It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Bret to star in "Austenland"

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderator: Venus

Re: Bret to star in "Austenland"

Postby SuzyBatt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:35 am

Let me just add my own :yay: !!

Something to get excited about! Hope I get to see this one...

Go Bretty! :supz:

bibliaddict wrote:The book is from 2007, so check out your library for it. I hope Bret is Theodore.

Will do bibli, will do.
SuzyBatt
Lucky for me I have a short attention sp ....

Postby LauraK » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:23 am

So who do you think she had in mind as she wrote the book and that very actor was cast? :) (From her blog...)

I'll def be getting this book soon! :D
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:56 pm

It was the Miss Charming/Jennifer Coolidge pairing. She mentions her dream cast here. Bret's been compared to Hugh Jackman once before. :lol:

ItsAllRyche wrote:YAY! About time Bret got some attention! Yes this is a great role, he will fit it perfectly...he looks like Greg Wise who is John "Willoughby" in Sense and Sensibility. One of my forever faves!

I can hear Marianne/Nonch :wink: now "Oh Willoughby, :cry: oh Willoughby" Yeah, I think he looks that much like him especially with the chops. Scrumptious!

Oh yes...YES!

I hope we all get to see it, Suzy and in a theater too! :wink: With Stephanie Meyer producing...the odds are good. :lol:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:08 pm

Remember this one too? :lol: Oh yes, I've had this fantasy going a long time. :blush:

Any word on when this movie is slated for release? I also read somewhere that Keri Russell is preggers. Fortunately those old fashioned dresses can hide a baby bump without much trouble. I've seen tweets from Shannon Hale (the author of the book) and another female actress (Georgia King) who are quite thrilled to be working with Bret.

Shannon Hale wrote:"Why is Bret Mckenzie doing that movie?" 1.he's awesome 2.he's awesome 3.he's awesome

Georgia King wrote:Yep- Bret Mckenzie is also in the film Im about to start. Life is awesome! Yahoo.

I love these ladies already! :D I hope it's a great experience for him. :heart:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Faith » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 pm

I looked it up on imdb to see if there was any kind of release date and it just says 2012.
Faith
A pastry chef and a sniper

Postby Venus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Of course your photoshop creations came to mind when this was announced, nonch! :thumb:

Yep I'm following both of them on Twitter. Looks like they're set to have lots of fun filming this. I hope we get regular updates about it. :)

Ooh, 2012 looks like it's gonna be a big year for Bret and Jemaine with the release of many of their films they've been working on recently.
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby nonchalant obsession » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks! :) 2012... :waiting: I hope the ladies keep us posted.

Anyone know anything about J.J. Field? Lovely, but he seems a bit fair to be our Mr. Darcy/Mr. Nobley.

Looks like he's got experience! I'm sure I've seen Northanger Abbey, but I don't remember him.

Maybe they'll darken him up....and I'm sorry but seriously...who can hope to compare to Colin as Mr. Darcy? :thud:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Venus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:07 pm

Definitely agree about Colin Firth being practically perfect as Mr. Darcy. :heart: I'm willing to learn more about J.J. Field though as I didn't know who he was prior to this announcement either.

Jennifer Coolidge arrived in London over the weekend according to her tweets.
The book arrived at my house today so I can't wait to start reading it. :read:
&
Venus

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:52 pm

We must start a discussion about the book. :nod: Allow me to whet our appetites...(I just put the thing on my Nook for a re-read)

No spoilers here, but if you would rather read the book without my brief teaser I've used the spoiler box.

Martin (who is an actor playing Theodore the gardener) isn't supposed to interact with the ladies at the resort...he would lose his job, but Jane is drawn to him as the only 'real' person there and the fakeness of the others is nauseating to her. She knocks on the door of Martin's place and he answers the door damp from the shower in jeans and nothing else but a towel around his neck. He invites her in for a clandestine evening of basketball on tv, root beer and lots of making out to the soft glow of the telly. She begins to visit him secretly each evening...dreaming of him all day.

Come along everyone and slum with us hopeless romantics for a bit :P ...go purchase or check out the book. You will have it read in a couple of hours. I'm glad I bought it. I'm having a good time reading it with Bret in mind specifically. :whistle:

I can't wait to see Bret as a bit of a scoundrel! Martin is described with longish hair...I hope Bret lets his grow, though filming has probably already begun or soon will and it's still pretty short at this point. bummer. I hope they keep him a bit scruffy, he is only a gardener after all....perhaps he'll have to get tan (from working outdoors) and work out a bit to prep for the shirtless scene...

:thud:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Venus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Ooh, I'm loving the sound of your little teaser, nonch! :D

Just created a thread for more detailed discussion about the book here.

ETA: Shannon Hale's latest blog post "Austenland set, day 1". Haha, looking forward to hopefully reading more of her blog posts! :D
&
Venus

Postby LauraK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:55 pm

It's going to be fun following her blog as this is filmed and seeing set pics and then finally, seeing the actual film. 8)

And I'm sure she'll spell his name right next time. :)
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby ItsAllRyche » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 am

Got this from Shannon Hales site (Link below):

The simple beauty of a perfect cast
Whew! It's so nice to be able to talk about this at last! If you're not interested in movie making or screenwriting or Austenland, then avert your eyes from this blog for the next couple of months. I will tell all that I can! I will NOT be revealing things I shouldn't, such as exact locations of the filming, etc. But I got the go ahead to say who is playing which character.

Jane - Keri Russell
Nobley - JJ Feild
Martin - Bret Mckenzie
Miss Charming - Jennifer Coolidge
Colonel Andrews - James Callis
Mrs. Wattlesbrook - Jane Seymour
Mr. Wattlesbrook - Rupert Vansittart

http://oinks.squeetus.com/2011/07/the-s ... -cast.html

Yeah, Laura, you are so right, it is gonna be fun following this blog!
[img]Arj-Barker-Banner-arj-barker-230459_800_100[/img]
ItsAllRyche
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:39 pm

I hope Shannon Hale keeps the fans well fed with info. 8) (and get's out there to meet the cast)

I was just thinking, unless they make some changes - Bret will be playing an englishman. That means he'll get to use his Inner City Pressure accent! :lol:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Venus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:10 pm

Haha, "Inner City Pressure" accent. Love it. ;)

Well this week, Bret was spotted filming Austenland at Stansted (presumably the airport?) according to one guy's tweets: this tweet and this one.

I wonder if Jennifer Coolidge will show us some photos of her costumes as she mentioned here.
&
Venus

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Ah, the airport scene! :roll2: Too bad there aren't any pics! It would make sense that they would try and get all the scenes filmed with Keri Russell in plain clothes, though I think it would be hard to jump right into a scene like that after (presumably) just meeting your fellow castmates for the first time!
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

PreviousNext

Return to Bret McKenzie