What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Sherry
 Post subject: Re: 20 Things
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:46 pm 
Professional Blonde

OK, I'm wandering back to this a bit late.

Taika, when I met him was a really lovely guy. Tired, jaded a bit with Edinburgh but decent. I never got arrogant from him at all.

I think, much like Jemaine and Bret, a lot of what Taika does in front or behind the camera and into the mike is an act. Its playing up to the myth or perception. Or how he wants to be perceived. Also Taika strikes me as being quite liberated in his ability and tends to turn his hand to much more. I think he goes with the flow but has to be a strong person to be able to deal with it all.

Also I think he has a different sense of humour and tone to either Bret or Jemaine. They may be good friends but they are very different personalities. Taika I always felt was quite dark in his writings, his tone, his approach to filmmaking. Even the humour was dark. It wouldn't surprise me if he is quite a dark person also. If that makes sense.

I also think they all use their humour to keep their distance from people they don't know. They all pull it out when they are confronted with press and so on. Taika would be the weirdest one to interview I am sure. Hardest one also as I don't think he gives much away at all.

SheWolf
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:56 pm 
Boom King!

I've never met Taika but all of your perceptions are in line with my thinking about him. Aside from the arrogant bit but as I've said before I suspected that was an act.

And I agree that B&J most likely use humor to distance themselves a bit because ultimately I see them as fairly private.

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:57 pm 
Can Attack!

I like Taika a lot. I like his edge, and the fact that he's comfortable with his feminine side. He feels like a truly original person to me.

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:08 pm 
Boom King!

Agree with all of that & that's precisely the type of person that I am usually drawn to but something about him is unappealing to me sometimes and I can't quite nail down what that is exactly. And I don't see any of that genuine warmth in him that Bret & Jemaine seem to give off so effortlessly.

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:10 pm 
Can Attack!

I dunno. I saw him interviewed at Sundance, and hanging out with the young star of Boy, and he seemed very engaging and warm. I do think that he does, as Sherry says, puts jokes to cover real feelings sometimes.

I am bike-cheese!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:14 pm 
Boom King!

I think so too. I'll quit knocking him now. :lol:

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:23 pm 
Can Attack!

1) First time you stumbled into the Conchords? Not literally :p Was it the TV show, on the radio, a pic somewhere....
I was at my sister's house and she said I would love them. I saw "Drive By". I did.

2) Who did you think was hotter based on that first impression?
I thought Jemaine was more striking and Bret cute and scruffy.

3) Has this opinion now changed? If so, divulge why
I think they are both smokin' hot in different and entirely complementary ways. Bret has those stealth cuteness that sneaks up on you, so I can call myself Bi-Conchordian now.

4) Chops or no chops.
Whatever lifts their luggage. (thanks, Dan Savage!)

5) Beard or no beard.
Same

6) Favourite Conchords song to date? Any particular reason?
"The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room". It shows off Jemaine's voice, and it was when I developed my Tiger Beat crush on him. It also is really lovely and hilarious whenever and wherever it's performed.

7) Your current favourite pic of Jemaine or Bret. Please post and share
It's the dueling spandex outfits on Demon Woman on tour now. Rowr.

8 ) Do you resemble Mel in any way shape or form?
Erm. I'm taking the fifth.

9) We adore you, but we really wish you...........
Would come to Minneapolis and do a proper meet and greet this time! And hang around for record shopping and thrifting and Vietnamese sandwiches in my favorite neighborhood.

10) Thongs. Underwear or footwear?
Yes

11) Favourite Conchord quote? From TV/radio show or someplace else.
"I'm a person, you're a person, that person over there is a person."

12) Your most prized piece of Conchords merch? (share a pic if you have one)
Mine are beloved, but pretty standard.

13) Who has more pics of Jemaine - SheWolf or Mockingbird. Discuss.
The minute one of them buys a 2T external hard drive for their collection, they are the winner.

14) On the upcoming European tour what are you hoping to see most?
Pics and reviews from wonderful WTFers

15) Following on from #14, what do you want to see least?
Photos from inside an ash cloud.

16) What's your favourite other project outside of the Conchords. Either Bret or Jemaine or both.
Tongan Ninja

17) Dinner with the Conchords. What would you cook?
Pizza with their faces on it.

18) Best Conchord moment ever.
Seeing them come out in last years' Demon Women clothes in Minneapolis. Hilarious. Also, them (and the audience) imitating the fire alarms.

19) Have you ever dressed as a Conchord or anything related to them for Halloween (or other party).
No.

20) Have you ever attempted to spin a wheelbarrow or worn a white tracksuit with red stripes while out in public.
No, but I have a red tracksuit with white stripes I have worn in public.

I am bike-cheese!

SuzyBatt
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:33 pm 
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Ooh, thanks for digging this one up. I was thinking about finally posting to it, but couldn't remember where it was!

1) First time you stumbled into the Conchords? Not literally :p Was it the TV show, on the radio, a pic somewhere....
Hubby introduced them to me, after having been introduced to them by a couple of MALE friends! It was showing on the Canadian Comedy Channel, and we'd gone by it numerous times without once stopping. My reaction when he told me about it was, "THAT show is supposed to be FUNNY?!?"

Neither. I thought they both looked freakish, and I couldn’t get over just how scruffy Bret was, for someone who was on TV!

3) Has this opinion now changed? If so, divulge why Um, yeah! :waggle: I found myself STARING :shock: at Jemaine increasingly. Then hubby pointed out that he was considered the hotter of the two, after having done some research... (at that point, I was still unaware that either of them was hot!! :lol: ) So I did a little research of my own. The rest is history...
I still think Bret is a little too scruffy at times...

4) Chops or no chops.
I like my chops marinated, on the barbecue. Nuff said.

5) Beard or no beard.
Meh. The beard can be good. No beard is usually better. :sofa:

This is an impossible question to answer. But I do really enjoy Most Beautiful Girl in the Room everytime it comes on. Something about Jemaine’s initial “yeah yeah” makes me a little weak in the knees.

You’ll find the entire SET in the current Jemaliscious thread. :tonqe:

I would SO pay for it! No I wouldn’t… I would, I would pay you so much. :P

would give me an opportunity to see you live... :sad:

Aren’t they those things you use on the barbecue, when you’re flipping your chops?

“Wear the eye-patch Bret. Wear the funky, funky eye-patch.” That gets used in our house regularly, with ‘eye-patch’ being replaced with whatever needs to be worn, mostly by my daughter.

The magnets from the last tour. I’m not big on merchandise.

I think they should join forces and become a Jemaine photo super-power. As long as they used those powers for good.

Well, it isn’t so ‘up-coming’ anymore… But I’m really liking what I’m seeing so far. Just want to make sure there are enough different outfits for a long, drawn-out smackdown afterwards, though. :waiting:

Sad WTF’ers who didn’t get a meet & greet.

16) What's your favourite other project outside of the Conchords. Either Bret or Jemaine or both.
WIUO
(and the script I’m writing, for Jemaine…)

Um… chops. And maybe shrimps too. On the barbie, of course.

Jeez, I don’t have one. The episodes on TV and the pics on my computer are great, but come on. I haven’t seen them live!!! If that ever happens, THAT will be my best Conchords moment. And if I ever meet them, well… :thud:

19) Have you ever dressed as a Conchord or anything related to them for Halloween (or other party).
No, but I’m thinking about the tear-away pants and glam-rock spandex.

20) Have you ever attempted to spin a wheelbarrow or worn a white tracksuit with red stripes while out in public.
Yes, ‘spin the wheelbarrow’ is quite common in rural areas around here, especially amongst teenagers. But the white track suit? Too many grass stains.

stephv27
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:54 am 
Half a shapely halibut

My sister suggested the show. I was skeptical. Her recommendations are hit and miss (mostly miss). I was home sick with the flu and bored out of my mind, so I gave in. I think my first giggle was at "most beautiful girl in the.... room". The laughter increased exponentially from there. “Did you walk on the outside of her?”, the situation with the light, “We wanted ones like Daft Punk”, Bret going on Jemaine and Sally’s date, Jemaine used to go on Bret and Sally’s dates, Mel and Bret’s awkward hug, every moment of I’m Not Crying, THE HAIR HELMET :roll2: , and the genius that is the binary solo. By the end of the episode my weak, ill stomach was also sore from laughter.

I didn't find either of them hot initially. :sofa:

3) Has this opinion now changed? If so, divulge why
Oh my has it changed. Their humor made them increasingly attractive, as did the fact that they are such down to earth decent guys. Then I began to notice their other… um… talents. :waggle:
Bret drew me in first with his puppy dog eyes, scruff and curls. I noticed Jemaine second. Who knew an ogre that works in a library could be so **** fine. The casual prince outfit sealed the deal and I became fully biconchordian. I found burly manliness squeezed into a ladies blouse irresistible. (I'm not the only one, right? :worry: ). We need a word for that combination of hilarious and sixy that only they can do. sixlarious? hexy? :roll: That makes them sound like witches. I’ll work on that.

4) Chops or no chops.
Yis please. I'll take my Conchords however I can get them.

5) Beard or no beard.
I prefer scruff to full beard.
The Manson pic scares the Brejesus out of me. :shock:
Dr. Chevalier stirs some naughty thoughts, but I always feel queasy and ashamed afterward.

This changes depending on my mood. I'm really digging Hotties lately, probably because its sort of a straight song from them.

currently: the rock god spandex pics from this tour :drool:
before this tour: the Amoeba pics, no- the pics from that meet and great when they wore capes, no- any pic of Jemaine in a slutty V neck... wait no- Bret's arm pic...... no- Bret eating...... um, what was the question?

I would totally buy a super straw from them. and some nut loaf. and the other thing. :snakeman:

Is it greedy to ask for another tour before this one is over?

Footwear. I've been turned off by the other kind ever since Oprah talked about bacteria migrating from back to front. :sick:

You'd have to be deaf to hear that.
runner up: all the "situations" (ridiculous Russian doll situation, high pressure situation, the whole situation with the light, Yoko Ono situation, beard or no beard situation, Fleetwood Mac situation...)

The doily stickers from last tour. I want a real doily that looks like that.

SuzyBatt wrote:
I think they should join forces and become a Jemaine photo super-power. As long as they used those powers for good.
:lol: :nod:

Bret and Jemaine (and Nigel) having fun.
Lots of WTFers with memorable stories. :D

An audience like the one in Washington DC last tour. The hecklers sucked all the positivity out of the arena. The worst heckle was well intended, but backfired. A guy heckled the hecklers and shouted "Shut the **** up and let them play!" Bret asked someone up front what the guy had said. They both must have misunderstood because Bret replied "Oh, shut the **** up and play. I guess we better do a song then.” :cry:

WIUO :rock:

:sing: fish tacos... delicious…

I’m hoping it will be meeting them after the Vegas show. :pray:

I have a few Conchords inspired fashion purchases that I wear- stripy socks, a Team Building Exercise ‘99 shirt, a denim blazer, a piano key belt - but not on Halloween.
and not all at the same time :shock: :roll2:

No, but I’ve been known to shake my booty on an escalator.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7