Taika at the New Zealand Film Festival in London

Director, writer, actor, comedian and artist.

Moderator: Venus

Taika at the New Zealand Film Festival in London

Postby Venus » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:28 am

Just want to quickly thank World of Taika for initially giving me a heads up about the New Zealand Film Festival in London. Taika introduced Boy and Two Cars, One Night yesterday evening and I was fortunate enough to meet him afterwards too (as well as Iain Morris, writer of The Inbetweeners and a couple FOTC episodes and Joe who plays Simon in The Inbetweeners). I will also be attending the screening of Eagle vs Shark today with + a Q&A with Taika. Kipples came along too and will be attending today as well. Can't wait! :D

I will of course post more details soon!
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Random Taika Goodness

Postby emira » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:59 am

Venus wrote:Just want to quickly thank World of Taika for initially giving me a heads up about the New Zealand Film Festival in London.

:hug:

I will of course post more details soon!

And I'll be happy to use "for the public" version on WOT > Encounters, if I may ask for it. :wink:
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Re: Random Taika Goodness

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:02 am

Was just at FB looking at awesome Taika/kipples/Venus pics- can I just say how jealous I am?! Wow. Boy, 2CON, and EvS on the big screen?! Q&A? :thud: I wish.

So glad you got to go and meet up with kipples and meet Taika! :supz: Who looks amazing, btw. :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Re: Taika at the New Zealand Film Festival in London

Postby Venus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:19 am

Oh and we watched Tama Tu just before Eagle vs Shark! It was pretty much as Taika described during his introduction of Boy when he described the NZFF as something like "the life and works of Taika Waititi". ;) Thanks Laura, it was a wonderful experience to watch his films on the big screen and it was of course lots of fun meeting up with kipples again. We all know Taika's a very good looking guy but he really is particularly handsome in real life too. He's also very down to earth, generous with his time and friendly. :D

Yes, emira I will get down to typing up my experience soon and I'll send you a version for the WOT site.

I tried to take a discreet video of the Q&A last Saturday so here it is. There are some interesting moments in there!:
&
Venus

Postby SuzyBatt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:39 am

Yes, I saw the FB pics too. They look amazing, especially Kipples' DVD cover! :supz:

Congrats ladies on another cool experience! 8)
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby kipples » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:17 am

I have quite a bit of free time thanks to a wet floor and gravity so I should hopefully get a write up posted soon enough.
kipples
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:30 am

Don't tell me you took a spill? :shock:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby emira » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 am

Thanks, Venus! I'll be happy to post your story along with your awesome photos. Same goes to you, kipples :wink: (Sorry about your arm :hug: ).
I love your customized DVD covers! :rolls:

I'm waiting for Ch. to reply. She's still busy in London. She had so great experience as well and has a photo of Taika that he took it himself and draw something on it. :heart:
emira
Half a shapely halibut

Postby kipples » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Nancy wrote:Don't tell me you took a spill? :shock:

Yeah, if you head to my fb page there's a pic and how it happened is on my status.

emira wrote:Thanks, Venus! I'll be happy to post your story along with your awesome photos. Same goes to you, kipples :wink: (Sorry about your arm :hug: ).

Thanks hon :wink:

I'll have a go at the write up now....
kipples

Postby kipples » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:43 pm

Two Wednesdays ago I was just heading back to work after lunch. I quickly checked facebook on my phone and saw I had a message from Venus saying the Barbican had confirmed that Taika was going to be introducing his movies and doing a Q&A after Eagle vs Shark. Boy was sold out but I could get over that.
I rang my friend Eric, who I had shown Boy and Eagle vs Shark to (and in turn, he had shown it to a few of his mates) and asked if, on the off chance, he would like to come along. He answered in the affirmative :D

Fast forward to last Friday afternoon. We arrived at the hotel in Gants Hill and met up with Venus. Eric was adamant that we would be able to get tickets for Boy, so while I had a shower they went downstairs to get the number for the Barbican. They returned with the great news that two tickets had just become available! Centre seats at that :supz:
Venus left to meet with friends and Eric and I bedded down for some much needed sleep. Two hours later we woke up and started making our way in. At 7.22 we were still on the tube and the show was due to start at half past. I swear, nearly every tube ride we took there was some element of stress involved somewhere (getting the wrong train, being told I didn't have enough on my travel card, lines being closed...still great craic though :D ).

When we got there there were still people hanging around the foyer and we weren't even the last to get into our row. Eric went to the bathroom and to get us a drink. He returned with a big grin but without the drinks! He said he was on his way to the bar when Taika came out of the lift beside it. He did an about turn in the middle of the foyer (there was no one else there by then) and ran back to his seat. Taika wasn't far behind!

Seeing Boy on the big screen was just incredible. It's funny how you can see a movie so many times but when you see it on the big screen it's like seeing it for the first time (same thing happened when I saw Back to the Future last year).
After the movie we headed to the bar and I was very surprised to see Taika there as well! During the intro he said he was jet lagged and wouldn't be watching the movie. I took this to mean he wouldn't be hanging around, but there he was.
Venus and I waited a while to choose the right moment to go over to him. He was talking to a couple and he seemed to know them so we didn't want to be rude and interrupt. We saw what appeared to be a lull in their conversation and walked over, heart beating like a drum!

I broke the ice first with "Excuse me Mr Waititi..." but as soon as he saw my t-shirt he went "Heeey! Look at this!". I can't remember the exact order in what was said next (if you can clarify any of this Venus that would be great) but I told him I was a big fan and I had come over from Ireland especially to see the film, and that I already had it on DVD! I pulled out my copy and told him a friend had sent it over to me (and I will be forever grateful to Great H :hug:) and it was a region free copy. I asked if he would mind signing it, and he said "of course" and he went to find a flat surface to do it on. Myself and Vesna waited for what I thought would be a quick signature, but after about a minute we realised he seemed to be putting a lot of thought into it. He turned to me and asked me my name, I said "Aimée, but it's spelt..(and then I spelt it out)", and I swear to god, the look and smile he gave me was H-O-T :thud: !!! I smiled back and said "I know, I just had to be different". He replied "Yea you had to be different" and he gave me a wink and started nodding his head. I have never loved my name so much!

I'm going to leave it there. That bit alone has taken me over three hours to write, with a few breaks and an episode of Graham Norton in between I'll admit :worry:

Eric counted the dots around his face, there are 67. We are geeks!
kipples

Postby ItsAllRyche » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:42 pm

WOW. I mean WOW :clap: This has got to be the coolest thing I have seen in ages. Many many ages. :D

I am so glad you made the venture down to see him. :thumb: OMG, he is the BEST !! :yay:
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Venus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:16 pm

:yay: Such a great photo with Taika and your BOY DVD cover is beyond amazing! :supz:

Before and during the screening of Two Cars, One Night and BOY
I met up with kipples and her friend Eric earlier in the day as they arrived at their hotel. At first my friends and I only had tickets to the screening of BOY whilst kipples and Eric didn't have any since tickets sold out quite quickly but I was confident we could somehow get our hands on some tickets. I decided to ring up The Barbican to double check whether it was sold out and luckily, the person I spoke to on the phone said that there had just been a cancellation so kipples and Eric were able to attend. :D

Kipples and Eric were sitting in the row behind me and my friends and once I caught kipples’ attention, kipples pointed out that Taika was upstairs so I looked up and there Taika was looking quite dapper in a suit jacket, grey waistcoat, grey trousers and black t-shirt hanging out on the stairs talking to a couple of people. Iain Morris, writer of The Inbetweeners and a couple FOTC episodes came to sit on the other side of the same row as me.

During the introduction of Two Cars, One Night, Taika amused the audience by generally being quite awkward, laid back and acting as if he didn’t quite know what to say. He started off by saying that he came in from LA which he described as a place in America as the person who introduced Taika was unsure of whether he came in from LA or NYC. He talked about being incredibly jetlagged and that it felt as though everything was moving around him, even the jagged structures on the walls but then went on to say that the place looked cool. He described the New Zealand Film Festival as a showcase of the “life and works of Taika Waititi” and thanked the organisers. He also asked how many New Zealanders were in attendance and since there were quite a few cheers, Taika was like “eurgh”. :lol: He talked a bit about the cast of BOY by talking about James Rolleston and how the lead actor was re-cast because he grew up fast but he was given another role. He also talked about where BOY was filmed and how practically everyone in the town is a relative of his. Since he had already watched the films, he said he would just leave after giving his introduction but in fact it turned out that he stayed and mingled with everyone outside the cinema at the bar outside afterwards.

After Taika’s introduction, they showed this advert for the New Zealand Film Festival and they also showed advert for New Zealand with a focus on the rugby. One by One by The Black Seeds happened to also be playing in the background. :lalala:

I thoroughly enjoyed watching both Two Cars, One Night and BOY on the big screen. It was also really interesting listening to people’s reactions throughout both films. There was lots more laughter than I was expecting, especially during Two Cars, One Night. There was applause at the end of each film and after the Thriller/Haka dance during the credits. Thus I would say both films were very well received by the audience.

My encounter with Taika
After the screening we saw Taika hanging out with Iain and a few other people so kipples and I just waited for the right time to go up to him and say hello. I followed kipples’ lead and she introduced herself to Taika and once Taika caught sight of her Crazy Horses t-shirt, he had a big smile on his face and was like, “Heeeyyy!” and hugged kipples. Then I introduced myself and he said in a really upbeat manner, “Hi, I’m Taika!” He had the cutest smile on his face and gave me a big hug which was really unexpected and nearly made me melt. :heart:

Kipples handed over her DVD to be signed by Taika and he said that he needed a flat surface so we just followed behind him and waited for him to finish signing her DVD which ended up taking quite a while! As you can see, he gave kipples’ DVD an awesome makeover!

In the meantime, I saw Iain momentarily standing to the side by himself after he finished talking on the phone so I went up to him to introduce myself and said that I recognised him since I’m a big fan of The Inbetweeners. He seemed quite surprised and impressed that I recognised him lol and he was just really friendly. He told me that one of the actors in The Inbetweeners was here and he happened to be Joe Thomas who plays Simon in the show. Joe walked over so I shook his hand. He was very easy going and they were all having some banter about why Joe wasn’t there for the actual screening since he hasn’t seen Boy and he was joking around about his girlfriend being part of the reason why he couldn’t make the screening. We talked about the upcoming Inbetweeners movie and I told them that I had seen the teaser trailer. I asked Joe for a photo and he replied, “Of course, yeah sure!”. They were all really down to earth and easy going.

Once Taika was done signing kipples’ DVD cover, I asked both Taika and Iain to sign my FOTC S1 DVD cover. Iain had a look at all of the autographs and asked where he should sign since the front is quite full so he ended up signing the back. I told them about who I've got to sign the DVD so far and Iain talked about how amazing Arj was at Edinburgh last year and said, “Oh, you got Aziz to sign it too”. Iain then went on to say that we could have a debate about who wrote the best episode, him or Taika. Kipples mentioned that Iain wrote 'The Actor' in Season 1 of FOTC but Iain didn’t seem to remember the name of it or something lol. Taika laughed and said that he was glad that she remembered since Iain doesn’t seem to.

At some point, I told Taika how much I love BOY and that my friends who hadn’t seen it before really enjoyed it too and he smiled and thanked me. I also told him that I was attending the screening of Eagle vs Shark which is one of my favourite films and he was like, “Oh really? I’m glad, thank you”. After that I asked Taika if I could take a photo with him. At first he put his arm around me and we just smiled for the camera. And then he said something along the lines of, “We have to do the Crazy Horses sign now!” so we took another photo doing the gang sign. I also asked Iain for a photo whilst he was waiting for drinks at the bar.

More photos are up on my Facebook profile.

I’ll write up about our experience the day after at the Tama Tu & Eagle vs Shark screening + Q&A soon. :)
&
Venus

Postby emira » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:07 pm

:prayer: to both of you.

:heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart:
emira
Half a shapely halibut