It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Bret set to star in the film "Two Little Boys"

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Bret set to star in the film "Two Little Boys"

Postby Venus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Ideas to benefit Southland pitched
By ALANA DIXON - The Southland Times
Last updated 05:00 10/04/2010

NICOLE GOURLEY/The Southland Times
PLANS FOR GROWTH: Gary Hannam, the producer of The World's Fastest Indian, in Invercargill yesterday.

Gary Hannam is a man with plans for Southland.

The producer of The World's Fastest Indian spent the past two days in Invercargill, pitching ideas aimed at benefiting Southland's economy to community leaders, before heading home to Switzerland yesterday afternoon.

His first idea was for Invercargill to play host to Swiss motorcylists Ruedi Steck and Markus Saegesser, and American woman Leslie Porterfield, during the annual Burt Munro Challenge in Invercargill.

All three hold world speed records in Bonneville, Utah, where Munro set world records in the 1960s. Mr Hannam said he hoped their presence would attract more international competitors, and "lift a successful event to an international level".

It would bring financial rewards not only to Southland, but the rest of the country, he said.

Mr Hannam's second concept was to involve students from the Southern Institute of Technology in the production of a new film, Two Little Boys, directed by Kiwi filmmaker Robert Sarkies.

Five students at the SIT had been given internships during the filming of The World's Fastest Indian.

He wanted SIT's budding film-makers to be given a chance to work on the film, set to star Bret Mckenzie, of Flight of the Conchords fame, and Hamish Blake, one half of well-known Australian comedy duo Hamish and Andy.

Mr Hannam said he did not have any personal interest in the film.

His desire to see both projects go ahead was simply because he enjoyed seeing projects he had helped start continue to be successful, he said.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Bret is set to start in the film "Two Little Boys"

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:20 pm

:biggrin: How exciting!
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: Bret is set to star in the film "Two Little Boys"

Postby Venus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Oh I see, the book "Two Little Boys" was written by Robert's brother, Duncan Sarkies. On the cover Jemaine has a quote saying:
'Twisted, surprising and very very very funny. Did I put too many verys? I don't think so' - Jemaine Clement, Flight of the Conchords

:lol:

From Amazon (about the book):
Product Description
Review
'Twisted, surprising and very very very funny. Did I put too many verys? I don't think so' -- Jemaine Clement, 'Flight of the Conchords' 'It's not often you read a novel which makes you laugh out loud over and over again as you turn the pages. Two Little Boys is one of those books: quick, clever, twisted, acutely funny' -- New Zealand Weekend Herald 'Darkly comic ... there's more to this than the exquisitely farcical plot ... This has elements of a truly great "70s stoner-buddy movie" ... it's a funny, disturbed road trip that also revels in the glorious New Zealand landscape' -- Time Out 'Idiotically funny ... hilarious and heart-rending' -- The List 'A laugh-out-loud romp ...[Duncan Sarkies] has a brilliant ear for dialogue and an innate sense of timing ... somehow he's managed to make his first novel funny, chilling and incredibly touching' -- Press Association 'This might be the best thing to come out of NZ since Flight of the Conchords... A dark, filmic thriller' -- Big Issue 'It's all here -- funny, manslaughter, attempted murder and a short road trip and a love story' -- Greenock Telegraph 'Gem of a novel ... a well thought-out, challenging and hilariously dark read' -- TNT Magazine 'Duncan Sarkies' TWO LITTLE BOYS is a bogan buddy novel from New Zealand... the novel has a bit of Cheech and Chong, a touch of Dumb and Dumber, a pinch of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure... Sarkies has a rambunctious sense of humour, and it will appeal to the young-adult market.' -- The Age (Australia)

Product Description
This book has got a lot of good bits. It's got penguins and toasted sandwiches. It's got a dead cat and an incredible climax. It's got a really little dolphin. It's got sea lions. It's got God. It's got a really cool lighthouse. When Nige runs over a Norwegian backpacker while attempting to save petrol, his life really turns to s***. He throws the body in a nearby road works and runs to his best mate of fifteen years, Deano. The trouble is, Deano's not really the guy you should turn to in a crisis.

Source

Yes, very exciting stuff! :D
&
Venus

Postby vmh » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:06 pm

That's awesome! Duncan wrote some of my favorite FOTC episodes. I'm looking forward to reading the book.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby mohumbhai mania » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:20 pm

ooh, it looks like another Predicament-like book cycle!

And good for Bret - I think he could do dark comedy brilliantly, so much of the Conchords TV show was gallows humor.

ITA: and it's a helluva lot easier to find it. I got my copy from Amazon UK for about $11 total. it was a pence plus shipping.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Red » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:02 pm

:yay: This sounds wonderful! Yay for Bret movies!! The book sounds really fun - a good summer read.

Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Venus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:39 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:ooh, it looks like another Predicament-like book cycle!

And good for Bret - I think he could do dark comedy brilliantly, so much of the Conchords TV show was gallows humor.

ITA: and it's a helluva lot easier to find it. I got my copy from Amazon UK for about $11 total. it was a pence plus shipping.

:nod: I ordered my copy from Amazon UK. Can't wait to read it over the summer! :D

vmh wrote:That's awesome! Duncan wrote some of my favorite FOTC episodes. I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Yes both of the episodes he wrote are amongst my favourites (New Fans, S1 and A New Cup, S2).
&
Venus

Re: Bret set to star in the film "Two Little Boys"

Postby Faith » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:26 am

I used to read the Southland Times everyday. And yay for a new Bret movie! :yay:
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Val2150 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:33 am

Ohmigosh! Bret AND Hamish Blake? That sounds awesome!
"You do not choose sexy. Sexy chooses you." -mohumbai mania
Val2150
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Venus » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Yes, Hamish is a funny guy! This looks set to be a great film. :D
&
Venus

Postby Gracie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:07 pm

:D yes! i love hamish too. Bret and hamish together will be sooooo interesting! :rock:
La La La La

This is outrageous, this is contagious...So...futile.
Gracie
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:37 pm

I'm going to start or bump a thread for Duncan Sarkies. Since the book is unavailable in the US at this time, I'm more than willing to send my copy around after I've read it. When I get it.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:44 pm

I'd definitely love to read it. :)

Here's an interview with him from 2001 (!) that's quite funny. Interesting to wonder who he might be talking about in the last big paragraph. :)

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/per ... etry/78274
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby closet jemainiac » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:36 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:I'm going to start or bump a thread for Duncan Sarkies. Since the book is unavailable in the US at this time, I'm more than willing to send my copy around after I've read it. When I get it.

I ordered it off amazon this week. Its coming from South Bend Indiana.:dunno:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby Sherry » Sat May 15, 2010 9:20 pm

I read this book back when it came out.

Truthfully, I didn't like it. Had some funny moments, lines, but it just turned me off. I guess if Sarkies was going for dislike then I guess its well written when you really don't like the lead characters. And it turns you off the book.

I may go back and read it again and try to look at it differently.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Next

Return to Bret McKenzie