It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:01 am

General 2012 Tour Discussion Thread

All the news, info and gossip for the AusKiwi 2012 Tour

Moderators: Nancy, Venus

Re: General 2012 Tour Discussion Thread

Postby Venus » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Not giving too much away but quite interesting about the size of the venues they might perform in.

Flight of the Conchords plan taking shape
7:00 AM Thursday Mar 8, 2012

It will be a triumphant arena-sized return to the live stage for Flight of the Conchords when they tour New Zealand in the middle of the year.

Though details are still under wraps, the duo of Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement are tipped to play Vector Arena in Auckland, and at least one other show in Wellington.

It's been rumoured the Hollywood stars would be playing a string of small venues on the tour, but given their popularity a large scale venue such as the 12,500 capacity Vector is more likely.

Though the tour promoter did not want to reveal any details until the official announcement in a few weeks, an industry insider said considering the number of people who wanted to see them an arena show would be on the cards.

"They don't have the time to play the Town Hall in Te Kuiti, as much as they'd quite like to I'm sure," he said.

However, he said the promoter had to consider the spread of the audience, especially in their "hometown" of Wellington, and they can't just play a show in Auckland.

"There is no question that, from a New Zealand perspective, Flight of the Conchords appeal to everyone, so it's just a case of getting the right balance."

The pair's schedule is hectic this year with Clement starring in en in Black III as well as the animated TV series Napoleon Dynamite, and McKenzie in a number of films including The Hobbit and as Nige in local comedy Two Little Boys. Two Little Boys was due to come out this month but has been bumped until the end of the year, possibly to make room in his schedule for the tour.

McKenzie, who won best original song for Muppets song Man or Muppet at the Oscars last month, recently revealed plans for the tour to Billboard magazine.

"We're about to tour Australia and New Zealand. We haven't toured there in years," he said.

The last time they played here was a fundraiser in March, 2009, for Masterton's Makoura College, Clement's former high school. The 2000 tickets sold out in 90 minutes.

Before that they performed a free show in February, 2008, at the Aro St Video shop in Wellington to celebrate winning the best comedy album Grammy for The Distant Future.

In 2010, off the back of the success of their TV series, the Conchords played the 17,000-capacity Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles, and in Europe the pair had to add extra dates in both London and Manchester, including a sell-out show at the 12,500 capacity Wembley Arena.

-TimeOut

Source
For the latest Bret & Jemaine related news updates:
'Like' What The Folk! on Facebook
&
Follow What The Folk! on Twitter
Venus
She did indeed have the time of her life

Re: General 2012 Tour Discussion Thread

Postby Venus » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Jemaine talking a little bit about the upcoming tour:

During a chat this week, Clement revealed he has no doubt that his award winning partner Bret McKenzie will pull the Oscar card on him during Conchords practice which commences this week in their native New Zealand...

However all those worried about the future of New Zealand’s fourth most popular guitar based, digi-bongo, acapella-rap-funk-comedy duo can relax, as Bret and Jemaine plan to return to the stage in 2012. “We’re doing some gigs soon,” Jemaine told IReviewToo, “we’re going on tour in New Zealand and Australia. We have a few things that we’ve been talking about doing, we’ve been throwing around some movie ideas and we’re going to write a few new songs and maybe we’ll play them at our next shows if we get them ready enough,” he revealed. “Gigging with Bret is really fun,” added Jemaine, “I enjoy gigs the most.” Jemaine can next be seen as British biker baddie Boris in Barry Sonnenfeld’s blockbuster threequel Men in Black 3 released on May 25th.

Source
&
Venus

Tour Dates!

Postby Venus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:31 am

NZ dates!:

Flight of the Concords announce June NZ tour
Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:00

Flight of the Concords have announced they'll be touring NZ in June, including a show at the Auckland Town Hall on Saturday June 16.

The musical comedy duo - Bret McKenzie and Jermaine Clement - have sold out tours of the US and Europe, and McKenzie recently scored an Oscar for Best Original Song with Man or Muppet from The Muppets movie.

Their live show has graced the Hollywood Bowl, New York's Radio City Music Hall and London's Wembley Arena but down under it will will be the likes of Founders Theatre Hamilton and the Hawke's Bay Opera House, with two shows for their old home town Wellington, at the Michael Fowler Centre on June 19-20.

Some rather strict ticket sale procedures are in place for the event, which organisers say are to guard against scalping.

Tickets go on sale through Visa presale on Tuesday March 20 at noon-5pm.

The first part of the general sale is on Friday March 20 8am - in person at the box office - two tickets max. 300 of those seats are prime seats. The Auckland location for the box office is The Edge, Level 3, Aotea Centre.

Online and phones sales the begin at midday, 4 tickets max. Tickets are from $55-$79.

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS - HOME TOUR JUNE
Wed 13 - Hawkes Bay Opera House, HASTINGS / 0800-TICKET
Thurs 14 - Founders Theatre, HAMILTON ticketek.co.nz / 0800-TICKET
Sat 16 - Town Hall, AUCKLAND / 0800-BUY TICKETS
Sun 17 - TSB Showplace, NEW PLYMOUTH ticketmaster.co.nz / 0800-111-999
Tues 19 - Michael Fowler Centre, WELLINGTON ticketek.co.nz / 0800-TICKET
Wed 20 - Michael Fowler Centre, WELLINGTON ticketek.co.nz / 0800-TICKET
Sat 23 - Regent Theatre, DUNEDIN ticketmaster.co.nz 0800 224 224
Sun 24 - Events Centre, QUEENSTOWN ticketek.co.nz / 0800-TICKET
Wed 27 - Trafalgar Centre, NELSON everyman.co.nz / 03-548-3083
CHRISTCHURCH show will be announced shortly

Source

Australia tour dates TBA

ETA: 3 more dates have been announced! (Christchurch & extra dates in Auckland and Wellington):

Due to unprecedented demand we have added Sunday, 1st July at Vector Arena – Auckland to the NZ tour. We are also proud to announce special guest Arj Barker will be joining the tour.

Sunday, 1st July – Vector Arena Auckland
Visa Pre-sale Thursday 29 March 9am visaentertainment.co.nz
Ticketmaster Pre-Sale Friday 30 March 9am
Public On-Sale Saturday 31 March 9am *by application in person at Vector Box Office / Internet On-Sale 1pm – 4 ticket limit per person

Just added:

21/6 Michael Fowlers Centre, Wellington

26/6 CBS Arena, Christchurch

Presale and ticketing info available on the Tour Page

Source

ETA: 2nd Vector Arena, Auckland show has been announced!
March 28th

Just added:

29/6 Auckland – Vector Arena
Public On-Sale Saturday 31 March 9am *by application in person at Vector Box Office
Internet On-Sale 1pm

Source

ETA: Australia tour dates have been announced! (thanks for the heads up, nonch):

Thu 5 July
Sydney Opera House NSW - All Ages
http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com (02) 9250 7777

Sat 7 July
Brisbane Entertainment Centre Qld - All Ages
http://www.ticketek.com.au 132 849

Tue 10 July
Newcastle Entertainment Centre NSW - All Ages

Wed 11 July
WIN Entertainment Centre, Wollongong NSW - All Ages

Fri 13 July
Adelaide Entertainment Centre SA - All Ages

Sat 14 July
The Plenary, Melbourne VIC - All Ages
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au 136 100

Wed 18 July
Challenge Stadium, Perth WA - All Ages
http://www.ticketmaster.com.au 136 100

Tickets

Frontier Members pre-sale via http://www.frontiertouring.com/fotc 4pm (AEST) Thu 12 April to 4pm (AEST) Fri 13 April.

General public on sale from 9am local time, Tuesday 17 April.

For more, check out the Flight of the Conchords' official site, Facebook page and Twitter feed.
&
Venus

Re: NZ Tour Dates!

Postby sktomeg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:00 am

Hi all, How fantastic this is to be able to see these two perform. Are they going to tour Australia?
thanks in advance,
Simon
sktomeg
New arrival

Re: Tour Dates!

Postby Venus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 am

Yep, they will be touring Australia too! Just waiting until the Aus dates are announced as well. :)
&
Venus

Postby sktomeg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks so much for that info, will you be showing the dates in here?.
and thanks again

Simon
sktomeg
New arrival

Postby Venus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:23 am

Yeah, as soon as myself or anyone else finds out, they can post the dates in this thread. Exciting! :D
&
Venus

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Venus wrote:NZ dates!:

Tickets go on sale through Visa presale on Tuesday March 20 at noon-5pm.

The first part of the general sale is on Friday March 20 8am - in person at the box office - two tickets max. 300 of those seats are prime seats. The Auckland location for the box office is The Edge, Level 3, Aotea Centre.

Online and phones sales the begin at midday, 4 tickets max. Tickets are from $55-$79.

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS - HOME TOUR JUNE
Wed 13 - Hawkes Bay Opera House, HASTINGS / 0800-TICKET
Thurs 14 - Founders Theatre, HAMILTON ticketek.co.nz / 0800-TICKET
Sat 16 - Town Hall, AUCKLAND / 0800-BUY TICKETS
Sun 17 - TSB Showplace, NEW PLYMOUTH ticketmaster.co.nz / 0800-111-999
Tues 19 - Michael Fowler Centre, WELLINGTON ticketek.co.nz / 0800-TICKET
Wed 20 - Michael Fowler Centre, WELLINGTON ticketek.co.nz / 0800-TICKET
Sat 23 - Regent Theatre, DUNEDIN ticketmaster.co.nz 0800 224 224
Sun 24 - Events Centre, QUEENSTOWN ticketek.co.nz / 0800-TICKET
Wed 27 - Trafalgar Centre, NELSON everyman.co.nz / 03-548-3083

This was from The Aucklander which was just working 5 minutes ago but the link appears not to be working for me now for some reason. Anyway, hopefully things will be confirmed soon. :)

Wow, look at these venues :

http://www.hawkesbayoperahouse.co.nz/theatre-home.html(Rhys is playing this venue also)

http://www.hamiltontheatres.co.nz/page/pageid/2145839978/Founders%20Theatre%20Facilities#Theatre-Details

http://www.the-edge.co.nz/aucklandtownhall.aspx

http://www.newplymouthnz.com/Events/EventVenues/TSBShowplace.htm

http://pwv.co.nz/our-venues/michael-fowler-centre

ack, sorry that's all I can get in before I have to dash off to work. Will add the others later on in the day.

Woohoo. Tour! Pics! Music! Beautiful faces & places! :cheer: :cheer: It's quite exciting!
"they're my celebrities, they're what I care about"
4everconchordsfan
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm

:yay: :woohoo: :yay:

Another article - same info but with an added quote from Bret.

Flight of the Conchords announce NZ tour
00:01 Thu Mar 15 2012 by AAP

Kiwis will at last get the chance to see musical comedy duo Flight of the Conchords perform on home soil.

Oscar-winner Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement will hit the road in June on a 10-date tour of New Zealand.

"It's going to be great to play New Zealand again. I can't wait to perform where people can understand our accents," McKenzie said.

The tour comes after McKenzie last month won the Oscar for Best Original Song for Man or Muppet, written for the film The Muppets.

In 2008, Flight of the Conchords won the Grammy for Best Comedy Album for their EP, The Distant Future. That same year the pair was nominated for four Emmy awards.

Following the success of the television series Flight of the Conchords, which aired on US television network HBO for two seasons, the pair did sell-out tours in the US and Europe.

Tickets for the New Zealand tour go on sale on Friday, March 23.

Dates:

*Wednesday, June 13 - Hawkes Bay Opera House, Hastings.

*Thursday, June 14 - Founders Theatre, Hamilton.

*Saturday, June 16 - Town Hall, Auckland.

*Sunday, June 17 - TSB Showplace, New Plymouth.

*Tuesday, June 19 - Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington.

*Wednesday, June 20 - Michael Fowler Centre, Wellington.

*Saturday, June 23 - Regent Theatre, Dunedin.

*Sunday, June 24 - Events Centre, Queenstown.

*Wednesday, June 27 - Trafalgar Centre, Nelson.

*A Christchurch show will be announced shortly.

Source

Crikey, flight prices are high. :o I was hoping they'd be a bit lower since it's winter down under. Blast! and just when Boris/MIB3 had really put me in the mood for time travel too. Nothing quite like flying into the future and arriving home before I actually leave.

Thanks for the links, 4ever. I'm slowing working my way through the list. Seating for 981 in Hastings up to 2209 in Wellington. Nice. 8) So far they all seem to be reserved seating. I HATE reserved seating. Effing scalpers always screw things up. :x
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:20 pm

nonchalant obsession wrote::yay: :woohoo: :yay:

Crikey, flight prices are high. :o I was hoping they'd be a bit lower since it's winter down under. Blast! and just when Boris/MIB3 had really put me in the mood for time travel too. Nothing quite like flying into the future and arriving home before I actually leave.

Thanks for the links, 4ever. I'm slowing working my way through the list. Seating for 981 in Hastings up to 2209 in Wellington. Nice. 8) So far they all seem to be reserved seating. I HATE reserved seating. Effing scalpers always screw things up. :x

I'm sooo excited for ya Nonch. I found another website for TSB showplace, it's http://tsbshowplace.co.nz/home/.

Here is the link for Dunedin http://www.regenttheatre.co.nz/

It looks like there is quite a mix of small & huge venues. The tickets go on sale on my birthday. :clap: :D

Best luck!
Last edited by 4everconchordsfan on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4everconchordsfan

Postby SheWolf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm

It's all on you Great H. No pressure or anything. Do you have a good camera? :P
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:42 pm

If these articles are correct, there really aren't any huge venues booked so far. For example instead of hitting the Vector Arena in Auckland with it's seating for 12,500, they are at the Hawkes Bay Opera House which only seats 981. If they sold out Makoura (with seating for 2000) in 90 minutes, I can only imagine how fast these shows will sell out. :nails:
Last edited by nonchalant obsession on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby 4everconchordsfan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:43 pm

SW, now that you have the NZ dates are you going to plan to go too? :pray:

Nonch, *sending good vibes* for the best tickets!
4everconchordsfan

Postby nonchalant obsession » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:47 pm

SheWolf wrote:It's all on you Great H. No pressure or anything. Do you have a good camera? :P

I'd be willing to send mine over if you don't. :) Just because I'm not willing to pay those prices, doesn't mean my camera shouldn't have a bit of fun. :wink:
Image..Image..Image
nonchalant obsession

Postby LauraK » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Hoping a few WTFers get to go aside from Great H, who is totally going and plans to document it all and get pics of herself with arms around both guys, right?! :D ;) *Fingers crossed for you!*
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

PreviousNext

Return to New Zealand & Australia 2012 Tour