Think about it

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Think about it

Postby vmh » Sat May 01, 2010 4:58 am

Here's a strange, hypothetical question that I didn't know where to put.

If you knew of Bret & Jemaine before the HBO series, don't answer.

If you discovered Bret & Jemaine through the HBO series, think about it.

First, clear your mind. Consider your Conchordian preference for a moment. Jemaine or Bret? Choose one. You don't have to state it here, just think about who it is in your mind. Think about the characters they played on the show. These were the characters you were first introduced to before you met them, caught a glimpse of their real life selves, seen them in other roles, etc.

Now imagine that they switched characters. Jemaine played the role of Bret on the HBO series and Bret played the part of Jemaine on the HBO series. Every line and action that Bret had on the show is now played by Jemaine and vice versa. Bret was the prostitute. Jemaine bought the cup. Bret dressed as casual prince. Jemaine was the prince of parties. Bret is the slightly rude, goofy one. Jemaine is the naive one.

Now, are you still as attracted to your chosen Conchord as you originally were? Even though they are just characters, did the actions of those characters influence who you are more attracted to?
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Re: Unpopular opinions?

Postby LauraK » Sat May 01, 2010 5:03 am

I'd need to actually see that in action, vmh. :geek: Perhaps 2 new seasons with them flipping their characters.

Someone mention it at a M&G, won't you? :halo:

(I'm sure i'd still be all about Jemaine...)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sat May 01, 2010 11:10 am

Interesting, v! I can say with 98% certainty it wouldn't change for two reasons: 1. My initial reaction to Jemaine was physical - I love a man in thick, black rimmed glasses, dark hair, and tall ogre-in-a-library features. 2. They are both funny. It's not like one played a funny character that would be seen as more "attractive" as the other. And I am attracted to humor as well. Jemaine, being the on I was (and am) initially drawn to attractive-wise, and also being funny as Bret's character, I'm pretty sure I'd still be a Jemainiac. But, as a scientist, I have to reserve that last 2% just in case :lol: you know how we are ;)
kellysouthpaw
She's like Switzerland

Postby biscuit » Sat May 01, 2010 11:48 am

Interesting concept:)

I don't think my preference would change much, for the same reasons Kelly mentioned. It's no secret that I am a Bretero, and in many ways despite his character in the show, seeing as I don't usually go for naive men.

Also, what made me really prefer Bret was the interview shot while they were filming Prince Of Parties, where he was talking about favourite shows (naming Blackadder as one of them) and flying back home if he could go anywhere. :love:
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat May 01, 2010 4:13 pm

Well I technicially knew about them before the show (ONS)...and thought Jemaine was funnier ...and the shoulders! the snake hips! :shock: There is something about a man that can be sexy while trying to pretend like he's not and being silly about it all at the same time...:love: (Mr. CJ and Jemaine have that in common :lol: )

I think my attraction grew even more as a result of his character on the show...sarcastic, a bit rude and a know it all...it makes for funny situations....funny is sexy...and like Kelly has mentioned...the glasses are a big part of his charm and appeal.

Honestly, I could have been a bretero if Bret played the rude, smarty pants one...(but shhh! Dont tell Jemaine...:sofa: ) Im sure it would have worn off pretty quick though once I got a glimpse of the real life Jemaine... :heart:

I dont deny that Bret is a handsome man...he just doesnt do it for me like Mr. Jemaine 'Snake Hips' Clement. :drool: :D
closet jemainiac
---

Postby ItsAllRyche » Sat May 01, 2010 4:48 pm

I totally agree with the Jemaine votes. I still prefer his broad shoulders and stronger features. I was attracted to the smile, and yis those lips :heartbeat:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby SuzyBatt » Sat May 01, 2010 6:10 pm

This is a no-brainer for me too. There are things I love about both characters so I don't think a role-reversal would have made much difference. It wasn't Jemaine's role that attracted me...:waggle: It was Jemaine ALL THE WAY. I found myself constantly looking at him when they were both in the same shot, even before I realized I found him attractive. No contest, really. Sorry Bret... :goodman: :hug:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby closet jemainiac » Sat May 01, 2010 6:14 pm

:lol:
closet jemainiac
---

Postby deliriumtree » Sat May 01, 2010 9:13 pm

That sort of blew my mind for a minute Vmh! But, I think even with role reversals it would still be Jemaine for me. I like nerdy boys. Glasses on a guy? Very nice! 8) Funny guys are very hot, and it's totally a requirement for me, but there's a good bit of shallowness going on there too. hehe Now if Bret also wore glasses? I'm not so sure I wouldn't bi-conchordian. Blasphemous as that sounds to me, because we all know Bret is magical! That one episode where he wore glasses confused me though for a few seconds... :hrm:
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby jillbean » Sun May 02, 2010 12:22 am

I just cannot do it. I try to imagine them with reversed show roles and my brain comes to a screeching halt.

Here's why I consider myself to pretty much be BiConchordian; I love Jemaine's character on the show but find Bret the more attractive of the two (what can I say, I like shy, weedy guys!). In "real life" I go back and forth between the two...this may explain why I like my husband so much-he's a shy weedy guy that also wears glasses (plus he wears a corduroy sport coat every now and again not to mention periodically doing the facial hair thing); I get the best of both worlds!
jillbean
Consistently Mediocre

Re: Think about it

Postby Sherry » Sun May 02, 2010 9:10 pm

This was better as its own topic so I've split it from the other one.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Aimee » Mon May 03, 2010 2:50 pm

This is quite an interesting question, vmh :hrm:

I think I would still have to say that I would still be attracted to J. For pretty much the whole first season I tried to understand how and why I was so attracted to Jemaine. I mean he was kind of rude, sometimes even mean to Brett, and he never ever smiled--but still, my eyes were always glued to him. And I fully understood that Brett would be considered the more attractive one by most people in general, but even that bit of logic didn't work. I didn't really come out of my denial until The Cup episode. When I saw that and thought, "this guy is not only hilarious but is willing to be the butt of the joke, and he has a hot bod!" I just couldn't deny his sexiness after that. Then I saw pics of him outside of the show, and well...
Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 pm

:love: :thumb: well put
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon May 03, 2010 3:34 pm

The new cup episode will go down in history for me... I dont think I ever squeeeed so loud in all my life. As if I didnt find him attractive already, his dance moves for sugalumps and like you said, Aimee,...being willing to be the butt of a joke and really ...a sense of humor is just as attractive as snake hips and slutty clothes..... :lol:

Yes Bret is prettier, in a sense, but that doesnt outweigh Jemaine's manly-ness.

me watching sugalumps---> :shock: :o :drool: :clap:

:D
closet jemainiac
---

Postby closet jemainiac » Mon May 03, 2010 3:45 pm

deliriumtree wrote:That sort of blew my mind for a minute Vmh! But, I think even with role reversals it would still be Jemaine for me. I like nerdy boys. Glasses on a guy? Very nice! 8) Funny guys are very hot, and it's totally a requirement for me, but there's a good bit of shallowness going on there too. hehe Now if Bret also wore glasses? I'm not so sure I wouldn't bi-conchordian. Blasphemous as that sounds to me, because we all know Bret is magical! That one episode where he wore glasses confused me though for a few seconds... :hrm:

Somehow I missed this earlier..... :lol: I was confused for a second too!

"Bret is magical!" :roll2:
closet jemainiac
---

Next

Return to Flight of The Conchords