Kristen Schaal

More commonly known as Mel to Conchords fans.

Moderator: Venus

Re: Kristen Schaal

Postby vmh » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:01 pm

Nancy wrote:Thanks for the heads up, V. I usually catch it, but I'll make it a point to tune in tomorrow.

Next week.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Venus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Thanks for the info, vmh. :)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Sun May 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Interview with Kristen! She mentions getting drunk at Jemaine's and asking about a FOTC movie. :lol:

Kristen Schaal ('Bob's Burgers')
Sunday, May 8 2011, 09:00 BST
By Alex Fletcher, TV Editor

© WENN

Not many shows could slip in between The Simpsons and Family Guy and get away with it. However, Bob's Burgers has proved that there's still plenty of room for more animated comedy in Fox's schedules and news of its second season pick-up cheered us up no end. Kooky comic and ex-Flight of the Conchords star Kristen Schaal, who voices bunny-ear-wearing Louise Belcher, chatted to journalists last week about Bob's success.

How do you feel about the Bob's Burgers Sunday night slot?
"Oh my God, after The Simpsons and before Family Guy, what a gift. Thanks to Fox. They are extraordinary shows, legendary shows. It's a real honour to be positioned between those two. There's nothing better than having The Simpsons as a lead-in. Hopefully as we get more of an audience we can provide an equally great lead for Family Guy."

'Art Crawl' is our favourite episode so far. What's is your favourite?
"Oh yes, with the anus paintings. 'Art Crawl' was extraordinary. Extraordinary! That was an excellent, extraordinary episode. I loved that one. I have a lot of favourites and quite a few coming up in the next couple of weeks, but one that stands out for me is the episode where Bob tries to raise money for Tina's birthday party by becoming a cab driver. There was something about that episode that helped turn the show and make it into something that I'm really excited about. There's a lot of heart in this show and that episode really demonstrated that."

You've said before that you'd like Louise to become President. What sort of President would she be?
"I think it would be rash. It would be impromptu. It would be passionate… devious. And in the end, it would probably be a dictatorship."

What's it like working with Jon Benjamin, because he's made so many great animation series?
"He's the master. I just stay very quiet when I'm around him. Sometimes I won't even say my lines because I'm still absorbing how he performs. Also, he doesn't really like it when people talk to him or look him in the eye [laughs]."

When you do animation, do you miss not having the full hair and make-up?
"I still do the full hair and make-up. I just pay for it personally $400 each recording session. No, I don't miss that at all. I mean, I love getting my hair and make-up done, it is one of my favourite things behind the camera. But I do try to spruce myself up a little bit, because even though nobody can see you there, I think there is something about being professional that will make me perform better. I will put some mascara on. If you see the person in the recording studio who looks like a vision behind the glass - it's me."

What convinced you to take the role in the show?
"Oh, when they asked me! [laughs] I wasn't sure if the show was real or not for a long while because there was lots of workshops at Fox to test it out. So when it did get picked up, I was taken by surprise. As Louise started to develop over time, I started to love her more and more. I had a real feeling of nervousness about whether we would get picked up and I know there's nothing you can do about it, but I was just like, 'I really hope I get to play her. At least for a little bit longer'. She is so much fun."

You do lots of stand-up comedy. How much improv do you get to do on the show?
"Oh, a lot. Not with how the show is going to be, that is all the writers' genius, but I do get to listen to dialogue and I'm allowed to improvise off script. Here and there. I don't want to take too much away from the writers, because they do write some really incredibly funny jokes, but I'm allowed the freedom to contribute as well."

Flight of the Conchords was an incredible show. What is your happiest memory from that series?
"Every second on the set is a favourite memory. I loved putting on the elastic pants, the elastic jeans, the hummingbird T-shirt. But I couldn't pick one moment. Maybe doing my music video, that was pretty incredible."

Do you think they should bring it back?
"I do think it should come back. I think there are more songs to sing and more stories to tell. I got drunk around Jemaine's a few weeks ago and I was like, 'When's the movie?!' I just threw it out there and I got no response. But I'll continue getting drunk with them and see if I can work on those guys."

How does it feel to have been part of Toy Story 3?
"After I recorded it, I was like, 'I'm immortal now!' Those are films that are going to be classics. They are timeless. They are perfect. They are something that I know I will be watching in 40 years with other kids or aliens or whatever I have. Hopefully it's not an alien baby, but you can never be sure."

Tell us a bit about your infamous book?
"It's called Sexy Book of Sexy Sex. I co-authored with Rich [Blomquist]… who works on the Daily Show and we are a real live breathing couple. It is a textbook combined with some short erotic stories and there's a lot of disgusting illustrations. It's smutty, it's really vulgar and my greatest hope is that it's also really funny."

What projects have you got coming up for the rest of the year?
"Ooh, let's see. There's one thing that's not been finalised, which should be pretty cool, but I can't talk about that yet. I know I've got other things going on and I have a project to take over 2011, I'm just getting a late start."

Bob's Burgers airs tonight at 8.30/7.30c on Fox.

Kristen is also going to be on The Simpsons tonight. :D
&
Venus

Postby vmh » Sun May 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Kristen has it backwards. She needs to get them drunk and then ask about future projects.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby LauraK » Mon May 09, 2011 2:49 am

Damn, she's funny. Yes...getting them drunk would be a much better plan of action! :D

And I love Bob's Burgers. It's still a bit surreal hearing almost-Archer when Bob speaks! :lol:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Venus » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Kristen is set to star in multiple episodes of 30 Rock:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... aal-263140
&
Venus

Postby SheWolf » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Cool. 8)

Kurt Braunholer was interviewed yesterday on local radio. He said Kristen in engaged.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby gibbsrus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:49 am

WTF???? My Ryan was watching stupid Mine Craft movies on YouTube when he called out to me...... "Mum, quick!!! Mel's a cartoon!!" There was an ad for a new cartoon series "Gravity Falls". We played it again and well, couldn't be anyone else!!! :P

gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:07 am

It might be, but it also might be Tress Mc Neill who does a vast amount of voiceover work in LA. I'll try to find out from my Son-In-Law-To-Be. He writes the dialogue for the Disney XD Channel's Marvel Mash-Ups, and may know who the vocal talent is. He works closely with the talent for his Mash-Up series, which just got picked up for another season, Yay! He may know if it's Kristen.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby gibbsrus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:09 pm

It is Kristen :P Or at least it's listed on her imdb on the net anyway :P Ryan and I googled it and saw that she was in Toy Story too. He was blown away by that!! :P It is a bit of a gift of his I think... he recognises voices and songs from movies all the time. He also sings songs after only hearing them once (which is why he knows FOTC). I didn't even know he was watching it until he started singing the song for epileptic dogs!! :P He has to do a Movie/TV review for show and tell this week. We had to have a 20 minute discussion about why he should do the Muppet Movie and not FoTC or Gentlemen Broncos (He LOVES that one!!!). He still carries his pillow around with him (kind of a security blanket thing) and now I think he does it on purpose so I end up saying "Put the pillow down" and he will say "I beg of you"!!! :D
gibbsrus
Half a shapely halibut

Postby SheWolf » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Her voice is quite distinctive. I would have bet money on that being her voice, before you confirmed it with proof of course :P
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:33 pm

:clap: Good job, gibbs and Ryan. :clap:

Kristen's voice is definitely distinctive. The woman I was thinking of does a lot of different voices - kind of a female Mel Blanc - so it wouldn't have been surprising if she had done it. But I'm glad Kristen's got the gig. :D
Now I'll have to check it out. :nod: :popcorn:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Venus » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm

Kristen won an Annie award last night for "Outstanding Achievement, Voice Acting in an Animated Television or other Broadcast Venue Production" as Mabel Pines in Gravity Falls. :clap: (Source)
&
Venus

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:04 pm

Good job, Kristen! :yay:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish