It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:36 am

'Rio' - Discuss the movie here

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

'Rio' - Discuss the movie here

Postby kipples » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:55 am

Went to see Rio today. Overall, I liked it and it is a good family film, but I would only recommend it to others (ie, non fotc/Jemaine obsessives!) if there was nothing else on.

Jemaine was great (he of course was the only reason I was even going to see it), but he wasn't my favourite character (probably because I had seen his clips so many times :worry: ) My favourite bird was Will.i.am. He was hillarious! Also Louise the dog had me cackling. Oh, and the monkeys :lol: I also made an audible shriek when Nigel gets sucked into the planes engine.
I probably liked it more then I remember. I did find myself getting bored a few times though, mainly during the sappy romantic scenes. I'm really an 8 year old boy at heart :D
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Re: Jemaine: New Film Project - 'Rio' in 3D Coming April 201

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:15 pm

I watched Rio today and I thought it was a really enjoyable, sweet film. Perhaps I did watch a few too many scenes before seeing the film in its entirety, but I still enjoyed watching Jemaine as Nigel and the other characters shone in their own way too. The music definitely blended in well with the film and I loved the warm and vibrant feel throughout the film. I watched it in 3D which showcased the beautiful and impressive animation.

Nigel being sucked in by the plane was quite a shock. I was worried that they actually killed him! But I breathed a sigh of relief when he made an appearance right at the end to confirm he was still alive. ;)
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: 'Rio' - Discuss the movie here

Postby SuzyBatt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:09 am

I'm thinking of going to see it tomorrow with hubby and dd - opening night. It would be the first time I see a movie on opening night in.... well, ever I think. :hrm:

Will (try to) report back...
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby Great H » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Finally went to see Rio this afternoon (it's coming to the end of its run here) and I have to say I was fairly uninspired by most of the movie - though it was wonderfully colourful! And I was barely able to stop myself from singing along with Jemaine's song! :lol:
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby SheWolf » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Since I don't intend to see it I'll chime in about the 2 commercials I've seen for it on TV. Both are forgettable and not doing the film any favors, particularly one that was so bad, well I forgot most of it, but I wish I could remember it to tell you how bad it was. :lol:

A question for those who saw it - do you like this type of animation? I was wondering if it looks impressive on a big screen because from what I've seen it looks cold & computer driven. I don't see any aesthetic value in it.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby SuzyBatt » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Well, I did go see it on Friday. And, although I don't see THAT many of these movies, I do see a few with dd. And I really liked this one. The animation was very life-like - for computer animation anyway. I know what you mean SW, it's not like the animation we grew up with, but for what it is I thought it far more life-like than the early computer animation and more naturalistic.

I appreciated the colourfulness of it. It's true that it wasn't particularly deep and it was fairly predictable, but there was a lot of interesting attention to detail. Dd did a project on Brazil earlier this year, so it was really interesting to see how a lot of what she studied was represented. And it was nice that the 'villain' was the familiar Jemaine, so she didn't get overly freaked out by him (she's soooooo sensitive to the baddies in movies). And for the record, Great H, she DID sing out loud during Nigel's song! :lol:

I'm sure if I had seen it on my own my review would likely be more critical. But since I put myself in the skin of a 9-year-old, this movie was a-ok to me! :wink:
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby kipples » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:59 pm

SheWolf wrote:A question for those who saw it - do you like this type of animation? I was wondering if it looks impressive on a big screen because from what I've seen it looks cold & computer driven. I don't see any aesthetic value in it.

I'm not that big into animation at all but it was visually gorgeous. Especially the opening scene. One thing I will say is don't bother trying to see it in 3D. It didn't make it any better or worse but there's no point in paying the extra to see it in 3D when there was really nothing done with it, apart from the odd wing coming at you. Plus those glasses make it really hard to see how much ice cream is on your spoon/stick.
kipples

Postby Venus » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Yes, I agree about how gorgeous the animation of Rio is. I do see what you mean about 3D, kipples. I'm not a massive fan of 3D especially when it's used in movies unnecessarily. I didn't mind watching Rio in 3D this time round though but I'm sure the bold and bright colours and impressive animation come across well in 2D too.
&
Venus

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:10 pm

I like the animation of Nigel in the Pretty Birds video. The movement IS very birdlike (I have two cockatiels...one of which is quite evil) and the featherwork is impressive as well.

I just can't make myself cough up the dough to go to the theatre for this though.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:36 pm

I really enjoyed the movie. :clap: :nod:

The things that I liked were:

The colors and music were so vibrant that it was really fun to watch. You couldn't sit still when the music was full on. Yep, there was some chair dancing goin' on.

The underlying messages weren't preachy. It touches on conservation, it touches on the topic of homeless children in brazil. One of the main characters has to resort to thievery because he's homeless. Those messages come across well and it is easy to take to heart.

The national pride of the country's sport, carnivale, music.

Jemaine was in so much of the movie. He has a really meaty part. Hearing his voice throughout the entire movie was awesomeness.

I laughed out loud a few times. Some of the one-liners were pretty funny.

Pet lovers will appreciate Linda/Blu's love & loyalty. Pets are afterall family. That part is really sweet and you really do feel her love & loss when Blu.....yeah so I got a little teary eyed.

This movie has a huge heart. It is a very sweet and fun family movie. It is only 82 minutes long which is just right for an animated film.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan

Postby mohumbhai mania » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:21 pm

Gonna merge the two threads, but my thoughts were:

Predictable, but you can never get tired of nice messages.

Nigel was great, but Tracey Morgan as the bulldog completely cracked me up. I hope those two show up later in shorts - like the squirrel in Ice Age. They had a short with him.

The scenery and the birds were amazing. The more normal people were boring, but the character humans were hilarious and fun.

will.i.am should just ditch his inane pop songs and go into voice acting.

The more trad Brazilian sounds were great, as was Jemaine's song.

I want to figure out how to re-cut the movie into a five minute clip so it follows the story of Black Orpheus with birds. Black Orpheus is the only adaptation of a Greek tragedy I know that begins and ends with dancing in the street. It is also pretty great, if sad. And LOUD.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby SecretCheri » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:09 am

I went to see the movie on Sunday (despite a final exam coming up this week :roll: ) in 2D, and I seriously loved it! I was smiling and laughing through almost the whole thing. I though that the "dancing" (by birds) was fascinating to watch and so beautiful! The music played such a big part, it felt like a musical to me (which I LOVE).

Jemaine's voice was entertaining to hear throughout the movie. I kept imagining what he looked like as he said the lines (the video clips I saw prior may have helped...), which only made me smile more. Plus, after Nigel's first evil part, a little boy in the theater loudly cried out, "I don't like that mean bird!" Think Jemaine played a convincing villain? I think so :)

I may be in the minority here, but the bulldog seriously grossed me out. I could barely watch that whole part of the movie, and it was probably the only major scene where I didn't laugh. I vote PASS on the slobbering animals, thank you!

Summed up, loved the birds...slightly weirded out by the humans and dog (but I did like the relationship between Linda and Blu). I would see it again!
SecretCheri
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:39 pm

SecretCheri wrote:I may be in the minority here, but the bulldog seriously grossed me out. I could barely watch that whole part of the movie, and it was probably the only major scene where I didn't laugh. I vote PASS on the slobbering animals, thank you!

Haha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that! I mean, Tracy Morgan did a great job voicing the dog and there were humorous moments involving that character but the drool definitely put me off. :lol:
&
Venus

Postby mohumbhai mania » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm not a drool person but the fact he was perturbed by it himself was funny.
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby SecretCheri » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 pm

mohumbhai mania wrote:I'm not a drool person but the fact he was perturbed by it himself was funny.

But it ended up alienating all of those people who are anti-drool! :wink: Anyone, are you pro- or anti- drool? :lol:

Maybe it will make me laugh more the next time I see it, the initial shock of all that slobbering may have put me off a bit the first time. I will give it a shot :)
SecretCheri
Registered Rhymnecologist

Next

Return to Jemaine Clement