What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Deirdre
 Post subject: Re: Despicable Me
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:19 am 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

I just watched it and they don't mention Jemaine. And they only focused on the "main" characters, so no Tim, or minions or whatever he plays. I can't get my head around a squeeky voice without an accent being Jemaine. But at least he got to pretty much create the characters of the little guys.

I'm going to watch it again to see if I missed anything at the beginning before I read that he's the minions.

Deirdre
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:26 am 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

OK, at the beginning the Steve C. calls "Tim, Bob, Phil." And three of the little creatures show up. All I see them do through the HBO thingy is laugh and cheer or and other little noises. Whatever. I'll be there. And I'm really looking forward to Dinner for Schmucks.

Nancy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:10 am 
Persona Non Regatta

It was a good peek at the movie - they showed one hilarious scene where Russell Brand's character yells something like, "We've got to stop them", and then proceeds to go at minus 10 miles per hour. I bellylaughed.

Miranda Cosgrove (the oldest kid) has been on tons of talk shows with different clips, all showing one minion always accompanying the three kids. Somehow I feel this might be Tim.

It really looks like a good movie. And c'mon, Julie Andrews as Steve Carell's Mom? I gotta see this. :nod:

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

xDemonWoman
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:14 am 
New arrival

Lol, I am going to literally camp outside of the cinema for Men In Black III just for Jemaine. (;
His David Bowie is SO awesome, the villain role was MADE for him. xD

vmh
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:17 am 
A tasty piece of pastry

I feel obliged to talk about how the world premiere went. So, I think I'll do that. :D

I went with 3 other girls from another Conchords fan community. Before the screening, we hung out in front of Nokia Theatre to watch the yellow carpet arrivals.

L.A. Live was covered with these decals on the ground. One foot belongs to me. The other belongs to someone else. Guess which foot belongs to who.

Then, these little guys showed up.

Steve Carell's backside.

Julie Andrews.

Jason Segel with the minions.

All photos by chrissycubana.

vmh
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:48 am 
A tasty piece of pastry

I have to break my post into two parts because when I load too many pictures into one, I can't scroll down for some reason.

I'm not going to give away much about the movie but here's what I thought of it.

I enjoyed it. We got to see in in 3D, a first for me. I had the chance to attend a panel/discussion with the writers of Despicable Me on Friday so it was interesting to see how some of their real life experiences as parents were used in the story. It made it more funny and relatable. They were really keen on creating a story about a villain, explaining that the villain is usually the most interesting character. Steve Carell's voice is easily recognizable but I wouldn't have known who did the voices for the other characters if it weren't for imdb. The girls and I still aren't clear on what Jemaine does in the movie. Sadly, he wasn't acknowledged by the filmmakers in their introduction before the screening and his name wasn't part of the opening credits. :( In the closing credits, he was billed as "Jerry." We're trying to figure out if he did the voice for one particular minion or if he did the voice for all of them. We have one theory that he may have came into the studio to record and later on, they needed him to come back for additional scenes but he couldn't for whatever reason. So perhaps they had someone else voice the rest. :dunno: But it was a very cute movie overall. Go see it! Take your kids if you have them. I give it: two wonky pinkies up!

vmh
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:07 am 
A tasty piece of pastry

Also, I didn't see Jemaine there. I wasn't expecting him to show up so I'm not too disappointed.

I have a few photos of us from the afterparty but the girls have requested for me not to post them here. I'm going to respect that. Since it was on a Sunday afternoon, the afterparty was really chill and laid back. Rainn Wilson was there with his wife. In fact, I think he was following us because we also saw him out in the lobby of Nokia Theatre before the movie. He kept showing up at various times during the party. Yep, he was definitely following us. :wink: We also saw Kate Flannery and Kristen Wiig. They had Despicable Me games set up throughout the room and photo booths. It was cool and very kid friendly. They also had an open bar. Very adult friendly.

I brought home a souvenir from the party. Isn't he cute?

One thing I forgot to mention earlier-they were playing a rap song voiced by one of the minions in the lobby before the movie started. I hope Jemaine had some involvement with that. Maybe it'll be on the soundtrack.

Venus
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:47 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

Ooh nice! Thanks for sharing your experience with us, vmh. Great pics! Loving the yellow carpet and it sounds like it was a lot of fun! It's a shame that Jemaine's involvement in the film still isn't completely clear but hopefully we'll find out soon. :)

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Aimee
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:55 pm 
Registered Rhymnecologist

Thanks for sharing vmh! Sounds like it was a lot of fun :) I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of who J played soon...

SuzyBatt
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:51 pm 
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Thanks for sharing the pics and brief synopsis - complete with writer's insight - vmh! Now I'm looking forward to it even more. I haven't seen any trailers or commercials yet, but there was a giant minion poster/display thingy at the theatre last week.

Nancy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:03 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

The minions have been all over our tv for awhile now. They now show up on fast food ads linked to the movie.
I thought someone posted that Jemaine's name was Tim. :dunno: Those little guys are so adorable, and reason alone to see the movie. :eyelashes:

Oooh, V, you got to see Julie Andrews! :prayer:
She's probably my very favorite actress/singer/dancer of all time, and you were so close to her! I'm so impressed! :D

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:32 pm 
Can Attack!

81% on Rotten Tomatoes. Even if it had a lower rating, I'd still be there. But it really does look delightfully silly. And I'm springing for the 3-D!

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:45 pm 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

I'm really starting to wonder what Jemaine's involvement in this movie is. It looks adorable and I'm definitely going to see it with the kids regardless, but I haven't seen J's name linked to it in a while and I just read a big review about it in the Dallas paper and Jemaine wasn't mentioned at all, not even in the list of voices at the beginning. I wonder what happened?

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:47 pm 
Can Attack!

Maybe he took his name off it because his voice was so buried and modified?
At least the Jeminions look like him.

Someone needs to ask him that.

I am bike-cheese!

mockingbird
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:51 pm 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

I did and he read it but didn't respond. I'll go pester him about it again right now. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next