It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Flight of the Conchords movie rumors

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Flight of the Conchords movie rumors

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:17 pm

They've talked about it for years, and Bret recently cranked up the rumor mill again with his comments at The Muppets premiere (prompting HBO to deny it :lol: ), and now we have a few more comments from Rhys Darby. :)

Rhys Darby has got the gift of the gab
By Lydia Jenkin
7:00 AM Saturday Dec 17, 2011

...McKenzie has also hinted at a FOTC feature in interviews.

"Yeah, every couple of years those rumours seem to spark up," says Darby. "It's when one of us gets interviewed, generally, and it only takes a couple of words and all of a sudden it's big news. But all three of us have spoken and we're trying to connect at the moment. Jemaine's just called me actually, and I think next year we will try to start writing. I think making the Muppets movie has sort of inspired Bret to see that it is possible."

Source

Rhys Darby: Flight of the Conchords movie just a matter of 'finding time'
Wed, 21 Dec 2011 11:05a.m.
By 3 News online staff

Rhys Darby has further fuelled rumours that a Flight of the Conchords movie is in the works next year.

Speaking on George FM this morning, Darby, who plays band manager Murray on the hit HBO show, said work on the movie would likely start next year.

“I can say in all faith that we have connected, recently we’ve talked, and the boys do want to make one so it’s just a matter of finding time and I think next year pen will hit paper,” says Darby.

Last month while promoting his new project The Muppets, Conchord Bret McKenzie revealed in an interview he would love to resurrect the comedy on the big screen, saying, "We definitely want to make a Conchords film. Working on this big studio feature makes me excited about a large-scale Conchords movie with big musical numbers."

Darby, McKenzie and Jemaine Clement launched Flight of the Conchords on radio before heading to the small screen, where they became cult favourites.

All three New Zealanders have since landed many Hollywood roles in films such as Yes Man, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Despicable Me, Dinner For Schmucks, The Boat that Rocked, and Men In Black III.

Darby was on George FM promoting his latest stand-up DVD, It's Rhys Darby Night!, which is available now.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/Rhys-Darby-Fligh ... z1hBoTi6n7

It's so exciting, and it really sounds like a possibility in the nearish future! :yay: I wonder what they'll come up with? :writersblock: If Rhys is involved will they be revisiting the world of the HBO Bret and Jemaine, or do you think they'll go an entirely different route? New Conchords tunes? Oh man, the possibilities are intriguing.

Does anyone know if HBO has rights to "The Flight of the Conchords" or something? I guess I don't really understand why the press automatically assumes that their movie would have to be an HBO project?

Ha! I wonder just how old Bret and Jemaine have to get before they'll lose the title, "the boys". :lol:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Re: Flight of the Conchords movie rumors

Postby Great H » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:20 am

nonchalant obsession wrote:Ha! I wonder just how old Bret and Jemaine have to get before they'll lose the title, "the boys". :lol:
Never! :lol: They'll always be our 'boys'! :nod:
I reckon the movie stuff started out as nothing more than Bret making a joke, but it got reported seriously, and re-reported over and over till it's practically become a real project. Here's hoping! :pray:
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby mohumbhai mania » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:12 pm

They all did talk about making a Christmas special or something. But this might be better!
Too much time on too many hands - too many ladies, not enough mans

I am bike-cheese!
mohumbhai mania
Can Attack!

Postby Venus » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:18 pm

It's funny how each time Bret, Jemaine or Rhys hint at a movie, there's a huge media storm about it. :lol: It's great that they're all interested in making a movie though so I hope that they do find the time to start writing it next year (as well as tour!).
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Postby LauraK » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:54 pm

"...a large-scale Conchords movie with big musical numbers."

Yis, please. :pray:
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image