Seen any good movies lately?

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
katie1030
Giving the paper to the people

Re: Seen any good movies lately?

Postby katie1030 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:44 am

I really want to see Toy Story 3, but Kelly is about the 10th person that I've heard has cried during it. I don't know if I'm up for it. I swear, I cry more in animated movies than any other kind. My sister and I rented Up a few weeks ago and only watched about 20 minutes of it because we were already crying. :rolls:

funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby funny schipperke » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:44 am

I just saw Toy Story 3 last night. I didn't cry, but I definitely got really teary-eyed. They really know how to tug at your heartstrings.
I also thought the 3D was unnecessary.
Image Image

katie1030

Postby katie1030 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:49 am

If I do go see it, I'm going to have to find a theater that isn't in 3D. The last movie I saw in 3D was Coraline and it was really irritating to watch. I don't wear glasses but everything always looks blurry to me with those glasses on, like my eyes can't properly focus on anything.

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:55 am

The thing I really loved about the first two Toy Story movies (but especially the original) was how FUNNY it was. My dad and I watched it a couple weeks ago with Des (who was completely mesmerized, by the way), and he and I were laughing SO HARD the WHOLE TIME.

Toy Story 3 is NOT that way. It has it's funny (REALLY funny) and amusing bits, but it's, more than anything, a sad/dark movie. But still brilliant with a great storyline/message.

katie1030

Postby katie1030 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:46 am

Yep, that's what I keep hearing- that it's a lot different from the first two but still fantastic. I'm sure that I'll see it sometime in the near future. As much as I loved the other ones, it would feel wrong not to see this one. :lol:

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:52 am

My parents just got home and asked me to sum it up for them and I seriously cried just summing it up for them.

They laughed at me :cry:

But one thing's for sure: my sister can NOT see this movie. She has a serious problem with getting rid of her old toys (we have boxes and boxes of our old toys in the basement that she will NOT get rid of) and this movie may very well traumatize her...and that's as much of a spoiler as I'm giving :lol:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:26 am

I'm amazed to hear that there were empty rows of seats, kelly. I would have thought this would be a weekend sellout.

I'm so surprised to hear both your comments about the sad/dark side to this one, FS and kelly. Our reviewer didn't mention one single thing about it being a tearjerker, and I would think he would have at least touched on it.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kellysouthpaw

Postby kellysouthpaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:28 am

We don't have a lot of movie goers in my town unless the movie is of the "Twilight" persuasion, if you catch my drift :roll:

katie1030

Postby katie1030 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:39 am

Aww, Kelly. :rolls: That's actually really sweet. It absolutely sounds like something that I would do. Nine times out of ten I cry in animated movies.

And I can empathize with your sister. Before we moved, our basement was FULL of my and my sister's old toys and stuffed animals that we absolutely could not part with. We eventually realized that we couldn't keep it all and got rid of/donated most of it. There are still a couple specific things that we will never get rid of, though. My sister has a stuffed dog that our grandparents gave her when she was like two and I have this stuffed baby gorilla that my mom got me. Those are the two things that we're super attached to. Like if we're going out of town for more than a few days, we pack them in case something bad were to happen to the house, at least they would be safe with us. :rolls: :roll2: :oops: It sounds a lot crazier when I type it out than it does when I rationalize it in my head. Perhaps I shouldn't have admitted that. :bolt:

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:56 am

Awww, you guys. :goodman:
It is tough to get rid of memories of a less complicated time, but knowing they can be passed on to someone without any toys is a good feeling. I'm in the process of purging my garage that's full of Amy's stuff from grammar school through high school and beyond. Oy! What a daunting task! :doh:
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Deirdre

Postby Deirdre » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:25 pm

Mr. D laughed a lot. I did tear up at one point. It was nice to hear Kristen's voice. But mostly I was wishing it was over. I'm not a kid's movie person. I know, bah humbug. :D

We saw "Please Give" the other night. That was good. Human drama. All dialog. But that's me. You guys enjoy TS3! :supz:

jillbean
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby jillbean » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:01 am

Just got back from seeing it; it was enjoyable (don't pay the extra $ for the 3D though) and sweet but as it went on it occurred to me more and more that it was directed at the audience of people that were kids when the first one came out and that are now in college themselves. And that totally worked because about 1/3 of the people in the near-full theater we went to were college age girls and they were bawling in the scene where Andy is describing each toy to the little girl!

Since I work in a place where our stuff gets beat to heck on a daily basis the scenes of the caterpillar room at the day care had me rolling!

Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Faith » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:12 am

The caterpillar room... my class at school is just like that. I love them. They are sweet kids, but man, are they rough on toys. :lol:

Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Peaches » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:36 am

I really want to see The Human Centipede.

Yes, I am sick.
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage

ItsAllRyche

Postby ItsAllRyche » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:05 pm

Just saw ToyStory3 yesterday. I did not cry but got teary eyed from a few scenes. You completely forget it is animation!!! The music and the expressions on the toys faces combine to make a couple of tissue needed moments. Those toys can really act :rolleyes:

I loved the movie, almost as much as I loved Shrek3
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]

Return to “Off topic rambles”