Bret to star in "Austenland"

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Bret to star in "Austenland"

Postby Venus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Jerusha Hess to Direct Romantic Comedy with 'Twilight' Author Stephenie Meyer Producing (Exclusive)

The "Napoleon Dynamite" co-writer has lined up Keri Russell, J.J. Field and Bret McKenzie to star in the romantic comedy "Austenland," which will be Meyer's debut as a producer.

Keri Russell, JJ Field and Bret McKenzie will star in Austenland, an indie romantic comedy that is serving as the directorial debut of Jerusha Hess, who co-wrote Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre with her husband, helmer Jared Hess.
In a twist, the movie is also serving as the producing debut of Stephenie Meyer, author of the best-selling vampire books The Twilight Saga.

Meyer is producing and financing the pic though her Fickle Fish Films banner, which she runs with Meghan Hibbett. Moxie Pictures’ Gina Mingacci is also producing.

Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Seymur, Rupert Vansittart and James Callis make up the supporting cast of the romcom, which centers on a single thirty-something woman with a secret obsession with Mr. Darcy -- as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. The obsession is ruining her love life because no real man can compare.

When she decides to spend her life savings on a trip to an English resort catering to Jane Austen-crazed women, the woman's fantasy of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman becomes more real than she could have imagined.

The movie begins shooting this week in the UK. UTA is handling international sales.

Hess, who also co-wrote Gentlemen Broncos and is an exec producer on the Fox’s animated TV series version of Napoleon Dynamite, is repped by UTA.

Russell, repped by WME, recently wrapped indie feature Goats, which also stars David Duchovny and Vera Farmiga.
Fields, repped by ICM, next plays British superhero Union Jack in Captain America: The Next Avenger.
Email: Borys.Kit@thr.com
Twitter: @Borys_Kit

Source

Wow! :D

For more of a detailed discussion about the book by Shannon Hale, please post in this thread.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: Bret to star in "Austenland"

Postby Great H » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Ooo! I wonder if Bret is going to be the "the perfect Regency-era gentleman"?
He'd be good. After all he's already rocked a top hat as Mr Bainbridge...
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Venus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:01 am

Haha, yes I immediately thought of Bret as Mr. Bainbridge and our ongoing discussions about Bret/Jemaine playing a role in Pride and Prejudice. Can't wait to read more about this film. :D
I also want to know where exactly in the UK they will be filming and whether Bret is going to be there...

A little more info:
J.J. Feild, Keri Russel and Bret McKenzie are set to headline an indie romantic drama entitled Austenland, says a story at The Hollywood Reporter. The film will mark the directorial debut of Jershua Hess, best known as the co-writer Napoleon Dynamite alongside her husband, Jared Hess (who directed) and will be produced by "The Twilight Saga author Stephenie Meyer.

The film is based on a novel by Shannon Hale (who also co-wrote the screenplay with Hess) and is officially described on the author's site as follows:

Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice", is ruining her love life: no real man can compare. But when a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane’s fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined.

Decked out in empire-waist gowns, Jane struggles to master Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen—or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them. It’s all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to fall away, and the more she wonders: Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?

Russell will play the part of Jane with Feild playing a Darcy-impersonator who works for the resort.

James Callis, Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Seymour and Rupert Vansittart are set to appear in the project as well, set to begin shooting immediately in the UK.

Source

Gonna add this book to my summer reading list. 8)
&
Venus

Postby bibliaddict » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:34 am

The book is great fun and I look forward to Bret in breeches & etc.! i.e.:

Spandex Inspector #12
bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby bibliaddict » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:42 am

WAIT! Even BETTER!

CHOPS.

Spandex Inspector #12
bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby LauraK » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 am

Is "realer" a word?? :shock:

All that, and what stands out to me is that word. It set my teeth on edge to read it. :lol:

This story rings a bell for me, though! Like maybe I'd read about the book's premise or seen some sort or preview about it?? I don't know...but it sounds pretty wonderful! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Faith » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:37 am

I want to read the book now.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:39 am

Wow! What a great project for Bret. Bibli, do you have any idea who he'll be playing?

I love Keri Russell - did anyone catch her in Waitress? Excellent work.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm

:woohoo: YES! :woohoo:

:thumb: This could be good. I loved Bridget Jones' Diary and the book Austenland has a very similar tone. Light and funny and doesn't take itself too seriously. I smiled a lot at the blatant and subtle Austen/Bronte references generously (and lovingly) sprinkled throughout, and parts of the book made me laugh out loud. (Lord, the airport!) There are a couple of roles I could see Bret in. Probably the next largest male role next to the Darcy character (Mr. Nobley lol) is the gardener Theodore. There are a couple of other gentlemen at the resort with fairly decent roles; Colonel Andrews and Captain East...so who knows? Jennifer Coolidge will slay as Miss Charming and I'm excited about Keri Russell. (I loved The Waitress) I could picture this whole movie as I read the book. I'll lay odds that James Callis will play Colonel Andrews. (Guh..LUV him) There is room for a ton of cameo's as well if they decide to use the heroine's tragic list of boyfriends that begin each chapter. :lol: Bah, the names of the characters are so ridiculous! I hope Hess delivers on this. I'm rooting for her. :cheer:

Filming begins immediately! How exciting! :D

LauraK wrote:This story rings a bell for me, though! Like maybe I'd read about the book's premise or seen some sort or preview about it??

The book has been around for a while, and there are a couple stories that are similar. I generally devour anything Austen-esque...bad or good, just longing for more... There have been so many good adaptations or modernizations of Jane Austen's stories. I think Becoming Jane was one of my faves for weaving the stories into her actual life.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby bibliaddict » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:22 pm

The book is from 2007, so check out your library for it. I hope Bret is Theodore.
Spandex Inspector #12
bibliaddict
Consistently Mediocre

Postby Venus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:55 pm

From Shannon Hale's blog, Bret is playing the part of Martin :) :
The simple beauty of a perfect cast
&
Venus

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:05 pm

:D YES again! :woohoo: (Martin and Theodore are the same person) This is really good news. It's a meaty part with lots of secrets, make out sessions, elegant dancing and iirc even a shirtless scene! 8) I won't say any more as I don't want to spoil anything but Martin is a very sexy guy and not at all dimwitted!!! :lol: I'm so pleased he's getting to play this role.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby Venus » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Yay, sounds great! Thanks for the info, nonch! Can't wait to start reading the book. :D
&
Venus

Postby Faith » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Bret and James Callis? I'm totally watching this movie now. :D
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby ItsAllRyche » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:17 am

nonchalant obsession wrote::D YES again! :woohoo: (Martin and Theodore are the same person) This is really good news. It's a meaty part with lots of secrets, make out sessions, elegant dancing and iirc even a shirtless scene! 8) I won't say any more as I don't want to spoil anything but Martin is a very sexy guy and not at all dimwitted!!! :lol: I'm so pleased he's getting to play this role.

YAY! About time Bret got some attention! Yes this is a great role, he will fit it perfectly...he looks like Greg Wise who is John "Willoughby" in Sense and Sensibility. One of my forever faves!

I can hear Marianne/Nonch :wink: now "Oh Willoughby, :cry: oh Willoughby" Yeah, I think he looks that much like him especially with the chops. Scrumptious!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Next

Return to Bret McKenzie