It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Look Through Any Window (The Weather Thread)

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Look Through Any Window (The Weather Thread)

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Hellfire, 4ever! that's cah-ray-zay. Stay safe and warm!

It's 7 degrees here. Time for shorts.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby SheWolf » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:21 pm

It's ridunkulous around here. My sidewalk has probably a 3 inch think pure coat of ice because they didn't clear the walk yesterday despite 2 phone calls to the office from me. Grrr....

According to weatherguy we have received a total of 58 inches of snow so far this season. We usually average 24 for the entire winter. :doh:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby eorious » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Good grief, 58 inches?!? I thought we had it bad. Ice is the worst, I'd rather have snow.

I'm not sure how much snow we actually had where I am but since I'm on the lake I think it was supposed to be more than the official O'Hare total. All I know is that we have 6 foot drifts in my backyard (which the neighbor's kids have been enjoying immensely). At least the storm was kind and didn't pile it against our back door. :wink:

I was lucky and my work decided to close yesterday for the first time since the blizzard of '79. :shock: I think once Lake Shore Drive got shut down, plus a couple other major streets nearby, they knew there was no way anyone would be making it in anyway. I actually watched a city plow get stuck trying to clear the parking lot behind my building, lol. The driver just gave up and walked away and didn't come back for it until today.

Today was too cold for pictures, but I took a few yesterday.

Backyard:

Neighbor's car:

Front porch:

Down my street:
eorious
Consistently Mediocre

Postby kipples » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:52 am

:shock: Wow! That is just crazy snow.

Just heard on the news that Texas is colder then Alaska tonight.
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby LauraK » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:53 am

:shock: :o :thud:

Damn.
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby mockingbird » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:47 am

Now that is some serious snow.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:21 am

Too weird, folks.
4ever, good luck commuting. Be careful walking, especially if the sidewalks aren't done and you have to walk in the street.

Eeorious, those drifts look familiar, though ours weren't quite as deep.

SW, I hear you on the ice crap. Anything that wasn't shoveled or treated with salt is glare ice, inches thick. I used a cane out and about today so I wouldn't fall down. So far so good. :roll:

And those icy temps everywhere! :nails:

All this weird winter weather is scary - make it stop. :shock:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby SheWolf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Whoah that's some snowpacolypse you've got on your hands eorious. I remember my car looking a bit like that once and it was seriously discouraging. You stand there with your lowly shovel knowing that mother nature has seriously kicked your ass and you fight the urge to go back inside, make some hot cocoa and wait until spring.

Hey the main street by me is called Lake Shore Drive too. Only there is no lake, even though the town I live in has Lake in the name. I looked all over for the lake and then found out that it was a man made one that had been dredged decades ago.

This is obviously not a drift but a man made creation from clearing a parking lot but I liked the visual anyway.

Prettiness

This is Gingerio. A dog was barking nearby and she retreated to her snow fortress.

90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby ItsAllRyche » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:33 pm

That looks so beautiful, the billowy snow and the peacefulness of it all. But then you must venture out in it and realize it is so cold and dangerous. weird.

Eorious, I would definitely be making hot chocolate and snuggling on sofa reading a good book.

Shewolf, man, it looks so serene. Does poor Gingerio stay out in such weather? Although he does look very well equipped for cold weather with that thick heavy fur.

great shots gals.
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Faith » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:32 am

This has been what the weather and news has been like here. They got everyone freaked out for nothing. :lol:
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 am

Someone in Chicago posted this video, it's pretty good.

Here's the weather channels Jim Cantore covering our blizzard. It really was thundering loud, lightening, snowing, raining, winds 50+ mph. It was a wild storm.

"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:15 am

MM & Nancy, thanks for your concern. I made it safe & sound both days. Our office did well. We only closed on Wednesday. We worked business as usual both Thursday and Friday without a hitch. It was great how the entire community rallied together to dig out & get things going smoothly.

I took a couple photos that night in front of my building. Wish someone was standing there so that you could tell how high it is but if you look at the trees you can see how the snow comes halfway up and those are some pretty tall trees.
Attachments
Snowstorm Feb 2011 089.jpg
Snowstorm Feb 2011 089.jpg (73.14 KiB) Viewed 597 times
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Faith, good one! :rolls:

4ever, I'm only 5'2" and the height of all that snow in your photo makes me feel claustrophobic! It's bad enough here, and we only have about a foot on the ground now. Driving down some of the side streets here feels like a luge run, with all the ice and snow packed on the unplowed street and piled on the sides of the road.

SW, lovely shots of when the snow looks pretty - bring Gingerio inside! (love the name!)
Now I know why the older folks in town disappear down to Florida every year til April. :roll:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby SheWolf » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Oi vey! The parking lot with all it's ice that is now slick with rain is impossible to maneuver. Ever try to walk on ice with rain on top of it? Um, yeah, don't.

Nancy wrote:SW, lovely shots of when the snow looks pretty - bring Gingerio inside! (love the name!)
Gingerino roams, as do all the strays, many people near me feed them so they hang around. I read that cats have one of the best heating/cooling systems in the animal kingdom so I imagine they aren't cold. At least that's what I'd like to believe. Yis, Gingerino- she has her own theme song sung to the tune of Desperado. :yawinkle: I've named some of the other strays that I can recognize - amongst them are Spook, Pooka and Smoochie. :lol: I'm pretty sure I heard some scary kitty love action going on the other day so I expect to see new kittens at some point. :|
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:26 am

Our weather guys got our snowpocalypse wrong, we got like 9-10" and today......they said "flurries."
We have about 5" so far and it hasn't quit yet. Stoopid weathermen.....

Lori, I love the pics. Yours too, 4ECF. Faith, that's funny! I saw a commercial for some car that's like that. It starts snowing and everyone flips out, emptying the grocery stores and trying to get home, lol.

I feel for the stray kitties, but I know they're everywhere. At least yours are getting fed. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

PreviousNext

Return to General