It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:07 pm

Ask me anything

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: Ask me anything

Postby mockingbird » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:39 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:
mohumbhai mania wrote:
PBI: nonch, I think that was the "untold tales of Maui" play

Thanks. I don't know anything about that one.

You know those pictures of Taika and Jemaine in grass skirts, and the picture of "Mr. Jemaine"? That's from that show. It was supposedly a very hectic funny show about Maori lore with puppetry, special effects, music and Jemaine playing a grandma!

I wish we could see that somewhere. Also the Frogs. I emailed Jemaine about it acouple of times, asking him to do something to make it available to us. No luck so far but I am tenacious. ;)
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Oh thanks, MM. I do remember that picture. A grandma?!?!?!? :lol: Lot's of cross dressing.

mockingbird wrote:Personally, I interpreted their current act as a send-up of their own sexiness. Like they're making fun of their own sexy image, or even maybe making fun of us a little bit for swooning over them. ;)

This blew my mind. I suspect you are correct. :lol: :oops: :roll2:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 pm

They are totally making fun of us. :lol:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:13 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:That makes sense, and judging from everybody’s answers to the first couple of questions on the ‘Twenty Things’ thread, most people don't find them particularly physically attractive the very first time they experience the Conchords, which I’m sure only enhances the absolutehilarity of the sexy songs. :
This kind of thing is interesting to me. It’s one thing to say that their humor makes FOTC sexy but that can’t be the only thing because, as an example, no matter how funny Todd Barry is he doesn’t become sexy to me.

nonchalant obsession wrote: I can understand why there are many who would like to put that genie back in the bottle somehow and experience the comedy the way it was intended.
I guess I can understand it but that doesn’t mean I support it. LOL. And who’s to say what was really intended? Jemaine admitted that they themselves put the idea of their own sexiness into our heads (he came up with the names Jemainiac and Breterosexuals as well) thereby creating the effect they now have on a significant portion of their female following. It may have been a surprise to them that it caught on but Jemaine has never seemed to show anything less than enthusiasm for it, even if it may freak him out a bit. :P

The more I see and know of FOTC the less I care about what they used to be. The fact that there seems to be essentially very little difference between what they were doing then and what they are doing now makes me nothing but proud of them at having garnered success on their own terms. I think their type of success story is a very rare and special one.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Deirdre » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm

SheWolf wrote:The more I see and know of FOTC the less I care about what they used to be. The fact that there seems to be essentially very little difference between what they were doing then and what they are doing now makes me nothing but proud of them at having garnered success on their own terms. I think their type of success story is a very rare and special one.

Fair enough. And it's great that people who come from many different perspectives can come here and enjoy each others' company.
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:48 pm

SheWolf wrote: And who’s to say what was really intended? Jemaine admitted that they themselves put the idea of their own sexiness into our heads (he came up with the names Jemainiac and Breterosexuals as well) thereby creating the effect they now have on a significant portion of their female following. It may have been a surprise to them that it caught on but Jemaine has never seemed to show anything less than enthusiasm for it, even if it may freak him out a bit. :P

yeah, what man (or woman for that matter) doesnt want to be thought of as appealing to the opposite sex?
Maybe Im the only one but I always thought they were attractive. THeir talent and humor was just the icing on the cake for me. Jemaine commented somewhere that sugalumps was a response to the songs My humps, milkshake, etc. Didnt he even say it was about time men objectified themselves like women did? The fact that they dont take themselves too seriously, but also let it be known they like to be thought of as attractive is, for me, the right balance.

The more I see and know of FOTC the less I care about what they used to be. The fact that there seems to be essentially very little difference between what they were doing then and what they are doing now makes me nothing but proud of them at having garnered success on their own terms. I think their type of success story is a very rare and special one.

:nod:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby SheWolf » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:32 pm

closet jemainiac wrote:They are totally making fun of us. :lol:

I think they may be subtlety mocking us. :P

closet jemainiac wrote:. Jemaine commented somewhere that sugalumps was a response to the songs My humps, milkshake, etc. Didnt he even say it was about time men objectified themselves like women did?
Dunno but if he did I say nice one :thumb: and bring it brutha! :rock: I think that role reversal stuff is very entertaining and very funny. The fact that Jemaine shakes his ass and bumps and grinds onstage is hilarious to me because it's typically something a woman would do or maybe a man who looks like a Chippendale & not like Jemaine. :lol:

closet jemainiac wrote:The fact that they dont take themselves too seriously, but also let it be known they like to be thought of as attractive is, for me, the right balance.
Ditto to all that. And I think the female adoration thing is mostly played for laughs on our part. I don't think they get followed by screaming girls down the street like they are The Beatles. I think we tend to interact with them in the same lighthearted & fun vein that they interact with us. :)
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 am

mohumbhai mania wrote:PBI: nonch, I think that was the "untold tales of Maui" play.

Even seeing the earlier clips, I do get the sense the Conchords were kind of flirting with the audience, playing around with the idea of the musician as sexy guy. I see their current more sexy stage act as evolving from that.

But I would give at least a couple of fingers to have seen them "back in the day" though!

Agreed. :nod: And yis, I do think they're subtly mocking us. ;)
Not surprising that we're discussing this particular topic at great length but it is quite interesting. :lol:

Thanks for your detailed answer, Sherry. Please do feel free to share anything new that you may have in your MP3 collection. You don't happen to have 'The Washing Song', 'Lullaby' and the unfinished love song 'The Scientist and the French teacher' in your collection by any chance or do these songs ring any bells? (song names taken from the 'About the band' section of their website)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby SheWolf » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 am

All I ask is to hear the full version of Frumpy Lady once before I die.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:30 am

Why have I not even heard of these songs before? :hrm:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Venus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 am

SheWolf wrote:All I ask is to hear the full version of Frumpy Lady once before I die.

:lol: :nod:

CJ, the songs I'm talking about are just mentioned in the 'About the band' section of the FOTC website. 'Frumpy Lady' is from Part 3 of the BBC Radio series.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby closet jemainiac » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:39 am

ah yis...
Someday I'll get around to listening to that BBC radio thingy... :lol:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby kellysouthpaw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:40 am

closet jemainiac wrote:ah yis...
Someday I'll get around to listening to that BBC radio thingy... :lol:

Oh CJ you just HAVE to listen to it. It's SO hilarious!
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby Sherry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:32 pm

vmh wrote:I'm drawing a blank right now. I have a million questions about Jemaine but they're not all appropriate. I liked reading about everything you've shared so far. Nonch probably has better questions about the Conchords up her sleeve. I do have a question about the message board history.

Most users ever online was 114 on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:19 am

Holy deity, that's a lot of members to be online at once! According to the knowledge I've acquired through wikipedia, Sally Returns premiered on July 15, 2007. Did anything else happen on this particular Sunday to explain why so many folks logged on that time?

Quick answer as am running around like a loon atm.

Around the time the series was due to air interest in them picked up a great deal. But this place was still the only site with anything more than a few lines of text about them. So it got traffic. I recall that we jumped from 50gig of data or so a month being shifted to over 500GB during the TV series airing. The increase in traffic to the main site and the forum was huge. Also at the time this was really the only place where most of the (then) available songs could be found. Much of what was and is online from pre 2006 originated from here. People downloaded stuff, put it elsewhere, others grabbed it and so on. But it was pretty much all here first. Once the TV series aired of course there was newer versions and material.

The forum just saw the same big leap in traffic as the main site. The site still does a fair chunk of data each month and has done so since the TV series aired. Before that it was quieter but people who knew of the Conchords knew we were here.

Hope that helps :)
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby vmh » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:28 pm

I hope it's still okay to ask another question while you're still around.

I understand that your decision to stop running and updating WTF! is a personal one. But it makes me curious-do you know something that we don't? I know you can't answer for the guys but I'm asking you because you usually seem to know what they're up to before we do.

What do you see happening with the future of Flight of the Conchords and Bret and Jemaine's respective careers? During our massive west coast get together, a lot of us were afraid to talk about it but I'm sure many of us feared that it might be their last US tour. I hope to god that's not true but I also don't see their collaboration going on for much longer unless they have another special project (a new album, a Christmas special, etc.) in mind. Because Jemaine has MIB III and Bret has Two Little Boys. That'll keep them working for another year but what then? How much longer do you think they'll continue FOTC before they decide to call it quits and focus on other things? Have they ever expressed to you what they might like to do in the future outside of FOTC?

I understand if you don't feel comfortable answering this. I just thought I would throw it out there.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Previous

Return to Flight of The Conchords