directors, etc create a whole character and then make some "star" shoehorn in their voice, mannerisms, etc.

I remember reading an interview with J (someone posted it here I think) where he basically said they put him in front of a microphone and stood back to give him room to just do his thing...make up stuff as he went along....maybe Im wrong. I have no idea where that article is.....

While I think I would feel like I was missing out on J's voice a little, Id like to see how they use his personality and voice talent in the context of the movie. What Ive heard and seen so far has not really been enough for me to make a fair assessment.

Obviously J thought enough of the project to become involved. That doesnt necessarily mean he has any creative control over how they use his voice, but I think it will be good, and the J we know and love will shine through a bit (just look at the gapped teeth! :D )
closet jemainiac
---

Postby SheWolf » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:12 pm

kellysouthpaw wrote:
Red wrote:I'm not gonna lie. I'm going to be a little disappointed if for the whole movie his voice is so altered and enhanced that we can't even tell it's him. I'll get over my disappointment and enjoy the film, I'm sure, because deep down inside I'll know it's him. Jut seems like a waste to completely change such a rich beautiful voice to the point that the actor is unrecognizable.

Ditto this 100%. Well said!
Ditto to that. I don't have any desire to see this film anyway but I think it would be a shame to automate his voice into something unrecognizable. Anyone's voice would do in that case.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:25 pm

closet jemainiac wrote:I read an article recently about the production company that is making this film. What I got from it is that their take on making this movie is to not have it ride on the coat tails of famous actors, but rather to use talented people to help them create the characters. It seems, usually, that writers, directors, etc create a whole character and then make some "star" shoehorn in their voice, mannerisms, etc.

I remember reading an interview with J (someone posted it here I think) where he basically said they put him in front of a microphone and stood back to give him room to just do his thing...make up stuff as he went along....maybe Im wrong. I have no idea where that article is.....

While I think I would feel like I was missing out on J's voice a little, Id like to see how they use his personality and voice talent in the context of the movie. What Ive heard and seen so far has not really been enough for me to make a fair assessment.

Obviously J thought enough of the project to become involved. That doesnt necessarily mean he has any creative control over how they use his voice, but I think it will be good, and the J we know and love will shine through a bit (just look at the gapped teeth! :D )

I'd go see it anyway. And I'd giggle at those little gap-toothed clones.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby closet jemainiac » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:36 pm

cute!
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 am

Thanks for posting this, CJ. I haven't seen the beginning, but I've caught the rest twice, just now on NBC. It's cute.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Faith » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:10 am

That crazy giggle makes me laugh every time, not unlike somebody else we know. ;)
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Faith wrote:That crazy giggle makes me laugh every time, not unlike somebody else we know. ;)

:D :nod:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Red » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:23 pm

The little "ugh" at the end sounds quite familiar! :D
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:13 pm

haha you're right! :lol:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby onefeathertail » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Yeah, if the minions are indeed voiced by Jemaine, obviously any old actor wouldn't do.

An actor with the skill (or innate talent) to emulate a rapid-fire, ricocheting laugh was demanded and by Jove, they found him. 'Cos let's face it, he just has to laugh like himself in the end. :lol:
onefeathertail
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Aimee » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:34 pm

I just saw the Jemaine is the voice of a character name Tim...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1318596/
Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Ami » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:22 am

"If there's love involved, Jemaine probably did it."
Ami
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Venus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:08 am

Ooh I like this trailer, thanks for posting! Can't wait to see this film. :)

YouTube version:
Last edited by Venus on Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement