What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:42 am

All times are UTC

YisBot
 Post subject: FOTC song used in The Pirates! Band of Misfits
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:30 am 
Keeping it funky

I just found this article talking about how a Flight of the Conchords song is on the soundtrack for a claymation move coming out at the end of April!!
Quote:
CS: You mentioned earlier that the Pirates have a sort of punk rock aesthetic and that there's also a song by Flight of the Conchords. Is that a new song written specifically for the film?
Lord: No, it's not. It's one from one of their albums. But it's funny, the punk rock thing. It was never planned. It just happened and it seemed to work. It fits with the band of misfits. Their attitude to life and that kind of chaotic aproxima, garage band, make it up as you go along.

Source

I wonder what song they are using from their albums?? I wanna say Mermaids but I don't think that was ever included on an album! I couldn't find any further info when I searched around the internet unfortunately.

Nancy
 Post subject: Re: FOTC song used in The Pirates! Band of Misfits
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:17 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

Mermaids is on their Folk The World album/cd - that's where my sig is from! :lol:

It's good to hear that movie makers are using their wonderful library of songs. :D

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:35 am 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Maybe Petrov? :lol:

I hope they can arrange for Robert and Sheepy to make a guest appearance. ;)

nonchalant obsession
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:01 pm 
WTF!'s Biggest Blasphemer. Apparently.

Wow, I love the cast. And the fact that it's a stop motion/claymation project makes it somehow a nice fit for a FoTC song cameo.

I watched this little featurette, and I have to wonder if people can really appreciate the work that goes into this type of movie. 18 months? :o It would be so cool if someday Guy Capper and Jemaine have a set like that for Robert & Sheepy's world.

This article from The Huffington Post mentions that the song they're using from the Conchords catalog is, "I'm not Crying." :lol:

Quote:
Visually, the film was full of the slapstick humour championed by our dear little ones, but the script was definitely written 70/30 in the adult's favour; even the soundtrack boasted a medley of rock songs from generations past, not to mention a little nod to the quirky musical styling of the Flight of The Conchords track I'm Not Crying. Maybe the lyrics, ''I'm not weeping because you won't be here to hold my hand, for your information there's an inflammation in my tear gland', weren't a product of Gideon Defoe's pen, but it still shows how directors Peter Lord and Jeff Newitt are diversifying the genre with these kinds of niche comedy elements. The fact that FOTC co-writer Bret McKenzie recently won an Oscar for his work in The Muppets highlights just how much the kiddie landscape is evolving.

Nancy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:17 pm 
Persona Non Regatta

I love Wallace and Gromit! We first saw Grand Day Out and Creature Comforts at an animated film festival in LA, and fell in love with Nick Park. When he accepted his Oscar for Creature Comforts, he set his bow tie spinning! :rolls:

No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!

mockingbird
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:42 am 
Thinks it's hot the way he looks left a lot

Nancy wrote:
When he accepted his Oscar for Creature Comforts, he set his bow tie spinning! :rolls:

Nice! :lol:

YisBot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:23 am 
Keeping it funky

I'm not crying!! One of my faves! Good find nonch!!

Venus
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:28 pm 
She did indeed have the time of her life

The director talks about the inclusion of I'm Not Crying in the film:

Quote:
One of my favorite parts of the movie is a song from this band called Flight of the Conchords. I’m just curious how you went about getting that and what their reaction to being approached for this.

The interesting thing is that this book, and this screenplay’s written by a guy named Gideon Defoe. He’s a young Englishman… I bet he’s about the same age as the Flight of the Conchords. They just share a sense of comedy. Just coincidentally. They didn’t know each other at all. They have a very similar sense of comedy. I was a big fan. I loved their show. Such a funny act they had. So, two things. One is that we approached them to write the title song. Never actually happened, unfortunately. We couldn’t get it right. We tried. We tried many times; couldn’t get it right. But we love their music. It’s hard to remember, but somebody went through their back catalog of music and found this song and put it in there, just in the early days.

Temp music.

Yeah, temp music. When it was all in drawings. Temp music, that’s right. Everyone just loved it. ‘That’s so charming. Well, we’ll stick with that.’ And we did, through thick and thin. Often in animated movies, you’ve got so long to make the movie that there’s a great danger that you undo good stuff. You have a great idea and everyone goes ‘Hahaha. That is a brilliant idea.’ Then you live with it for two years and at the end of two years you think, ‘That’s a crappy idea.’ [All laughs] So you have to say, ‘No, no, wait, we all loved that one. Have faith.’ So we stuck with it.

It’s funny, actually, because then we ended up with a music supervisor, who’s a guy basically who’s job is to offer up potential tunes and he offered up some straight sad songs, and they worked… of course they worked, but it was wrong for the film. So I’m so happy to have this witty sad song. There’s some great stuff in there. There’s The Clash in there and there’s also a song that I chose, in particular, that nobody notices. But it’s some crazy old coot, sitting on his front porch somewhere in the mountains in American in the 1920s playing a guitar and singing ‘I’m sailing on the ocean.’ It sounds like a million years old. Makes me laugh. So we had fun with the music.

Source

It's a shame the title song didn't work out but it sounds like I'm Not Crying was a perfect fit. :)

Follow What The Folk! on Twitter

YisBot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:36 pm 
Keeping it funky

Venus wrote:
One of my favorite parts of the movie is a song from this band called Flight of the Conchords. I’m just curious how you went about getting that and what their reaction to being approached for this.

It sounds like the interviewer has never even heard of fotc! "this band"....ha!
But it really is too bad that they couldn't get an original song for this movie, I've been dying to hear new stuff!