It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:57 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Jemaine Clement discusses a FOTC movie and MIB3

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

EXCLUSIVE: Jemaine Clement discusses a FOTC movie and MIB3

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 pm

No idea where to put this so I thought I'd just create a new thread:

EXCLUSIVE: Jemaine Clement discusses a 'Flight of the Conchords' movie and 'Men in Black III'
Monday, 11 April 2011 12:32 Written by Jami Philbrick

Comedian, actor and musician Jemaine Clement is best known as one half of the comedic musical duo Flight of the Conchords, along with his partner Bret McKenzie. The New Zealand based comedy/musical act first took America by storm in 2001 with their hilarious self-titled HBO series Flight of the Conchords, which ran for only two seasons but spawned four popular albums. Fans were crushed in late 2009 when it was announced that there would not be a third season of the show, and Clement stated it was due to the fact that writing the songs for the series was taking up too much time. Considering Clement and McKenzie's ever growing busy schedules, its understandable why.

Since their series ended, the two performers have gone their separate ways. McKenzie recently contributed original songs to the upcoming film The Muppets, which is directed by Flight of the Conchords director James Bobin. He will also soon appear in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: Part 1 as Lindir, which is no small coincidence since the actor appeared in the original Lord of the Rings trilogy as Figwit the elf. Clement has been keeping busy as well starring in popular films like Gentlemen Broncos, Despicable Me, and Dinner For Schmucks. He will also soon be seen as the antagonist in two highly anticipated upcoming films including the animated movie Rio, from the creators of Ice Age, and the long awaited third chapter of the Men in Black series, Men in Black III. With so much on their plates, the question still remains: what will be the ultimate fate of Flight of the Conchords?

We recently had a chance to catch up with musician/comedian/actor Jemaine Clement while on the red carpet for the premiere of his new film Rio, which opens in US theaters on April 15th. While we know that the Flight of the Conchords television series is no more, as a hardcore fan of the band, I wanted to know what's in store for the group in the future. So I took the opportunity to ask Jemaine if he and Bret have plans to work on another album together any time soon. "We are thinking of writing some stuff," answered Clement. "Maybe some songs ... maybe a film." WHAT? Did Jemaine just say that they are planning a Flight of the Conchords movie? That's what it sounded like to me! I tried to follow up with Clement and find out more details about the proposed movie but the actor, who was sporting long hair, a beard, and resembled the artist-formally-known-as Cat Stevens, was quickly ushered away before I had a chance to ask.

However, I did have an opportunity to speak with Clement about his upcoming role in Men in Black III. The production has been plagued with delays and set backs including a two-month hiatus, which was rumored to be due to issues with the film's script. In the movie, Agent J (Will Smith) and Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) are forced to go back in time to the '1960s and work with a young Agent K (Josh Brolin). Their goal is to stop a time-traveling villain named Boris (Clement), who is determined to assassinate young Agent K in order to set off a chain of events that will lead to the destruction of the world. While he was pretty tight-lipped about the project, I asked the actor if he was now back to work shooting the film and he confirmed that he was. I also took the opportunity to ask Clement how production was going on the film and he replied, "Really good, it's fun." I followed up by asking the actor if he could give me some more details about the character that he plays in the movie. "I'm the bad guy," was unfortunately all that Clement would tell me about his role. Finally, I asked the talented performer if he was having fun working with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones on the film. "Yeah, they are great to work with," Clement replied.

So what do you think? Is a Flight of the Conchords movie something that you would like to see in the future? I, for one, hope it happens and I think that Clement and McKenzie are talented enough to pull it off. But do you think that the film will be able to successfully capture the magic of the TV series, or ultimately disappoint fans the way that fellow musical-comedy act Tenacious D's Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny did? And will Men in Black III be as big a hit as its predecessors, or do you think that it will be an out-of-this-world failure? I think the jury is still out on MIB III ... but only time will tell.

Rio opens in US theaters on April 15th.

Men in Black III is scheduled for release on May 25th, 2012.

Source

Not giving away much but it's still great to read about future FOTC plans. 8)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Jemaine Clement discusses a FOTC movie and MI

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:18 am

:D
Thanks for this, Venus.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby LauraK » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 am

Thanks, Venus!

Typical Jemaine answers, lol....and given quickly as he's being ushered down the line, it sounds like!

But if he said it, I'm going to believe it's something they're talking about. :D A FOTC movie would be fabulous, whether it's for the big screen or HBO!!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby eejm » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 am

Thanks Venus! :)

Someone mentioned a looong time ago the possibility making a rock opera/film out of old and new FOTC stuff. If Jemaine and Bret and crew go the film route, I'd love love love to see it in this format. :D
eejm
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:04 am

Awesome. It's wonderful when the interviewer is a great fan of the band. :)

"We are thinking of writing some stuff," answered Clement. "Maybe some songs ... maybe a film."

I love to hear him say 'we' and it means Flight of the Conchords. :heart: Too bad he didn't mention a tour. :| But...new songs...and a FILM! :whitey:

Thanks, Venus!
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby mockingbird » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:19 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:Awesome. It's wonderful when the interviewer is a great fan of the band. :)

:nod: :lol: "...Maybe some songs..." :thumb: I hope so. A movie would be cool of course but I'd really like them to write some more songs and go on tour again.
mockingbird
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Postby scatteringflowers » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:43 am

A Flight of the Conchords movie? mmh. Interesting. It would be an hard challenge for them I think.
Some new songs would be really appreciated :nod:
scatteringflowers
Lost but happy at sea

Postby mohumbhai mania » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:23 pm

I think Bret and Jemaine have better BS filters than Tenacious D. I think a movie would be really carefully thought out - they have had experience modifying the radio show for TV, live songs for albums. etc.

I wonder if Taika will direct? :pray:
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Venus » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:54 pm

No worries, everyone. :)

Oh yes, Taika directing would be awesome! :pray:

Yes, I love the fact that the interviewer was a fan. New songs and a film sound excellent to me!

This time last year, we were all getting excited about the upcoming Spring Mostly European Tour. It's a shame that we don't have a tour to look forward to at the moment but I know they're busy guys working on their individual projects and I know when they finally do team up again, it will be amazing. :D
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Return to Jemaine Clement