It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Flight of the Conchords Movie Fan-made Plot

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Flight of the Conchords Movie Fan-made Plot

Postby Cameron J. Kenworthy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:29 am

Hey guys, new to the forum, but a massive FoTC fan just like the rest of you so I'm sure I'm not to out of place :wink:

I know Bret and Jemaine have been tossing around the idea of a film for a while now and I was wondering what would, if you guys could, you make the story be about? Or you can help me out on my current working Fan plot as detailed below.

There are two main ways to approach this film, you could either encompass all of the events of the series in a kind of synopsis film, or you could return to the events that follow the end of the second season where they go back to NZ. I think that the latter of those two would be best, especially since the story arc of every episode was for the most part self containing, and not really conducive to any kind of rising action/climax/falling action/conclusion formula that really makes most movies. Of course, the FoTC writers could probably make it work anyways.

My Fan Plot
The film opens with the play "Born To Folk" starting, the same play that Murray wrote in the last episode of the series. Since the trio left the states the script got picked up and made into an actual high budget broadway play that really takes off.

"Born To Folk" skips around on screen, chronologically detailing the events of the first two seasons and thereby introducing audiences who had not seen the HBO show to the characters and scenarios that made FoTC so special. The opening sequence would have to take several minutes to establish enough backstory that you can fully comprehend the major events of the TV series. So I'm thinking all the "how they came to the US in the first place" and "Murray's striking it big as a producer" story pieces get elaborated on during the performance, which as I would remind you is a play taking place in the film. Then Murray loses the producer gig and goes back to the consulate, the guys play out season 2 (just some funny parts like Jemaine being a prostitute and Bret being in a gang) all the way to the final episode where, going meta, Murray explains to Jemaine and Bret that they are going to make a musical and make it big on Broadway, the play ends just like in the TV series with Jemaine and Bret celebrating having actually made it big, and as the two actors stand on stage with their hands in the air it suddenly cuts to a New Zealand sheep farm with our duo shepherding the sheep around. The title drops in letters on the screen "Flight of the Conchords" above the New Zealand pastures as Bret and Jemaine walk with their canes off into the distance.

Cut back to Bret and Jemaine going into town, they go to a bar and see Murray, who sees them and frantically runs over to greet them. Murray informs them that the prime minister wants to talk to them as they have become a sort of local heroes. Confused, Bret and Jemaine inquire as to why they are famous and then Murray tells them about the play on Broadway in the states about them, of course by this time the play had been on for a year or so and the news is just reaching New Zealand, as is a recurring joke throughout the TV series. So the duo set of for Wellington (the capital) and meet the PM and talk about how to capitalize on their fame in the states.

I'm not sure exactly how or why they go to the states, perhaps to make it as a band again only this time with some recognition, but you guys can help me fill in that part later.

So anyways, the Bret and Jemaine are in New York where they find Dave who tells them that Mel took the script for the play that Murray wrote after they were all deported and got it produced on Broadway.

The guys go to meet Mel (at the Tony Awards maybe?)... and that's all the farther I've gotten.

If you guys can help me along and add/change stuff or criticize please do so :D
Cameron J. Kenworthy
New arrival

Re: Flight of the Conchords Movie Fan-made Plot

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:42 am

Hi Cameron! Welcome! :wave:
Feel free to tell us a bit about yourself here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4&start=0

It's a bit late to look at the whole plot you've set forth, but when I have a chance to check it out, I'll give you more feedback. Good for you, what an undertaking!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Great H » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:59 am

Firstly, Hi Cameron! :wave:
and
:group:

As Nancy said, pop on over to our official introduction thread and say hello - tell us a bit about yourself!

I've had a quick read over your plot and I'm impressed - you've really thought about that! :D
I like the idea that their play gets picked up and made into an actual high-budget broadway play, or film within a film maybe, with them unawares. That seems very Conchordian! :lol:

The third option for a film you didn't mention would be just to have it as a kind of extended stand-alone episode - but I guess there'd still need to be some kind of introductory 'who the heck are these guys' bit. But then, remembering back to the episode 1 series 1, I don't think we ever got much of that but rather were just kind of thrust into their world. Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while (*note to self* rewatch series...) If they did choose that route it'd be cool if they threw in random unexplained references to things that happened in the TV series for those 'in the know' to spot. That could be verbal, or just visual in-jokes (they are so good at those!) - I want to see lots of goldfish around the apartment! Also a big tub of hair gel on the table and definitely Bret's (real life) Oscar sitting somewhere on a shelf...
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Heh, heh, GH, heh, heh. :rolls:

You definitely have taken the time to think out possibilities, Cameron. I like GH's idea of having different things for series afficionados to spot around the apartment. When I think of tv shows that have worked as movies, the first Sex and the City movie comes to mind. I don't think a lot of time was spent on establishing what went on during all those years of the series. I'm sure there are other movies from tv shows that might be better examples, but that's one I used to watch, and the first movie was relatively good as a show resolution.

I really like the show becoming a big hit on Broadway. That show on the final episode was hilarious, because it really showed what some bad off-broadway musicals are like. Maybe a down-on-his-luck famous director came upon it and made it a hit, and revived his career as well. (a perfect cameo for Tommy Tune?) :dunno:

Anyway, keep on throwing out ideas, like lasagna on the wall,and see what sticks. :lol:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby LauraK » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:04 am

Hi Cameron- Welcome! :wave:

I like your idea! :) I think it'd be fun to see Mel as a semi-famous script-writer, having taken credit for what Murray wrote, and now reaping some unexpected karmic benefits. :horny: I see her constantly trying to avoid a stalker-y male fan who is completely unattractive and creepy to her but who is in fan-boy love/lust with her. :lol:

Murray is furious with her plagiarizing his script and sues her. He, Bret, and Jemaine make the rounds on some talk shows with typically awkward results, Murray makes changes to the Broadway show which ruins the whole thing and in the end, they're practically penniless and back to square one. :)

It's fun to speculate but I can't wait for them to make a movie and will be happy no matter what they choose to film!
ImageImage
Friends are the family you choose for yourself.Image
LauraK
Boom King!

Postby Cameron J. Kenworthy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:41 am

[Reveal] Spoiler: More of my plot ideas
I was thinking if the guys all came to the states to try and capitalize on the play the Murray would have to sort of battle to gain the rights as the writer or whatnot, which would either be awkward or hilarious if he had to battle Mel for control of the duo's life story. Great H is right in that the first season did kind of just thrust you into the setting of the guys in New York, but I feel it would be more fitting of a film to go back to some sort of roots of Bret and Jemaine, also in Murray's play it did introduce them as shepherds in New Zealand first so it would be a bit of continuity for the opening of the Broadway show to do the same.

What I was thinking would be really funny though is if Bret and Jemaine somehow launched their band into stardom and then had to do their first concert in Australia :rolls:
There could be a whole sequence where they are alone on the streets of Sydney, Canberra or whatnot and had to sneak from the airport to the concert hall, then it turns out the Australians are their biggest fans or something. While the fact that Australians were terrible people in the show was funny, I think there would have to be some redeeming plot point since you can't really just criticize the whole country in a film and not at any time give some kind of plug that they aren't actually a nation full of bastards ;)

Anyways, so Bret and Jemaine are playing the concert and the crowd is going wild and then Bret jumps in and crowd surfs, afterwards there is some limo ride out of the concert hall with Bret and Jemaine and a bunch of Australian lasses in some kind of party, showing that they grew comfortable with the Australians and are also having a wild fun time. Then as some sort of last jab, Bret and Jemaine are getting on the plane to depart from Austrailia and Jemaine goes, "Well I guess the Aussies weren't so bad (something to this effect)" and then Brett goes "No, actually after I got done crowd surfing my wallet was gone" :lol:

Of course all of this would depend on if the band was suddenly not terrible like it was in the show (terrible most of the time), which was honestly kind of the whole joke in the first place. How do you guys think they could pull off having the band "Become" not bad during some kind of exposition or rising action, as if perhaps the Bret and Jemaine get some kind of epiphany or whatnot and they start to break out of their folksy stuff into a mainstream style. It's just that obviously they can't be up on the stage kind of generally sucking and expect us to believe everyone is going crazy over them as a band, although that episode with the hair gel totally made me a believer ;)

I really like the idea of a nobody director making it big with Murray's script, then he kind of becomes the evil corporate guy and tries to take advantage of the duo by managing their band. Murray meanwhile could be fighting with Mel over the rights to the script (even though neither of them made any money since the director guy rips Mel off or something). Suddenly Murray realized the guys have left him and are being managed by the director of the Broadway show, so he and Mel team up to get them back.

Also I too think it would be uproarious if they included little allusions to all of their past exploits in the show, of course you couldn't really point them out because suddenly a large part of the audience who came to see a great comedy and didn't see the original great TV show would miss out on the joke. But perhaps something like they're in a super market and bret walks into the isle Jemaine is in, and Jemaine has a jar of hair gel, sees bret, and then kind of hurriedly puts it back on the shelf and acts as if he weren't looking at it at all. Or if bret just walks past an artificial pond filled with goldfish in some building and stops to ponder at them for a sec; great little treats for the fans without confusing the virgin audience ;)
Cameron J. Kenworthy
New arrival

Postby Great H » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:03 am

Allusions! THAT's the word I was looking for! :nod: :doh:
Cameron J. Kenworthy wrote:...they're in a super market and bret walks into the isle Jemaine is in, and Jemaine has a jar of hair gel, sees bret, and then kind of hurriedly puts it back on the shelf and acts as if he weren't looking at it at all.
Haha! That's great. Love it! :lol:
Great H
Stop touching the monkeys

Postby Cameron J. Kenworthy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:04 am

Nancy wrote:When I think of tv shows that have worked as movies, the first Sex and the City movie comes to mind. I don't think a lot of time was spent on establishing what went on during all those years of the series.

That's a good point, but of course Sex and the City had like a bazillion seasons ;)
It would be a lot simpler since FoTC only had about 20 episodes.
Cameron J. Kenworthy
New arrival

Return to Flight of The Conchords