It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Fine Art Photo Print of Bret and Jemaine

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Re: Hi!

Postby kipples » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:50 am

Not judging, just can't wait to see the pictures of....the picture when you get it.
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Venus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:54 am

Haha, love the Botanic Gardens reference! :lol: :thumb:

:roll2: Hehe, nonch! Poor Matty, I don't think he knows what he's let himself in for. Just kidding. :P Well Matt did say he is open to answer any questions you all have so I'm sure we can all have a fruitful discussion about his photo(s) and the people he's worked with. :halo: ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:58 am

I'll post one, kipples.

So Matt. Can you tell us a bit about the photo? The lighting is amazing, are they really out on a dock jumping? Did you come up with the shot or was it improvised? Do you have any "outtakes" that you might be able to share? :D
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby kipples » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:11 am

Just looking through the photos on the site and saw you did the shot of FotC dressed up like rappers with the chihuahua! Love that picture :D
kipples

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:05 am

Hello, Matty! Welcome! :wave:

I love your photographs! The photo you're offering has the most incredible lighting, and like nonch I"d love to know more about how you captured the light and the moment.

I see you also took the BBC Radio Show CD cover! Terrific! :thumb:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Great H » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:12 am

LOVE that chihuahua picture. Even better than this one. Maybe. :D
Last edited by Great H on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby LauraK » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:14 am

:popcorn: laura sits back, waits for answers....especially to the 'outtakes' question. :D

Welcome, Matty! I've always loved that pic, your work is wonderful and I look forward to more from you in the future.

I know that listing won't be showing up on Regretsy! 8)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby mockingbird » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:58 am

Lovely photo, Matt.

How much direction did you give them? Was it your idea to jump?
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Matty » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:04 am

Thanks everyone for the kind welcome and choice feedback!

I had to mention the gardens in my listing after Bret's teeming with life quote!

Should I be concerned by Nonch (thanks heaps for buying a print!) and possible inappropriate questions?? 8)

And thank you for the like on Stumbleupon, I'm totally unfamiliar with that site, I'm gunna check it out right now!

Youse are awse! :rock:
Matty
New arrival

Postby Great H » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 am

Matty wrote:Should I be concerned by Nonch (thanks heaps for buying a print!) and possible inappropriate questions?? 8)
:lol: :roll2:
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Matty » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:08 am

Hi All,

Yep, the Mary Poppins shot was my idea. I shot the guys on the roof of my building, as I don't have a studio. Right next door to our apartments is a hotel, which is helpfully painted a light grey which is an ideal background to shoot 'clear cuts' against, the guys were shot one at a time with a single studio flash. Bret with all his dance training was alot easier to shot than Jemaine! At the time I wasn't sure about the background I wanted to use, I thought I wanted to set the image downtown on Cuba St, I had a go at putting the boys in that context, but that quickly all looked a bit wrong. So I did a reccie further around the city and the waterfront soon revealed itself as the best location to set the shot. I shot a number of variations before settling on the final location. Then it was just a whole lot of photoshop to bring all the elements together and grade it to give it its final look.

I'm real fond of the hip-hop shot too, we did that shot earlier on the same day, the wee chihuahua Nui is owned by Loren, Jemaines co-star in Eagle VS Shark.

I've been checking out Regretsy quite a bit lately and jeepers I'm happy I've not ended up there!

Cheery!
:supz:
Matty
New arrival

Postby kipples » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks a million Matty! I love bits of trivia like that about things I love.

Of course the dog belonged to Lauren, and the chains were probably borrowed off of The Phoenix Foundation, the bike was probably owned by Jason Stutter and clothes maybe came from Duncan Sarkies! (I may have gone a little overboard!)
I just love how all the creative people in New Zealand seem to pop up sometimes in each others projects.
kipples

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:15 pm

:lol: kipples, that is so true!

Matty wrote:Should I be concerned by Nonch (thanks heaps for buying a print!) and possible inappropriate questions?? 8)

Concerned? Pishaw...just remember anything you tell us will be kept in the strictest confidence. :halo:

Seriously, the gratitude is all mine. Thanks for offering it. I have the perfect spot in mind to hang your beautiful print. 16.5" x 23.25"!! It is massive! I'm going to go nuts with anticipation.

Your listing is clever. This, "Endorsed by the band, Bret: '...Cool Idea', Jemaine: 'I replied to your email via Bret.'" :roll2: Is it is for real?
It made me giggle. Soooo you have Bret's email addy? I would love to drop him a note of appreciation. (You can pm it to me, we wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands.) :D

Mary Poppins for Flight. Perfect! I've been curious about what Jemaine's shirt says in the Hip Hop shot for ages. Do you remember?

the guys were shot one at a time with a single studio flash. Bret with all his dance training was alot easier to shoot than Jemaine!

:lol:

Imagining this photo shoot is hilariously enjoyable. It's interesting that they truly look like they are dangling, not jumping. Action shots are so difficult to capture and the facial expressions are brilliant, each very different and together it says alot about the personality of the band. :heart: If you have old, unwanted rejected photos from the shoot(s)....the Cuba street version....anything?!?!?! We'd love to see them. :nod:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby mockingbird » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Matty - thanks for the description of the process, I always find that so interesting. I never knew you photoshopped them onto the background, I always thought you guys actually stood on a pier and took the photo, lol. It came out awesome - really nice work. :clap:

Nonch I wonder if you could get Bret and Jemaine to sign it also?

That's Loren's chihuahua? :roll2: Adorable.

Thanks for sharing Matty! And good luck on your sale. :thumb:
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks for the background info, Matty. Like mock, I thought it was a single shot. To put it together and make it look so gorgeous is quite an achievement. :clap:
My walls aren't big enough to accommodate such a large photo. Is there any chance it would ever be available smaller? :eyelashes:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

PreviousNext

Return to Flight of The Conchords