It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Jemaine: New Film Project - 'Rio' in 3D Coming April 2011

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Re: Jemaine: New Film Project - 'Rio' in 3D Coming April 201

Postby MinorMajorStalker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:34 am

Just pictured Jemaine learning how to ride a motorcycle. :roll2: that pic venus posted got an audible "aww" from me. and even though I've gotten accustomed to the beard and kinda like it, I CAN'T WAIT for that thing to come off. don't mind the long hair as much, though :lol:
Welcome to my patio of death.
MinorMajorStalker
Half a shapely halibut

Postby LauraK » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:25 am

That could be any one of us right there, lol.....*oh god he's right there....he smells so good...* :lol:

Yeah, that interview was Awk-ward..... :oops: Especially when he asks him to do Nigel's voice....you can tell poor Jemaine's embarrassed. I'd hate doing all the promotion, too....soooo redundant! But he has to be a trouper....:)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby scatteringflowers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:23 am

The interview really is a bit awkward...and useless.
I like the new glasses though.
scatteringflowers
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Venus » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:23 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:So he's a hairy, hideous alien that rides a motorcycle and punches people. :lol: Oh my. I can hardly wait.

Yes! :D

Oh, I didn't notice that Jemaine had new glasses. Good eye, Amanda. Nice! :)

The research that went into that interview beforehand seems to have been that about.com video interview. Ah well, you can tell when the interviewers are true fans of Jemaine/FOTC cos they tend to go much better.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby Venus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:10 am

A couple of interviews:

Some extracts from IAR EXCLUSIVE: Photos and Interviews from the Los Angeles Premiere of 'Rio'

Sergio Mendes
Musician/comedian Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords plays the villain; an evil cockatoo named Nigel, and he actually wrote the song that his character sings in the movie. Finally, I asked Mendes what he thought of the number and if he collaborated with Clement at all on the song. “No that is his song, he wrote that and so beautifully. I love that part, and I love the voice that he does for the bird too,” replied Mendes.

Francisco Ramos
I followed that up by asking Ramos if he actually gets a chance to sing himself in the film. “No, I get to do a little dance thing that I do, but no I do not get to sing,” he replied. Since Ramos plays one of the monkeys that help Nigel capture Blu and Jewel in the film, I asked him if he was a fan of Flight of the Conchords and what he thought of the song that Clement wrote and contributed to the film. “It was such a great move. Yes, I am such a great fan of him and Flight of the Concords,” Ramos replied. “You could just tell that he threw that influence in when he starts rapping. It’s a very Flight of the Concords performance. I think it is great that he was able to do that.”

Jemaine
Finally, I had a chance to briefly speak with musician/comedian/actor Jemaine Clement, who plays the film’s antagonist, an evil cockatoo named Nigel. But Clement is best known for his work as one half of the comedic/musical-duo Flight of the Conchords. The group has recorded four albums and had a very popular TV series that ran for two seasons on HBO. Fans of the series, and the band’s work in general, will definitely want to see Rio as it basically features a brand new Conchords song. As previously mentioned, Clement wrote the song that his character sings in the movie, which acts as a origin story and introduces the bitter character to the audience. It is absolutely one of the highlights of the movie. So I asked Clement what the process was like for him writing the song for the film. “Most of it I did by myself, like on a laptop at home, he replied. “I would send it off and they would say, too slow. Then they would say, too fast, and make it more fun, or make it blah, blah, blah. Because I can’t tell what the rest of the music is like, I am trying to make it fit in without hearing it. But eventually we got it, and I am really happy with it,” Clement concluded.

Pics:

USA Today:
Rio' villain takes flight, thanks to a Conchord
By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

A sizable flock of admirers was left adrift after HBO grounded Flight of the Conchords in 2009 after only two seasons. How could they exist without a regular fix of the faux-folk stylings of Jemaine Clement (the bespectacled one) and Bret McKenzie (the cute one), those crazy-cool comedy troubadours from New Zealand?

Turns out these Kiwi lads were a band with a plan. After infiltrating the world of pay cable, the duo simply set their warped sights on another entertainment target: family films.

While McKenzie, 34, is working behind the scenes supervising the music and contributing songs to Disney's November relaunch of the Muppets movie franchise, Clement, 37, has claimed a showstopping role as the voice of the villain in the weekend's No. 1 film, Rio. The new music-filled animated feature, set in Brazil, is by the makers of the Ice Age films.

Clement agreed to play Nigel — a cockatoo who is both molting and revolting — after the filmmakers showed him footage of the character mouthing one of his speeches from his HBO series.

"I love animation as an art form," says the actor, whose résumé includes TV's The Simpsons (he and McKenzie were depicted as camp counselors) and the 3-D comedy film Despicable Me. "As a kid, I watched cartoons constantly. I can't tell you how many hours."

The first animated film he recalls seeing is Watership Down, a 1978 British production based on the best seller about a society of rabbits. One character made a lasting impression: "There was this seagull, and it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. He actually tells the rabbits to 'piss off!' "

Now, Clement, too, is a winged menace, one in cahoots with a gang of smugglers who kidnap Rio's would-be lovebirds, a pair of rare blue macaws voiced by Jesse Eisenberg and Anne Hathaway. Like most cockatoos, Nigel hails from Australia, although a few have been known to sneak into nearby New Zealand.

Rio director Carlos Saldanha, a Conchords fan, thought Clement would be perfect to speak for "this twisted little bird" who shares at least one unsavory trait with Hannibal Lecter: a taste for cannibalism (turns out cockatoos actually do feast on chicken). "I adore those guys, and Jemaine's voice is so unique. Sarcastic and charming at the same time, and very deadpan."

Though Clement put on a Down Under accent for several Outback Steakhouse commercials a few years back, he didn't change his New Zealand inflections too much for Nigel, a washed-up soap-opera star whose bitterness has caused him to be a traitor to his kind. Although he was somewhat inspired by Aussie actor Geoffrey Rush, especially when making such alliterative pronouncements to Nigel's sticky-fingered monkey flunkies as "I'm not interested in your nicked knickknacks. Your burgled baubles bore me."

Those suffering from Conchords withdrawal will savor his malicious crooning on Pretty Bird, a song co-written and performed by Clement that has become a bit of a viral hit on the Internet.

The clever lyrics, especially a rap interlude, are distinctly Conchordian. A sample: "I'm a feathery freak with a beak/ a bird murderer/ You think you're badder than me?/ I never heard of ya/ I'm evil, I'll fill your cheese balls with weevils/ I'll poop on people and blame it on seagulls."

Ah, nothing like a little bathroom humor in a G-rated outing, although Clement says a few other lines suggested by his fellow lyricists did not make the cut, including, "I'll cheat on my tax/ give all of your cats a free Brazilian wax."

The fact that he and McKenzie each got married and had a child in the past three years just might have something to do with their involvement with child-oriented projects. "It's a cliché," acknowledges Clement, whose son, Sophocles (named after a Greek great-grandfather), is 2. "It is what everyone does once they have a kid. But you want there to be good stuff for them, especially when you have to see it, too."

While it was just announced that McKenzie will return to elf duty for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit after creating a cult sensation as an extra nicknamed Figwit in The Lord of the Rings, Clement takes on a different kind of villain for Men in Black III, due next summer. "I'm an evil alien named Boris the Animal." No Kiwi-flavored vocalizing this time. "I speak with a British accent — that is the standard in evil-alien accents."

Source

:)
&
Venus

Postby SheWolf » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Boris the Animal. :waggle:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby LauraK » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I love it. :twisted:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Have you guys seen this interview yet?

http://www.tribute.ca/interviews/jemain ... tar/45761/

"We'll be back. We'll be back." :yay:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby LauraK » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Ohhhh....that tiny little throaty giggle after she asked how he found his inner evil cockatoo..... :drool:

He's so adorable describing his day on set with Will and Tommy and being nervous and a bit starstruck. :D And her (deserved) heaps of praise always earned a bit of a shy "thanks" that I loved. :heart:

The "we'll be back"s were great too, since that's exactly what he said to me in Detroit! We're holding you to it, Jemaine! :D

Thanks, nonch- that was great. It was nice seeing an interview where the interviewer is well-versed on their subject and is even a fan. He seemed genuinely pleased and a bit shy. :hug:
ImageImage
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Amanda » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Aww Nonch :hug: THANK YOU!!
That video just made my day :heartbeat: <--- me all giddy and grinning like a fool.

THEY'LL BE BAAAAACKKKKK!!!* :woohoo:

*today, two years ago, was my first FOTC concert :sing: ..it was in Toronto with Bibli and Turnip :hug: I knew right then I was hooked for good to this man:

But if you did I'd hold you tight / Into every single night
And we'd fall asleep together / And we'd wake up in the sunlight
Well, maybe I'm a dreamer / But maybe one day you'll see / That dreams are...
Amanda
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Venus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Oh wow, the Toronto gig was two years ago today? How awesome! The interview is particularly fitting for this occasion then. :thumb:

Great interview! Gotta love it when interviewers are genuine fans and I'm glad she mentioned that they've gotta keep touring. :) It was cute when Jemaine was describing how intimidated and nervous he was on the first day on set of MIB3 and how he doesn't think he's funny. :heart:
&
Venus

Postby SheWolf » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:03 pm

"Buh bye." :D
Amanda wrote:*today, two years ago, was my first FOTC concert :sing: ..
Sweet, & how appropriate that that vid turned up today.

The anniversary of my first FOTC show is coming up in a couple of weeks & coincidentally there will be some WTFers around me to celebrate with.
:boogie: :folkon:
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:32 am

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

PS Notice the date I became a WTFer? :eyelashes: Good time to celebrate.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby SheWolf » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:13 pm

:o :thumb: It will also be the anniversary week of mine & Nonch's trip to Amsterdam. A very good week indeed. :)
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:34 pm

So that also means that this is the first April/May in a few years with no Flight of the Conchords tour? :|

But we will celebrate the memories, and hope for the future! :partyman: Thanks for the hope, Jemaine! :thumb:

I'm glad I went to the trouble of watching that interview, at first I thought it was the same lame Memphis one but then I saw that it was 6 minutes long. :D I wonder how many 'live via remote' interviews he did last week?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement