What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:28 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
SheWolf
 Post subject: Re: Look Through Any Window (The Weather Thread)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:23 pm 
Boom King!

Funny, I didn't think it seemed like much snow - I guess because I kept hearing how we were going to get 18" + & we wound up with about 12. West of me got only about 5-6" and north of me got 2 feet. We usually get whatever they get in NYC & it was cool to see the enormous mound of snow in Times Square that they have to remove for New Year's Eve.

I'm over snow so I'm not really prepared to tell people who haven't seen it how awesome it is because yes it does impact your daily life, you could be stuck inside, stranded and have a hard time walking and/or driving for a long time after it comes down depending on the weather coz sometimes if it stays cold it just keeps refreezing and the ice is worse than the snow. I remember one very cold winter it snowed early in December and that snow was still hanging around in February, you can imagine how tired I was of wearing snowboots every day just so I didn't break my neck in parking lots or sidewalks. However, it was very cool to see all the tourists walking around NYC on the news yesterday, some of whom had never seen snow like a Brazilian woman and a South African man. It must very cool for them and for kids of course, particularly when you don't have to go to school because of it.

I got the sticker from the Jemainiacs site before the girl who runs it was asked not to sell them anymore.

The largest snowfall we ever had was 3 feet and that was scary. It was almost impossible to shovel coz you had to throw the snow way over your head and many of the local 2 lane roads became one lane roads and you couldn't see around any corners when driving. I felt claustrophobic with that much snow around me.

Nancy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:53 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

...Ditto what SW said.

There's nothing I love more than a soft, fluffy snowfall that causes gorgeous quiet, and coats everything with magical, glistening, light snow. :eyelashes:
But....this was anything but, because the wind made it frightening. :shock: The nonstop noise of the howling outside gave me shivers. Every minute I feared losing power, and in freezing temps, this old house loses warmth very quickly. Luckily, the lines around here were okay, although not far away a tree fell on the wires and power was out for several hours. Brrrr.

I think everyone should enjoy a foot or so of snow at least once, so they can make at least one snow angel! :whitey: Thanks for reminding me of the best thing about deep snow, Laura. :wink:

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

deliriumtree
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:52 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Aww...boo. Sticker hopes dashed. :( Oh well.

SheWolf
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:59 pm 
Boom King!

Yeah, sorry you had to be quick on that one. I hesitated awhile before buying the stickers because I have developed quite the phobia of junkifying my life with crap I don't need. But ulimtately I gave in and the minute she told me they were sent she mentioned that she couldn't sell them anymore so I got in just under the wire.

Nancy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:31 am 
Persona Non Regatta

Here we go again! :roll: This time we're getting the best of the snow storm that paralyzed the south as well as the monster storm coming in from the west - the perfect storm. Predictions are 12-18 inches, again with Northeast winds with gusts up to 50 mph. I wanna go somewhere warm!! :evil:

So how's everybody else doing in other areas? Texas? Jersey? Midwest? Canada? London? NZ? Australia's flooding? Everywhere else I didn't mention?

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Red
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 am 
Getting lewd with the food

It's really cold here, well by my standards anyway. Right now it is 29 degrees with a windchill of 21 degrees. Simply frigid! This is about as cold as I can stand. I guess I should never move north of Texas, huh?

I hope you don't suffer too bad a storm, Nance. Think warm thoughts!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:52 pm 
Boom King!

Last night's storm dumped another 6 inches here.

21 is pretty cold, particularly if there's wind. I'm starting to severely dislike anything under 40 degrees but 30s is still doable. 20s is just stupid.

Nancy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

Yeah, Red, 21 is pretty darn cold. I'm with SW, 20s is just stupid. :rolls:

I know we got a lot of snow (about a foot), but the worst part is that it is extremely dense and HEAVY. :pile:
I usually have no problem clearing the front steps and a path to the garage in one fell swoop, but I got through the two steps and three shovelfulsdown the path, and I had to go inside and rest. I went back out and got five more shovels done, and had to take a break again before finally coming out to finish the job. Oy! All the time I kept thinking, You're 61, take breaks, no heart attacks here. :roll:
I worry about power outages - there's a little coat of ice mixed in with all that heavy snow, which spells trouble for the trees that cross the power lines. Crossing my fingers. :pray:

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:25 pm 
Boom King!

Oh that sucks Nancy, the snow we got is very light and it all blew off my car so no digging out for me. My mom is 65 and I worry about her shoveling as she has plenty of aches and pains to start with, strangely enough she never seems to get sore from shoveling, I don't know how she manages that. Luckily houses on all sides of her contain young men with snow blowers so they help her out a lot. Do you have no neighbors to help?

mohumbhai mania
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:04 pm 
Can Attack!

It's 10 degrees here. I would love it to be 20 again.

I am bike-cheese!

Nancy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 am 
Persona Non Regatta

Oh, MM! :hug:

Geesh, I guess it's all relative, isn't it? When it's -3, 10 is a heat wave. :roll:

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm 
Boom King!

SLEETAGEDDON!

Faith
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:16 am 
A pastry chef and a sniper

I kept hoping the rolling blackouts would hit the school so we could send all the kids home and I could leave early, but no such luck. But we are closing early tomorrow and are closed on Friday because of the snow we're supposed to be getting. So yay to an unexpected 3 day weekend! :D

Nancy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:48 am 
Persona Non Regatta

Ice-a-geddon!
Usuallly I just shovel the path to my garage and it takes about 20 minutes. This morning, after 45 minutes, I got my two front steps and a few inches of the path done. This is the worst consistency I have ever dealt with - slushy wet on the bottom, fluffy in the middle, then a tough crust of thick ice. I'm going on strike and getting more salt - I've gone through 3 bags already.
My doctor advised me not to leave the house without a cane because of the ice. Oy, look out, here comes the old lady! :macarena: :macarena:

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

4everconchordsfan
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:27 pm 
David Bowie's nipple antennae

We got 20 inches of snow in my neighborhood. The highest total 24 inches was in a north surburban town.

We shoveled out for 3 hours yesterday. The snow was powdery soft on top, then heavy & hard on the bottom.

We have to work today. It will be an interesting commute. I have 2 buses & that takes an hour in normal conditions. Then I walk about a mile on a route that has no bus. :(

Right now the actual temp is -4 below zero & the feel like temp is -16 below zero. I am heading out to the bus soon. That's Chicago for ya.

Attachments:
Snowstorm Feb 2011 058 (2).jpg
Snowstorm Feb 2011 058 (2).jpg [ 56.67 KiB | Viewed 525 times ]
Snowstorm Feb 2011 018 (2).jpg
Snowstorm Feb 2011 018 (2).jpg [ 31.87 KiB | Viewed 525 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next