Call Me Pearl: The NZ Culture Thread

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Re: Call Me Pearl: The NZ Culture Thread

Postby Faith » Thu May 20, 2010 4:01 am

Me too, but it's getting to be winter time in NZ right now and I hate being cold, so no thank you. This was about the time I left last year and I was freezing.

Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Great H » Thu May 20, 2010 4:04 am

Faith wrote:Me too, but it's getting to be winter time in NZ right now
Yup, it's absolutely pissing down outside right now! :(

Faith

Postby Faith » Thu May 20, 2010 4:14 am

Sorry to hear it, Great H. I do remember it raining a lot.

mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:16 pm

Chris Knox is an amazing NZ musician, movie critic and artist who is currently recovering from a bad stroke he had last summer. He's made great music as part of the Nothing, the Tall Dwarfs and also solo. He was on the 6ths album as well.

Here's a great way to sample some of his songs. For a short time, amazon.com has the mp3 album of Stroke: Songs for Chris Knox on sale for $3.99. It's a double disc and has people like Stephin Merrit, Portastatic, Bic Runga, and Yo La Tengo covering Knox's songs. All proceeds go to Knox's rehabilitation.

Link here: http://www.amazon.com/Stroke-Songs-for- ... 412&sr=8-1
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!

Great H

Postby Great H » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:40 am

Thanks MM! I can't download from Amazon but I'll investigate Kiwi outlets. There's a lot of stuff on there - most of it not my taste to be honest but there's the odd gem. Boh Runga singing Not given lightly - gotta get that! And you're right about Chris Knox - he's an institution!

Great H

Postby Great H » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:17 am

Win a trip for four including accommodation & activities in the Bay of Plenty, NZ...
Enter here!
I'd love it if someone here won! :D

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks so much for posting this, Great H! I'm entered, waiting to win! :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby kipples » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:58 pm

I went to enter, googled for the answers, then it asked me what state I live in :(

Best of luck Nancy :thumb:

Great H

Postby Great H » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:24 am

Oh, sorry Kipples! :(
For anyone else entering, I don't think you even need to google for answers - just click on the word 'answer' and it tells you! (They're all true, BTW). Good luck Nancy and anyone else that enters - PM me when you win! :D

Faith

Postby Faith » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:25 am

I entered too. How awesome would it be if one of us won? I never made it up to the Bay of Plenty.

Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:27 am

Great H, if anyone from here wins, it'll be shouted from the rooftops! :whitey:
(and you will get that PM, plus many hugs! :bighug: )
Oh, fish-like Lady

Lady-like Fish

I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:52 am

Go Wellington! :clap:

Wellington cool with a capital C
STACEY WOOD - The Dominion Post
Last updated 05:00 01/11/2010

Click to see the video in the article
TOP SPOT: Wellington has been named the "coolest little capital" in the world by traveller's bible Lonely Planet. MARCUS WILD/ Stuff

Move over London, Rome and Paris – Wellington is the world's coolest capital city.

Lonely Planet has named our capital the fourth best city in which to travel in the world, behind New York, Tangier and Tel Aviv.

It is the first time a New Zealand city has made it into the annual Best in Travel publication – a collection of the world's best trends, destinations, journeys and experiences.

In the sixth edition, released today, the publication refers to Wellington under the banner of "coolest little capital in the world".

Positively Wellington Tourism chief executive David Perks said sharing the top five with cities such as New York and Tel Aviv was priceless recognition.

"To have Lonely Planet – a global brand respected for frank opinions and having its finger on the pulse – come out and refer to Wellington as the `coolest little capital in the world' and among the top 10 cities you must visit for 2011 is quite simply incredible."

It is perfect timing for the city as businesses prepare for an action-packed calendar in 2011.

About 85,000 international visitors are expected in New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup.

Other highlights include the third Visa Wellington On a Plate in August and an extended season of the Montana World of WearableArt show, which will lead into the World Cup kickoff. In November, the city is hosting hundreds of writers for the Society of American Travel Writers conference.

Prime Minister John Key said Wellington was a great place to live, and even put a positive spin on our notorious wind.

"Actually I thoroughly enjoy going around the harbour when it's blustery and windy. It has a kind of New Zealand feel to it.

"For all the hard time Wellington gets about its weather, I think it adds to the dimension of the place that it has quite a good feel to it in that regard."

However, asked if he preferred it to Auckland, he replied: "That's a big stretch."

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown, who moved to Wellington from Britain in 1983, said she thought Wellington's strength lay in the combination of "wilderness" and city living.

"You don't have to choose arts or sports, or between culture or wilderness, because it's all there."

Lonely Planet, the world's biggest travel guide company, has sold millions of copies of hundreds of titles since it began in 1972.

Source

From the Lonely Planet website:

4. Wellington

Wellington is Cool-with-a-capital-C, crammed with more bars, cafes and restaurants per capita than New York, and a slew of gourmet producers including some 10 independent coffee roasteries. Year-round you’ll find arts and cultural events in abundance. Likewise, its film industry, ‘Wellywood’, centred on the Miramar Peninsula, is booming thanks in large part to the success of Wellingtonian Sir Peter Jackson (executive producer of the 2011 and 2012 Hobbit movies currently being made here). This little capital will be front-and-centre on the world stage in 2011 when New Zealand hosts the Rugby World Cup.

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

Great H

Postby Great H » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:07 am

Oh how I miss living in Wellie! *sigh* One day I'll move back. Deffo. :nod:

Great H

Postby Great H » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:06 am

Okay, something is going on around here.
First there was the life-size snow globe, and now there's...

MEGADUCK! :roll2:

Here's the article that drew my attention. I'm SO going to visit ducky this weekend! :biggrin:

LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:02 pm

SW's going to love this..... :)

Very 8) !
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image

Return to “Off topic rambles”