It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:16 pm

Pets, pets and more pets

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Re: Pets, pets and more pets

Postby Peaches » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Awww, I want to give him snuggles :)
"Item 4 on the agenda: Stuff you!"

"Who else? Mur.. Ray... Oh. Greg's written this, he's put the R's too far apart. It's Murray.. Murray present"

ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Peaches
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:46 am

I had to put my dear cat Rex to sleep late today. He was almost 16 years old, God bless him. Tough day.

[IMG=http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/328/rex5w.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby funny schipperke » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:59 am

Oh, Nancy... I'm so sorry :hug:
Image Image
funny schipperke
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Faith » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:01 am

I'm really sorry to hear that, Nancy. :hug: But nearly 16 years... Rex did have a good long life.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Aimee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Oh Nancy, I'm so sorry :cry: I'm glad to see that you were able to spend a few more months with him. Now he is resting in peace and no longer in pain or discomfort. My heart goes out to both of you.

Here is a little poem you may have heard before. It is both sad and comforting at the same time:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author Unknown
Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:10 am

Thank you so much, Aimee. My vet sends that along with a sympathy card signed by all the staff when a pet passes away. I am so grateful that Rex didn't suffer - his body just stopped working. Here's a poem that Sherry sent to me in June, when we first found out Rex was sick:

If It Should Be

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep;
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
But don't let grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years;
What is to come can hold no fears.
You don't want me to suffer so
The time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,
But please stay with me 'til the end
To hold me close and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,
It was a kindness done for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I'm saved.

Please do not grieve that it was you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Aimee » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:25 pm

That is beautiful Nancy. I hope you are doing ok...
Aimee
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Red » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:37 pm

Oh, Nancy, I'm so sorry. :hug: I've been through that pain and you have my sympathies.
Red
Getting lewd with the food

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:07 pm

:cry: Sorry, Nancy. :goodman: What a nice photo of him. I hope you have it framed somewhere.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:36 am

I don't have it framed yet, but I will. It was always so hard to get a shot of him with nice wide eyes because when he heard the click he would close his eyes waiting for the flash. So this was a special shot. I'll definitely frame it.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby mockingbird » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Nancy, I'm sorry about your cat. I missed this when it happened. I have a 16 year old cat too. :hug:

So, I've been having a super crappy week, and this is a big part of the reason why.

A couple of years ago we took in a black lab named Lady. She's about 7 now. Earlier this week she tore one of the ligaments in her knee. When we took her to the vet, they discovered that she also has moderate to severe hip dysplasia and arthritis, also in her hips. The torn knee ligament is in her better leg and the vet thinks she was compensating for the pain in her other leg and that's how she injured herself. My poor dog can hardly walk. When she does make the supreme effort to get from point A to point B she squeals in pain the whole time. :( She's on pain medication but it doesn't seem to do much good. She needs surgery and the earliest they can get her in is next Wednesday. So it really sucks to be her right now.

Not only that, but the surgery is going to cost around a thousand dollars. We've already spent about $500 so far on x-rays, blood work, prescriptions, etc. We SO cannot afford this. She might have to be on an anti-inflammatory drug for the rest of her life, and that runs about $140 a month. :shock: We can't take on that kind of extra monthly expense. Plus she's going to require some serious care after the surgery - she has to be kept in a cage for three weeks afterward, and then only limited mobility for three months after that. She weighs about a hundred pounds and I can't carry her in and out of the house to do her business.

But I can't bring myself to put her to sleep. She's such a good dog. The kids adore her. She still has so many good years left. :cry:
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Oh mock.... I'm so sorry. Whatever you decide, you guys are all in my thoughts. What a hard decision to have to make.

Is there no way the clinic can work with you on the cost? Have you called around to some other places?

The anti-inflammatory is a 'maybe' at least...and I have friends who put their big dogs on glucosamine and chondroitin, and they said that made a big difference.

{{{{{{{{Lady & the whole mockingbird Family}}}}}}}
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Great H » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Please pass my cuddles on to Lady - and keep a hug for yourself... {{{Mock}}}
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 pm

Oh no. :( Poor puppy. They become such a huge part of the family. :( Did the vet comment on her quality of life? Will this continue to plague her even after surgery?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby deliriumtree » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:21 am

I'm so sorry to hear this Mock. :( I would definitely call around. My vet let's me pay things out. True, I used to work there. But, I left on really bad terms. Any chance you have a vet school nearby? If you do call them as well. A lot of people go the vet school here for surgeries and things. It's much more affordable. Just some thoughts, I'm so sad you're going through this.
"Hey Ya'll, I'm destroying your city!" And the Bret and Jemaine angels looked on in approval.
deliriumtree
David Bowie's nipple antennae

PreviousNext

Return to General