What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
SheWolf
 Post subject: Re: Look Through Any Window (The Weather Thread)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:04 pm 
Boom King!

Faith you're near Denver right? My cousin lives an hour outside of Denver and they got more than a foot of snow yesterday. She said they usually get one snow storm every October.

Faith
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:37 am 
A pastry chef and a sniper

I'm about 20 minutes south of downtown Denver. The people who live in or near the mountains and foothills definitely got more snow than we did.

Nancy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:08 am 
Persona Non Regatta

I would imagine that they're used to many inches of the white stuff there. Boy, I pray that all the rain we had this summer doesn't translate into snowflakes here this winter. :pray:
Petey, my little PT Cruiser, is used to being in a garage, and now he's out in a parking lot. I'm not looking forward to clearing the ice and snow off before driving. :x

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Faith
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:18 am 
A pastry chef and a sniper

Yeah, that's not fun. I was fighting a losing battle when I was clearing my car that morning. As soon as I had cleared off all the windows, snow was already starting to pile up again. It's going to be a long winter. My first winter too. Never had to deal with all this snow and ice in Texas.

Nancy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:30 am 
Persona Non Regatta

One trick I've read about is when you park for the night and snow is due, use a trash bag to cover the windshield and secure it by shutting the doorson the ends. In the morning, just remove the bag, and the snow and ice are gone with a nice clean windshield. They also sell covers along the same lines that have magnets to stay secured.
Oy, it's only October! Too early for this stuff! :hammer:

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:46 pm 
Boom King!

Faith wrote:
I was fighting a losing battle when I was clearing my car that morning. As soon as I had cleared off all the windows, snow was already starting to pile up again.
I'm reminded of the scene in Fargo where William Macy goes nuts clearing the ice from his windshield.

The local news channel broadcast from the Home Depot down the road from me this morning talking about shovels and snow blowers being almost sold out for the snow predicted tomorrow. Thus begins another winter season of massive overreaction to weather. :roll:

Nancy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:18 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

You're going to get this one first, SW. It's coming up the coast. They're calling it a "significant October winter storm. :?
This is one time I hope they're wrong. A friend from Amy's days in our theater group is getting married Saturday evening, smack in the middle of the snow "event". When did a snowstorm become a snow event??? :roll:

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:30 pm 
Boom King!

Around the same time that a lot of snow became a snowpocalypse?

Nancy wrote:
They're calling it a "significant October winter storm. :?
1-3 inches is signifcant?

LauraK
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:08 am 
Boom King!

No Sh1t!! I've been complaining about this for a number years now. I remember when I was a kid we'd get plenty of snow days each year, snow would drift up to our front door, the plows would be late or unable to keep up with the accumulation and people would be snowed in, we'd go around making money shoveling snow, and then build snowmen.....but that was what winter meant! Yes- there will be snow! But in recent years people have started losing their freaking minds over it. Forecasting early, talking as though we'd all be snowed in, causing people to make runs on shovels, salt, food, gas....and acting as though the next ice age is here! Only to awaken to about 3-4 inches...whoopdeedoo.

And I sit inside hoping for a huge storm that buries everyone so we can sit inside and watch movies and drink hot cocoa. :)

Nancy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:49 am 
Persona Non Regatta

Because they have more sophisticated equipment to track storms, they feel the need to warn about any flakes coming. In those olden days, they said snow, but now they give the accumulation if you live here, but there it might be sleet, and over here it'll be rain. Cripe!

I don't mind hunkering down and haveing one or two good storms, but now that I don't have a fireplace, I worry about losing power. :nails: Not this weekend, but in a big ol' "event". :?

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:48 pm 
Boom King!

Now that they are predicting low snow levels in my area they are focusing on the losing power issue. It's such a joke. I agree with Laura, we always had snow as a kid and I don't remember mad rushes to gas up the vehicles or stock the pantries full. I blame the media, as with all things. :P And um, how many times did we lose power in the past during snowstorms? Exactly zero.

Nancy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:03 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

When I first came back to RI and joined a comedy troupe, they always were making fun of the fact that once snow was predicted, before the first flake fell the bread and milk disappeared from the grocery shelves. :?

You're right, people have become easily panicked lemmings about these things. Sure, it's great to be prepared, but we're not stocking the fallout shelter, folks.

We'll probably grouse the first time the weather people underpredict the accumulation, though. :roll:

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

SheWolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:24 pm 
Boom King!

Well that was completely f**ked. Apparently I jinxed myself with my previous post coz I was without power for 24 hours which is the longest time I've ever been out but I had it easy coz I had heat and hot water. On the drive over to my aunt's house yesterday to charge my cell phone & MP3 player it looked like a freakin' tornado had hit the area. I've never seen so many downed trees in my life and all of them have their pretty autumn leaves on them. It was sad. One HUGE tree toppled near my house. The roots of which look bigger than my apartment building. There are downed power lines all over the place &trick or treating is being discouraged because of that as well as the fact that there are trees, branches and limbs all over in addition to the fact that there is still 5-6 inches of snow with chunky ice on top on most sidewalks. Thankfully the main roads are plowed well and fine. My aunt has no cable, tv, or internet, same for my dad. My mom has no heat, hot water or power of any kind, a bunch of small trees fell on her house (doesn't look like there is damage to the house though, thankfully) and the power is not expected to be restored to her area until Thursday at the earliest. I'm out in cow and corn country for work today and there is barely a trace of snow here, go figure.

How'd you do Nancy?

LauraK
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:44 pm 
Boom King!

I was looking on the internet and wow...so many trees down! You really did lose a lot of gorgeous ones...that's a shame. Stupid freaky weather.

I also thought we may have jinxed things.... :doh: :whistle: But glad it wasn't worse and that you had heat and hot water. But you must keep a bottle of Emergency Wine behind glass or something, lol....

Nancy, you're right! :) The weather folks are usually damned if they do and damned if they don't. I just hate when they overdo it. :D

Nancy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:45 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

SW!!!!! :goodman: My God! :doomed: So what is your Mom doing to stay warm? Even though it's supposed to warm up, it ain't warm enough to go without heat. :hrmpf:
Almost every sign of snow has disappeared, but it was in the 20s this morning, so it's nippy.
It sounds like you got harder with this storm than the hurricane. Luckily, the power stayed on here, but almost 2,000 are without it in various parts of the state with all the problems you spoke about. I'm really not liking this downed-trees-and-power-lines routine that's happening more and more frequently. Please stop this now! I refuse to go through this in January when it's minus 5 out. :hammer:

La-dy-ish! Yeah!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next