It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:32 am

2011 - 2012 Awards

Everything else you can poke a stick at. And then some.

Moderators: Nancy, Venus

2011 - 2012 Awards

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 am

Post info here about various awards they guys are up for, or to gripe about those they're not up for but should be!
Or to comment about other non-Conchordian nominees or snubs... you get the idea.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: 2011 - 2012 Awards

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:34 am

From nonch:

It can't hurt to hope, and I'm seeing quite a bit of grumbling in various publications about the snub...

BuzzSugar wrote:
No nominations for The Muppets? The movie would have rounded out best musical or comedy category nicely, since it is actually a musical, and a great one at that. More shocking is the fact that it's not up for any best original songs when it has so many great options like "Man or Muppet" and "Life's a Happy Song." Oscar, we're looking at you to make this right.

HITFIX wrote:
Oh, the Globes. Whether they get things right or wrong -- or both, as in this morning's list -- they never really disappoint. Those who enjoy brandishing pitchforks at the HFPA for their shameless star-whoring have plenty to work with here: Angelina Jolie nominated for Best Foreign Language Film! Madonna nominated for Best Original Song ahead of any of the Oscar-favored tunes from "The Muppets!" George Clooney breaking a Globes record with four individual nominations! And so on and so forth.

E online wrote:
2. The Muppets Got Big-Timed—and Robbed: Pity Kermit and company that the Hollywood Foreign Press, for once, decided to play it straight down the middle in the Best Motion Picture Comedy-Musical category. Every nominated film there is an awards-season contender in good standing; not a Tourist in the bunch. And while the critically acclaimed Muppets was no Tourist, either, its inclusion probably would've been viewed as one of those wacky Globe picks. In reality, it would've been one of the wisest Globe picks. As for The Muppets' exclusion from Original Song—a crime, plain and simple. There's no good explanation for either "Life's a Happy Song" or the Jason Segel-favored "Man or Muppet" going unnominated.

MTV wrote:
No Original Song Nominations for 'The Muppets'
You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who didn't walk out of "The Muppets" belting out "Man or Muppet" or whistling "Life's A Happy Song." In a fair and just world, Bret McKenzie's work on the film would have taken up three of the five slots, because aside from being catchy as hell, the songs made the film work as well as it did.

The New York Times wrote:
And in the category of comedy or musical, what happened to “The Muppets”? It’s both, and the Bagger, at least, considers Piggy and Kermit A-list stars. Perhaps the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, giver of the Globes, just didn’t get the joke of Bret McKenzie’s beautiful yet ridiculous songs.

Ranker wrote:
The Most Egregious 2012 Golden Globes Snubs. 1. The Muppets. This audience favorite was thought to have a pretty decent shot at a nomination for Best Motion Picture Comedy-Musical, but turned up empty handed. Not only that, but it didn't even get a nod in the Best Original Song category, downright criminal considering the bevy of memorable tunes from the film, written by "Flight of the Conchords" vet Bret McKenzie. If we don't get to see "Man or Muppet" on stage at the Oscars this year, it's all the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's fault.

Zap2it wrote:
...(But where oh where are the original songs from "The Muppets"?)
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:43 am

I was looking at the Globes Best Actor in a Drama category, which has perennial fan favorites:
George Clooney, (The Descendants)
Leo DiCaprio, (J Edgar)
Ryan Gosling, (The Ides Of March)
and Brad Pitt, (Moneyball)
as well as Michael Fassbender (Shame)

Now we know that also hot in the running for Oscar will be Michael Shannon and Gary Oldman who were snubbed, and that doesn't even count Jean Dujardin for The Artist, who was nominated in the Musical/Comedy Best Actor category. So there are eight very viable contenders for the Best Actor Oscar, not even counting four of the Globe nominees for Actor/Comedy/Musical.
I've only seen Moneyball and Midnight In Paris. The guy who played Ernest Hemingway (Corey Stoll, I think) totally stole the movie. Although they were fine, I don't think either Brad Pitt or Owen Wilson would win an Oscar, but the Foreign Press is such a different animal, you never know who they'll go with. Thoughts? :hrm:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:49 pm

From nonch:

39 Original Songs Vie for Oscar's 2011 Playlist

Beverly Hills, CA (December 19, 2011) – Thirty-nine songs from eligible feature-length motion pictures are in contention for nominations in the Original Song category for the 84th Academy Awards®, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced today.

The original songs, along with the motion picture in which each song is featured, are listed below in alphabetical order by film and song title:
•"The World I Knew" from "African Cats"
•"Lay Your Head Down" from "Albert Nobbs"
•"Star Spangled Man" from "Captain America: The First Avenger"
•"Collision of Worlds" from "Cars 2"
•"Dakkanaga Dugu Dugu" from "DAM999"
•"DAM999 Theme Song" from "DAM999"
•"Mujhe Chod Ke" from "DAM999"
•"Rainbird" from "Dirty Girl"
•"Keep On Walking" from "The First Grader"
•"Where the River Goes" from "Footloose"
•"Hello Hello" from "Gnomeo & Juliet"
•"Love Builds a Garden" from "Gnomeo & Juliet"
•"Bridge of Light" from "Happy Feet Two"
•"The Mighty Sven" from "Happy Feet Two"
•"Never Be Daunted" from "happythankyoumoreplease"
•"Hell and Back" from "Hell and Back Again"
•"The Living Proof" from "The Help"
•"Coeur Volant" from "Hugo"
•"It's How We Play" from "I Don't Know How She Does It"
•"When the Heart Dies" from "In the Land of Blood and Honey"
•"Ja Nao Estar" from "José and Pilar"
•"The Keeper" from "Machine Gun Preacher"
•"Life's a Happy Song" from "The Muppets"
•"Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets"
•"Pictures in My Head" from "The Muppets"
•"Summer Song" from "The Music Never Stopped"
•"Imaginary Friends" from "Olive"
•"Sparkling Day" from "One Day"
•"Taking You with Me" from "Our Idiot Brother"
•"The Greatest Song I Ever Heard" from "POM Wonderful Presents The Greatest Movie Ever Sold"
•"Hot Wings" from "Rio"
•"Let Me Take You to Rio" from "Rio"
•"Real in Rio" from "Rio"
•"Shelter" from "Take Shelter"
•"Gathering Stories" from "We Bought a Zoo"
•"Pop" from "White Irish Drinkers"
•"Think You Can Wait" from "Win Win"
•"The Backson Song" from "Winnie the Pooh"
•"So Long" from "Winnie the Pooh"

On Thursday, January 5, the Academy will screen clips featuring each song, in random order, for voting members of the Music Branch in Los Angeles. Following the screenings, members will determine the nominees by an averaged point system of voting. If no song receives an average score of 8.25 or more, there will be no nominees in the category. If only one song achieves that score, it and the song receiving the next highest score shall be the two nominees. If two or more songs (up to five) achieve that score, they shall be the nominees. A DVD copy of the song clips will be made available to those branch members who are unable to attend the screening and who request it for home viewing. A mail-in ballot will be provided.

Under Academy rules, a maximum of two songs may be nominated from any one film. If more than two songs from a film achieve a score of 8.25 or more, the two songs with the highest scores will be the nominees.

To be eligible, a song must consist of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film. A clearly audible, intelligible, substantive rendition of both lyric and melody must be used in the body of the film or as the first music cue in the end credits.

The 84th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 24, 2012, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2011 will be presented on Sunday, February 26, 2012, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar® presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries worldwide.

Go Muppets!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Here's a link for possible technical and artistic Oscars (Including Best Song predictions), thanks to Laura:
http://www.indiewire.com/article/2012-o ... categories

Best Original Song
1. "Pictures in My Head" (The Muppets)
2. "Life's a Happy Song" (The Muppets)
3. "Lay Your Head Down" (Albert Nobbs)
4. "The Living Proof" (The Help)
5. "Coeur Volant" (Hugo)
6. "Star Spangled Man" (Captain America)
7. "Hello Hello" (Gnomeo & Juliet)
8. "Where The River Goes" (Footloose)
9. "Man or Muppet" (The Muppets)
10. "Gathering Stories" (We Bought a Zoo)
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby nonchalant obsession » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:20 pm

Heehee, I saw a quote on one of the Muppet sites that said, "The Golden Globes have been cancelled due to a lack of Muppetiness." :roll2:

Anyway...a little blurb about Bret attending that Pre Golden Globe dinner party the other night;

During the evening, a few of the kids occasionally ducked outside for cigarettes, including Elisabeth Moss, who'd come with her mom. Asked what she'd be wearing to the Globes, the Mad Men star, looking vintage va-va-va-voom in a formfitting white Cushnie et Ochs dress, said, "Oh, I won't be going to the Globes this year—we weren't eligible because we skipped a season." Instead, the actress will be packing for her upcoming five-month stint in New Zealand, where she'll be making a film with director Jane Campion.

Had Moss hung around a few minutes later, she could have collected some travel tips from Flight of the Conchords' Bret McKenzie. In town to accept a Critics' Choice Award for his songwriting work on The Muppets, McKenzie compared notes with Rashida Jones, who plays a hard-nosed TV exec in the film. "I manhandled Kermit!" laughed the actress.

As the dinner plates were exchanged for tequila shots, Singer table-hopped to ensure all were enjoying themselves. Stopping at McKenzie's booth, she inquired if the music was too loud, to which the comedian replied, "No—it's perfect."

Full article here

Interesting that he ended up at a GG party. I wonder why? I'll be watching the Globes, though I'll flip over to watch Jemaine's bit of Napoleon Dynamite. :)
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby nonchalant obsession » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:08 am

Looks like Bret attended a GG afterparty as well. This was tweeted by Judd Apatow. :)

Hey @maudeapatow ! Deal with this! Get jealous much?!

Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 am

:love:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby nonchalant obsession » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:45 pm

I went to see The Artist over the weekend and saw the trailer for Albert Nobbs. I think the song from that movie, "Lay your Head Down" is so beautiful. If it's used as effectively in the movie itself as it is in the trailer then it may be a serious contender for best song at the Oscars. http://youtu.be/RZEvA_dmHig Sinead has had a rough year so far though. I wonder if she would perform if the song is nominated? And oh man, I'll bet Elton John is itching for a win (and wouldn't we all love to see him perform?) though even if he snags the Oscar, Madonna can still say they're 'even' since her song was ineligable for this race and she took the GG. :fence: Don't you love a good catfight? :lol:

I want to get to all the movies nominated in the top categories this year. Has anyone seen any of the front runners?
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:14 pm

I've seen Midnight in Paris and Moneyball. I really liked them both. From Midnight in Paris, Corey Stoll stood out. (He wore a sexy toupee and played Ernest Hemingway :P )

Brad Pitt of course was great. The big surprise was Jonah Hill. I think he might nab a nom (nab a nom? Sounds like a Variety headline) His phone scene is outstanding, very well played.

Wednesday is Cheapy Seniors Day, so if I can fit it into my schedule, I plan to see both The Descendents and The Artist.

Nonch, if the song from Albert Nobbs gets nominated, I'd bet they'd have Glenn Close sing it, since she wrote the lyrics and she started out in Broadway musicals. It would make for good tv to have her sing after not being at an Oscar show for such a long time.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:24 pm

It is a beautiful song. Now it all depends on what mood the Academy members are in when they vote - if they want to be sad and moody, this one will get it. If they want to smile, Bret will get it. I just keep thinking with the state of affairs in our country right now, Bret's song gives the country a reason to smile, and we NEED that right now.

Til tomorrow...... (wish we had a cross-your-fingers emoticon!) :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:27 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote:I went to see The Artist over the weekend and saw the trailer for Albert Nobbs. I think the song from that movie, "Lay your Head Down" is so beautiful. If it's used as effectively in the movie itself as it is in the trailer then it may be a serious contender for best song at the Oscars. http://youtu.be/RZEvA_dmHig Sinead has had a rough year so far though. I wonder if she would perform if the song is nominated? And oh man, I'll bet Elton John is itching for a win (and wouldn't we all love to see him perform?) though even if he snags the Oscar, Madonna can still say they're 'even' since her song was ineligable for this race and she took the GG. :fence: Don't you love a good catfight? :lol:

I want to get to all the movies nominated in the top categories this year. Has anyone seen any of the front runners?

I've seen War Horse, The Descendants, The Help, Drive, Midnight in Paris, The Tree of Life, The Guard (hilarious), Beginners, Crazy Stupid Love. I may be forgetting a few, been trying to keep up.

Really loved all of them. War Horse was amazing! The Descendants has a special place in my heart, it is a really good movie & it takes place on my island, Kauai. I immediately recognized so many places (Tahiti Nui :heart:) . I've downloaded the soundtrack, it's great.

This weekend will see Girl With the Dragon Tatto & Ides of March &/or Iron Lady.

Nonch, how did you like The Artist? It's getting such rave reviews.
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:45 pm

My daughter saw it and raved.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 pm

:nails:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

watching live stream.... 3 minute to air warning was just given. I am so excited and nervous. Anticipation. :whistle: :nails: :waiting:
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Next

Return to General