It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:46 am

Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, mohumbhai mania, Venus

Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Postby vmh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:13 pm

I noticed that a few of us watch SNL (as seen on the Uncontrollable Giggle Fits thread) so I think it's fitting that an official WTF! SNL thread is created. I grew up watching it as a young'n (The Will Ferrell Era) but went on a long hiatus from watching it in the 2000's. I just recently started keeping up with Season 36.

So feel free to discuss episodes, favorite seasons/cast members/hosts/sketches/side projects/anything related to SNL.

Up next is Helen Mirren/Foo Fighters (April 9). SNL's 700th episode is May 7 and I hear Tina Fey is scheduled to host.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Re: Live From New York, It's Saturday Night!

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:05 am

OMyGosh....so many! I've been watching from the beginning, (kind of) thanks to my Mom and Dad who let us watch bits and pieces of the first season and then on from there.

Aundy Kaufman....Samurai-whatever, lol!- the killer bees- Dan Akroyd's Julia Child bleeding all over everything- the Bass-o-matic....Roseanne-Rosanna-danna...Lisa Loopner and Todd....Emily Litella- "Nevermind." Lol! Buck Henry being dirty, lol.

The Eddie Murphy cast, one of the very best! Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, lol! Tyrone Green..."Kill my landlord.......C-i-l-l....my landlord." Gumby...James Brown...

Adam Sandler....Opera Man...any time he got his guitar out and sang...Canteen Boy...Lunchlady Land w/ Farley

Chris Farley..."I live in a vaaaaaan.....down by the riverrrrr!" The classic Chippendales dance w/ patrick Swayze....when he'd interview a famous person like Paul McCarrtney & all he could say was "remember that time when you were in the Beatles..." Lol! (Don't remember his character's name for that one...)

Phil Hartman all around! The anal retentive chef- loved that! I get it entirely too much, lol! Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer....Pres Clinton....Capt Carl (Ok, this was on PeeWee, but I loved him!)

Of course, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin, Christopher Walken are favorite hosts. I love when Chris does The Continental, lol! Remember Colonel Angus? :lol: Alec is crazy-good...the things he'll do! Shweddy Balls is classic.

Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey!

Have you seen this?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/57938/saturda ... e-wii-guys

There's just too much to name. :) I've usually loved the News...but the best, imo, was Tina Fey & Jimmy Fallon. Then Tina and Amy Poehler. :) (I loved Amy's 1-legged farting prostitue. :)

One of my favorite commercials:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... le/221774/

"Oops I crapped my pants..."

"Happy Fun Ball..."

"Woomba..."

There was a commercial I saw live that to my knowledge, they've never replayed. Tom thinks I dreamed it- I did NOT! Lol. It was a guy (I think Will Ferrell) checking out a luxury car that had a very special feature. It had a fake hoo-ha at the rear end and I swear-to-GOD, it showed him humping the rear-end of the car! It was slightly blurred, but there ya go! I was stunned- and then laughing my butt off! I've never seen it again.

Oh! Kristen Wiig- I love her! The Target Lady....Penelope the liar....doing Jamie Lee Curtis making an Activia commercial, lol....When she's that creepy tiny-handed lady I about pee my pants...especially when she wanders over and start popping bubbles, lol....

http://www.hulu.com/watch/37752/saturda ... -welk-show
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:35 am

Holy crap! I found it! It was called the Mercury Mistress....and not Ferrell....Chris Parnell. :)
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby vmh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:49 am

LauraK wrote:Chris Farley..."I live in a vaaaaaan.....down by the riverrrrr!"

I loved that! And Jack Handey too!

Another reoccuring skit that I liked was Celebrity Jeopardy.

And I agree with you on Jimmy and Tina being the best on Weekend Update though I don't have much to compare it too. The only other I've seen before them was Colin Quinn. I miss Amy Poehler. I think Seth Meyers is easy on the eyes :waggle: but I wouldn't mind seeing another correspondent out there with him.

Favorite current cast member: Bill Hader (And I'm happy to report that he'll be back next season!)
Favorite new featured player: Jay Pharoah

I know it's dumb but I'll never get sick of Laser Cats.

I noticed Netflix has every season available for instant viewing. I might start with S1 and work my way up. It's quite a lot to catch up on so I'm taking my time.
James Bobin: “It’s like a five-year-old and a three-year-old. Jemaine’s the five-year-old, and Bret’s the three-year-old. They’re both wrong, but the five-year-old thinks he’s right.”
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:58 am

Oh V, I LOVE Laser Cats! (Tho this past week's was kind of un-funny...)

Celeb Jeopardy is great- Jake quotes Sean Connery, lol! "I'll have The Rapists for $200."
:lol:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:56 am

YES! Everything LauraK said, those are some of my favorites. I will add a few to the list:

Waynes World, Waynes World http://www.hulu.com/watch/4088/saturday-night-live-waynes-world-with-aerosmith

Men's Synchronized Swimming http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4122944961711350389# (wish I could find the entire video, it's hilarious)

Consumer Probe, Irwin Mainway (wish I could find Christmas episode with the Bag O Glass)

Ed Grimley's triangle dance (just liked the triangle dance). It could happen.[youtube]http://youtu.be/vOz1kAQKY_Y[/youtube]

Chippendale's

Coffee Talk (why did they have to put Roseanne in this skit? :hrm: :tsk: )

The Chris Farley Show

This Chicagoan has to add Olympia Restaurant, Cheezburger, Cheezburger. No coke, Pepsi. http://www.hulu.com/watch/3533/saturday-night-live-the-olympia-restaurant

I was 16 yrs. old when SNL premiered. My SNL nights were spent with John Belushi, Dan Akroyd, Gilda Radner, Larraine Newman, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtain, Garrett Morris & Chevy Chase. There have been many great SNL moments, but I think my SNL memories were made by the best SNL cast ever.

V, I love celebrity Jeopardy. :roll2: :nod:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby LauraK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Yes! Ed Grimley, I must say! :lol:

Bill Murray's lounge singer, lol! "Star Wars.....nothing but Star Wars!"

Cheezburgicheezburgi, cheepcheep, no Pepsi-CokeCoke..... Lol!
Have you been here, Karen? http://youtu.be/8rpoZHT-boA
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:36 am

Laura, we have many of the same favorite sketches. I'm just not a fan of that odd Kristen Wiig character, though - it just doesn't make me laugh. :dunno:

I have watched it from the very first night it was on, and enjoyed tons of cast members since. My vocal group had done a pilot with Meat Loaf, and the director was Joe Dicso, who stage managed SNL for years, Through that connection, we were invited to SNL rehearsals ( one of Elliot Gould's shows), the dress rehearsal for the Kris Kristofferson show (does anyone remember a single skit from that one? :? ), and the airing of the Bruce Dern show (Eddie Murphy did the warmup and was fabulous), where a 7-months pregnant Nancy and her husband can be seen at the very end of the show. I got to meet John Belushi, Gilda Radner, and Chevy Chase, rode the elevator with Larraine Newman, found out one of the guys in my vocal trio went to high school with Bill Murray so we met up with him a few times. My ex went to middle school with Christine Ebersole and he made a TV movie with Martin Short. I'm sure there are other connections I've forgotten, but it was really so exiting to see the inner workings in the early days.
I could write about my favorites forever, but oine of my new faves is Vannessa Bayer, in my favorite sketch of this year:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... w/1260038/
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby vmh » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:59 am

:o

Nancy, that is REALLY awesome! :supz: What was it like meeting the original cast members? Any good stories?

I'm not much of a K. Wiig fan either. I'm really looking forward to Bridesmaids but her characters on SNL aren't that funny to me. The only one I enjoy is 2 A-Holes. This is just one of them:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/19052/saturday-night-live-2-a-holes-at-a-crime-scene
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby Nancy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:44 am

I was like a little kid watching these "Not Ready For Prime Time Players". I remember having a nice conversation with John Belushi becuse my roommate was on tour with Robber Bridegroom, and his friend Rhonda Coullet was friends with John and his wife, so I met him and said hello from Rhonda, so his eyes lit up and we had a nice chat. And I enjoyed talking with Gilda. What a true sweet- heart she was!
Here they all were, on a quick break between dress rehearsals, and the producer of our pilot was introducing me to them. I'm not sure what his connection with SNL was, but the whole crew was from SNL. No one knew me from Adam, but they were all so sweet and gracious. When I first got to the studio, the place was empty except for Chevy, who was sitting noodling at the piano with a Heineken nearby. He really was coming out with some great licks, so as he got up to leave I told him nice job, and my producer said, "Chevy, you just got paid a nice compliment from a very talented lady." (I was dyyyyinnngggg!)
I'll relate more as I think of it.
What's so funny about all of this discussion of SNL is that my Niece and her husband were talking about their favorite moments just last night! *cue Twilight Zone music*
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby vmh » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:17 pm

vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:13 pm

:lol:

We completely forgot to watch this week, grrr. We were watching DVR'd stuff. Poop.

Thanks for posting that, it was fab!
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby vmh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:13 am

So I guess Justin Timberlake is hosting the season finale. Thoughts?
vmh
A tasty piece of pastry

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:02 pm

I think it should be great- he's terrific on SNL; so comfortable in his comedic skin and willing to do anything. :D

I hope Jimmy comes on and they do The Barry Gibb Talk Show, it's one of mine and my Mom's faves. "Talkin it up.....on the Barry Gibb talk show.....Talkin bout chest hair....talkin bout real improtant issues...." :lol:

And of course....another short with Andy Samberg would be fab- provided it's as good as Dick in a Box and Mother Lover. :) Or something completely new and hilariously shocking would also work for me!
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby eejm » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:21 am

Because it was the 80s and my parents wouldn't shell out the money for cable, my brother and I used to watch SNL on weekends. I grew up on Eddie Murphy's Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood, the Church Lady, Fernando ("You look mahvelous!"), and oh, the commercial parodies.

Speaking of, this is my favorite of favorite commercial parodies ever. Funny, I remember it as Eddie Murphy impersonating Stevie Wonder. But it really was Stevie Wonder!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/124971/saturd ... ra?c=0%3A0
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Next

Return to General