What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
LauraK
 Post subject: Re: Gentlemen Broncos - A film
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:28 am 
Boom King!

"Put me on page 69....that's all I want..."

"Awright......awright...."

*she's a bit verklempt*

"Thank you for that...."

"You're so welcome." :love:

"Please watch Gentlemen Broncos....
It's shitting good." :thumb:

Nancy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:38 am 
Persona Non Regatta

Good one, Kelly. Thanks for posting it.

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:30 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Seems as though Gentlemen Broncos is going to be released on the 30th of April in the UK. :)

The Mirror:

Quote:
Film review: Gentlemen Broncos
By Mark Adams on Apr 25, 10 04:06 PM in

12A, 89 mins Opens Friday, April 30

THE STARS

Michael Angarano, Jemaine Clement.

THE STORY

Teenager Benjamin (Angarano) attends a fantasy writers' convention where his story is stolen by famous but fading writer Ronald Chevalier (Clement).

THE VERDICT

This bizarre and oddly enjoyable film is made by Jared Hess (who made cult movie Napoleon Dynamite).

Clement, from TV's Flight of the Conchords, is great as the pompous sci-fi writer who has no qualms about stealing Benjamin's schlocky story.

3 FINAL CUT Oddball cult affair of niche interest

Source

In The News:

Quote:
Gentlemen Broncos
Monday, 26, Apr 2010 06:45

Directed by Jared Hess, released April 30th in cinemas, starring Michael Angarano, Jemaine Clement, Sam Rockwell, Jennifer Coolidge, Mike White, 90 mins.

Michael Angarano and Jemaine Clement in Gentlemen Broncos

What’s it all about?

Homeschooled sci-fi enthusiast Benjamin (Angarano) sees a chance to escape his smalltown Utah upbringing when his attendance of a writers' camp provides the chance to see his fantasy novel Yeast Lords: The Bronco Years published. Benjamin's dreams for his book turn nightmarish as low-budget filmmaker Lonnie (Hector Jimenez) buys the rights to Yeast Lords only to tarnish the story with his handmade adaptation while Benjamin's hero Dr Ronald Chevalier (Clement) attempts to salvage his ailing career by stealing Benjamin's story for his own novel The Chronicles of Brutus and Balzaak.

As an example...

"It is such an honour to be in the presence of so many juvescent, ripe minds." – Chevalier

"I'm completely distressed, I can't even concentrate on my audiobook narration." – Chevalier

"You stole my story!" – Benjamin

"I don't know what you're talking about." – Chevalier

"All you did was change the character names and turn Brutus into a tranny." - Benjamin

What the others say

"The relentlessly (and overbearingly) quirky imagination of filmmaker Jared Hess yields diminishing returns in his third feature." – Frank Scheck, Hollywood Reporter

"A deeply weird movie that bears no signs of any interference from any Hollywood types. For better or worse, this is what comes out of Hess' brain when he's left to his own devices." – Eric D Snider

So is it any good?

It's a shame to note that the third film from director Jared Hess and his wife and co-writer Jerusha sees the worst aspects of his previous two films indulged to such an extent that a potentially excellent comedy becomes barely watchable. Gentlemen Broncos features the same homemade credit sequence, plucky loser lead and self-conscious weirdness of Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre but ups the off-putting self-indulgence that hampered those films and throws in some ill-fitting gross-out for good measure.

The film becomes a hugely frustrating experience because of its early promise, with Sam Rockwell tremendous value in the three renditions of Benjamin's story (the original, Lonnie's adaptation and Chevalier's theft) and Clement the scene-stealing wonder beloved by fans of Flight of the Conchords. The New Zealander's intonation and timing are pitch-perfect for the stonewash-wearing pompous sci-fi writer, and the comic promise of an early scene – in which he explains the protocol of naming science fiction characters by adding "onious", "anious" or "anous" – means Chevalier's later appearances only serve to remind you of the cult classic this could have been. Sadly, the appealing Angarano, Rockwell and Clement are let down by the Hesses' penchant for drawing out supposedly comic scenes to the point of discomfort while a kissing scene drenched in vomit represents a new nadir in gross-out cinema. The casting of Hector Jimenez as aspiring auteur Lonnie is mystifying, with his appearance and demeanour creepy to the point of nauseating, and the filmmakers seem so concerned with fleshing out Benjamin's depressing and drab home life that the script repeatedly, and damagingly, darts away from Chevalier's theft of Benjamin's novel, comfortably the most compelling aspect of the film.

There are fine ideas and characters on display here, with Clement a hilarious highlight and some seemingly affectionate pastiches of the profundity of science fiction. But with the Hesses' problems with pacing and tone growing more severe as their career continues, Gentlemen Broncos is a hugely disappointing missed opportunity.

5.5/10

Lewis Bazley

Source

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Aimee
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:13 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

Yay!!! So I finally saw this movie over the weekend and I thought it was awesome!!! My husband and I laughed throughout the film, especially at Jemaine. The first time J comes out (for his presentation at Cletusfest) my husband was like, "Oh my god his jeans!!!" and I was like, "his jacket!!!" and then my husband said, "his HAIR!!! It's so poofy!" We pretty much laughed at everything J wore in that movie and every scene he came out in was pretty hilarious.

I also liked the other characters and think that the actors embodied them well. Each character added their own interesting and funny element to the movie. Lonnie was just bizarre but I couldn't stop laughing at him and his bizarre-ness. Overall I thought it was a really funny and entertaining movie. Like the review Venus posted said, it probably would have been better if they had followed the plagiarism by Chevalier angle more in depth, but the movie was about Benjamin and his experience, really. Jemaine just did such a good job that we all wanted to see more of him :lol:

I never thought I would fall for Chevalier but I did. *sigh* I'm seriously contemplating buying the movie and watching the classroom scene over again because I thought it was freaking hilarious (and to pretend I am one of the students.... :doomed: )

Great H
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:13 pm 
Stop touching the monkeys

Well here I am wandering in about six months late as usual, and this film STILL hasn't been released in NZ. (Very soon though, I think). But I got free tix to an advance screening and saw it tonight - YAY! :cheer:

I must say it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be - Jemaine and Sam were both brilliant! Those costumes - awesomely awful! LOL! I especially liked the Surveillance Does and the Battle Stags (that Hess fella has a heck of an imagination!), and the way Jennifer Coolidge ran up the road screaming at one point. :lol:

I think because I'd talked myself into thinking it was going to be a terrible film (apart from Jemaine of course!) I enjoyed it a lot more. There wasn't even that much gross-out humour – OK there was a bit, but it was really mild compared to what I was expecting. Hmmm... :hrm: might try this technique again, I hate it when I go in expecting great things from a movie and then get something really 'blah', or worse, just bad, instead. Note to self... *lower thy expectations!*

Anyway, all in all a good night out in the company of my 2nd favourite Conchord! :D

(Now I'd like to see what Jem could do with a real movie role - ie, 'straight' acting. Don't fancy my chances much tho...)

Faith
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:21 pm 
A pastry chef and a sniper

kellysouthpaw wrote:
Here's a new interview (well, new as in I haven't seen it yet. It actually looks like it was filmed at Fantastic Fest with the others) via @conchordsnet's Twitter...pretty funny :)

http://ngtv.nogoodworld.com/gentlemen-broncos-jennifer-coolidge/View-1480

I'm a bit late to the game... I don't know how I missed seeing this interview before. He seemed amused yet embarrassed about accidentally turning her on with his talk of his chest hair. He's very proud of it obviously. I mean we've all seen the pictures. :snakeman:

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:28 pm 
---

I think aggressive women like Carrie Keagen intimidate Jemaine...since he's a "shy" person ( a shy person that dresses in spandex and shakes his moneymaker :P )

SheWolf
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:27 pm 
Boom King!

It could be the other way around. Since he's shy he likes an assertive woman to get things going. :waggle:

slut_angel22@yahoo
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:25 pm 

I think he's a gentleman and she's just brash. I didn't see anything that hinted at him liking her at all...

His heart throbs are the women of this forum! Everybody knows that...

closet jemainiac
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:27 pm 
---

:lol: :nod:

Nancy
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:38 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

Yis! :nod: :yay:

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Aimee
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:43 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

My prayers have been answered :halo:

DangerMouse
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:42 pm 
Consistently Mediocre

Great H wrote:
Those costumes - awesomely awful! LOL!

My sister just saw this while on her spring break at my house and thinks the best part of the movie were the costumes 8) Sourcing that many terrible outfits is not an easy task :lol: The best horrendous outfits HAVE to be the matching clothes they have on when they go to the 'premier' :P

(* I dared my sister to do her next production as an homage to Gentleman Broncos and she flatly refused because she likes living indoors :( )

DaMango
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:53 pm 

Hee hee... the chest hair discussion was right up my alley. I've been a fan of it for years now. Never goes out of style. Don't ever get rid of it, Jemaine!

Jennifer Coolidge is coming to town in October. I didn't know she did stand up or solo shows, so I wonder what that's all about. I'm tempted to go just so that I can ask her what it was like filming Gentlemen Broncos. :lol: And all those awesome Christopher Guest movies too, of course.

And if she ever got to be close to the aforementioned chest hair.

Nancy
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 9:02 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

Ah yes! She's a master of improv. Best In Show - one of my favorites. :rolls:
I'd love to hear what she has to say about how filming went.

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next