What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC

LauraK
 Post subject: Re: Channel 4 UK TV Pilot (Penelope Princess of Pets)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:45 pm 
Boom King!

How does it fare against the web series in your opinion? Just as good, better?

Surreal and silly is just how I remember it, lol. :thumb:

Venus
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Yeah, it didn't lose that feel that the web series had which was good to see. They did have to tweak the storyline slightly since it was set in London and for it to include Julian Barratt who played a Member of Parliament of Barking and Dagenham (a Greater London borough) instead of a US senator. Other than that, there wasn't a huge difference between the web series and the TV pilot. It obviously had a bigger budget (well, maybe not considerably bigger :lol:) but the actual puppet animals they used were pretty much the same too. :D

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

helgecko
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:06 am 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Oh good! :D
I thought the shoddiness if the puppets etc was a big part of the charm of the youtube series.

Image Image Image Image

vmh
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:00 am 
A tasty piece of pastry

I really can't wait to see this. I hope it's available to US viewers sometime soon and that it gets made into a series.

And a big congrats to chickenkarma! :yay: IIRC, she goes to my school but I have yet to meet her.

sunnyringo
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:40 pm 
Half a shapely halibut

Venus wrote:
...but the actual puppet animals they used were pretty much the same too. :D

I love that when Ruby was flying they didn't even try to hide the strings. :lol:

Venus
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:40 pm 

helgecko wrote:
Oh good! :D
I thought the shoddiness if the puppets etc was a big part of the charm of the youtube series.

:lol: :nod:

sunnyringo wrote:
I love that when Ruby was flying they didn't even try to hide the strings. :lol:

Yes! You could see the strings on the puppets on many occasions, particularly the time when they were following the dog. :lol:

Venus
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:41 pm 

Quote:
A Future For Penelope?
April 21, 2010
by didymusbrush

© Avalon

The pilot episode of Penelope Princess Of Pets has aired on Channel 4 this evening, and is naturally now available via 4od to UK viewers.

The show was the brainchild of Flight Of The Conchords star Kristen Schaal, alongside collaborator Kurt Braunohler – and was produced by Mighty Boosh producer Spencer Millman. Not only did it feature Julian Barratt as wicked MP Thomas Stone, but the ever wonderful Barunka O’Shaughnessy (Beehive, Bo! In The USA, The Mighty Boosh) and the sublime Simon Farnaby featured in surprise cameos!

To view the show again, visit the 40D website now. A YouTube version will be available soon, and we’ll provide a link as soon as possible. If we hear anything about an international broadcast, or even a link to a version our readers outside the UK can legally view, we’ll let you know!

We here at The Velvet Onion utterly adored the show. It was quirky, lo-fi and utterly charming, and had some wonderful one-liners – my personal favourite being: “Something to remember me by, when you’re dead!” . And if the feedback to the pilot on Twitter is anything to go by, the demand for more episodes is very strong indeed.

Yet despite all this talent on offer, at the moment, there are no plans for Penelope to return – unless Channel 4 are convinced to commission a series. And with Thomas Stone escaping to be evil for another day at the climax of the episode, we really need to see Penelope take him down. Plus, a mooted Alice Lowe cameo in the pilot wasn’t possible due to schedule clashes, which just makes us long for further episodes all the more!

This is where you, dear readers, can get involved. The campaign for Penelope’s return starts here!

Simply visit the Channel 4 website and tell them how much you loved the show and would like to see more. Click here to be taken straight to the place where the pleas must go.

Source

LauraK
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 pm 
Boom King!

Quote:
“Something to remember me by, when you’re dead!”

That line sounds like something Action Fighter would say to Tongan Ninja, lol!

Please send in lots of praise! If I could, I would. :D

Panda..ness
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:38 am 
Consistently Mediocre

I felt the need to say that the review up there is written by my lovely friend didy ;D he had to write a review about half an hour after it aired haha.

I really want it to become a series, its too good!!

Why did i get double stuffed?

Venus
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:29 pm 

Excellent, kudos to didymusbrush. :thumb:

The Independent:

Quote:
Comedy Lab, Channel 4

Seven shows in the Comedy Lab strand have mixed appeal, but there are enough laughs to make it all worthwhile

Reviewed by Robert Epstein

Sunday, 25 April 2010

Kristen Schaal in Penelope Princess of Pets

Comedy is difficult to get right – for every Outnumbered, fizzing with smart dialogue and natural performances, there is a Big Top (the circus-based show so risibly bad it was offensive).

Complicating matters, there is undoubtedly an audience for innocuous pap such as My Family – going for a decade now – making it acceptable to schedule such middle-of-the-road fare as Life of Riley, the defiantly mediocre Caroline Quentin sitcom that reached its conclusion on Wednesday.

So the seven experimental one-off shows broadcast last week as part of Channel 4's Comedy Lab strand had quite a balance to strike – between being innovative enough to convince the commissioners to give them a full season, and sensitive enough to forge as broad an appeal as possible.

Ever since its inception in 1998, the quality of Comedy Lab's output has been as irregular as the intervals between its airings. Notable alumni include Ricky Gervais and Peter Kay; less happily, it has also hosted some stinkers that have sunk without trace. So, to which end of the spectrum would its latest collection tend?

The first programme up for inspection was iCandy, a showcase for Irish impressionist Liam Hourican. There was good: Hourican's mimicry of Louis Theroux, interviewing Hitler in his bunker ("I'd never met the most hated man in history before, but I hoped we'd get along") and Peter Stringfellow – a spot-on vocal imitation as the legendary lothario teaching young hoodies a thing or two ("I give them a steak and a dance, and they turn into gentlemen"). There was bad: a TV life coach who used to be a mobster. And then there was ugly: the Mancunian driving instructor whose moods swing faster than you can hit the dashboard. Hourican has talent – but he needs help with the writing.

Airing directly after was the sketch show Happy Finish. A Ghost Whisperer pastiche hit the mark ("Get her to ask me a question only I'd know the answer to." "Where did we have our first kiss?" [Long pause] "Get her to ask me another one"), while a skit about the quotidian vapidity of time travel played impishly with expectations. But the high point was the introduction of the Department of Internet Hate – an underground government arm that writes those ferociously derisive comments that appear under YouTube videos, with invective just short of Malcolm Tucker's finest. Only an odd piece about the fatal consequences of illegal downloading really failed – puerile and not nearly as clever as it thought.

The same cannot be said of Penelope Princess of Pets. Written by and starring Kristen Schaal from Flight of the Conchords. It did not try to be too clever, just surreal. Penelope has 3,769 hours to save the world by killing Thomas Stone MP (Julian Mighty Boosh Barrett), and stopping his fiendish plot to start a war between humans and animals. With crackerjack repartee ("Is she dead?" "Not technically." "Figuratively?" "No, but Sam says she is to him") and a delightfully silly sensibility, this is a show with legs.

Far less likely to get an extended run is The Secret Census, in which comedian Jack Whitehall asks: how honest is Britain? For example: would people lie in court to save ex-Hollyoaker Gemma Atkinson? (Not surprisingly, more men than women would.) The only twist was that none of those taking part in the "poll" knew they were taking part. As a barometer of the state of the nation, it's pretty simple stuff, and Whitehall can do better than this.

Next up was Filth, a sitcom set around a lads' mag. Filled with clueless idiots who don't exist in real life and a nastily juvenile approach to sexual politics, it made Two Pints ... seem like The Likely Lads. When Danny Dyer is the best thing in a show, you know it's time to move on.

MovieMash, a spoof film-review show co-written by Dan Renton Skinner (Angelos Epithemiou from Shooting Stars), had some merit. Its twisting of celebrity interviews (the best being with Steven Seagal – largely because he gives such odd answers anyway) was passable, but it was its short features that stood out, most notably a motion-capture filming of Vera Drake.

Finally, Hung Out desperately wanted to be Peep Show, but lacked its quality. A house-share sitcom, its dialogue was realistic – but so much so that it wasn't always terribly funny.

Just as some of these shows will fail, it will be the successes that we will remember. And the ultimate congratulations must really go to Channel 4, for continuing to devote airtime and resources to a project that will keep the country chuckling.

Source

Egbert Nobacon
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:45 pm 
Lost but happy at sea

For those in the UK, Penelope Princess of Pets is still on 4oD, although it will disappear in a few days' time.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/come ... od#3055933

vmh
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:51 pm 
A tasty piece of pastry

Nooo! I'll never get to see it. :cry:

Nancy
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:12 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

I'm surprised HBO doesn't pick it up. C'mon, bring Penelope to the US!!! :hammer:

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!