It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:10 pm

How to eat a kiwi

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

How to eat a kiwi

Postby SheWolf » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:53 pm

and other how to, or Heloise type stuff can go here.

After eating kiwi every morning for breakfast in Amsterdam I've become addicted to the fruit. I bought a bunch, ripened them and purchased a grapefruit spoon to dig the meat out but it's awfully messy and I find that I'm wasting quite a bit of the good stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions for how best to cut a kiwi up?
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Re: How to eat a kiwi

Postby jillbean » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:04 pm

Sadly, I do not. Nor do I have a good technique for cutting up a mango, so should anyone have ideas for that please share! I currently cut off the sides and then stand and eat the "meat" off of the seed over the kitchen sink! Classy, I know. :D
jillbean
Consistently Mediocre

Postby biscuit » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Oh! A kiwi fruit... *tries to hide disappointment at not finding raunchy tutorial*

I cut mine in half and eat it with a tea spoon. This should work fine if it's ripe enough :nod: If it isn't and I don't have time to wait I cut off the ends, slice the peel off, cut it in a few pieces and eat with a fork.
Thanks to Ariadne at RAC for my gorgeous new avi :-)
biscuit
Give me some scruff and a leather jacket...or just the scruff

Postby Faith » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:49 pm

:lol: biscuit.

It is a kiwi fruit. I learned while in NZ that if you say you want to eat a kiwi, it means something totally different there.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby vmh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm not sure if Faith and I are on the same page but my mind went straight to the gutter when I read this title.

I cut mine into slices. Some people eat the skin but I usually just peel it off once it's in slices.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Peaches » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:23 pm

I don't eat the skin, but I eat it the same way Faith does :) It should be soft enough to scoop out but not too soft so that is collapses when you eat it.
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby LauraK » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:26 pm

My mind went straight to the gutter with the rest of you. :) We are the gutter girls, after all.

I love kiwi fruit! I just peel it and slice it in about 1/4" sections widthwise, and eat it! I love the crunchy seeds... My hubby won't eat it and I like to gross him out by saying that I'd imagine eating a tiny beetle might feel like this as it's chewed up. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Peaches » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:28 pm

Haha urgh.

I love passionfruit, strawberries and fresh kiwi fruit on pavolva with lots of cream....mmmm...

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby DaMango » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:42 pm

jillbean wrote:Sadly, I do not. Nor do I have a good technique for cutting up a mango, so should anyone have ideas for that please share! I currently cut off the sides and then stand and eat the "meat" off of the seed over the kitchen sink! Classy, I know. :D

I eat quite a few mangoes, which makes me a cannibal I guess. :lol: I used to cut the skin away with a small knife, then slice the fruit of of the seed, but it was messy and time consuming. Now, I usually cut the fruit away from either side of the seed, then I'm left with 2 mango halves with the skin still on. I make a few vertical cuts into the flesh (without piercing the skin) and a few horizontal cuts, so that it looks like a checkerboard. Then, you turn the skin inside out, to make the cubes of fruit pop up like this:

Then, just cut the cubes away from the skin with a small knife. I'll cut the little bits of fruit away from the seed too. I don't want any of that fruit going to waste. :wink:

Sometimes, I'd rather have my mango in slices, so I have to peel it. The other day, I had success peeling a mango with a veggie peeler, but I had to use a knife to make the initial cut, because the peeler wasn't sharp enough to pierce the skin. I was able to peel it very quickly that way.
DaMango
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Peaches » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:40 pm

God that looks so yummy!

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches

Postby eejm » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:43 pm

*snickers* Hee...

I don't like kiwis (the fruit, that is). My mom is very enamored of them and would always slice them crosswise and put them into fruit salads when I was a kid. I don't know why she didn't just slice them up for herself, since she was the only one who liked them.
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:06 am

:help: If someone provides me with just the right kiwi, I'll be happy to demonstrate. :D
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby biscuit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:08 am

You would, wouldn't you! :lol:

(Get in line...)
biscuit

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:19 am

So biscuit, do you spit or swallow? The seeds I mean. :whistle:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby biscuit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:21 am

Oh I definitely swallow. I hear it's good for you.... The vitamin C and all :halo:
biscuit

Next

Return to General