Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra

AKA as the Rhymenoscerous, The Video Kid, Figwit and is one gazillionth of The Wellington Ukulele Orchestra. Yuss him and maybe some invisible people also...

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra

Postby indigo_jones » Wed May 24, 2006 4:54 pm

If he's going to stay active in this, we might as well have a thread for it to post dates and any sightings, etc.

They're playing this Friday (May 26), for those of you in Wellington who might be able to go. *eyes beck*

Friday 26 May, open late until 11pm
Free entry

City Gallery keeps you warm on a wintry Friday night with the Late Night Sessions. Combining beautiful music, art, food and drinks, we give you the ultimate way to ease out of your week.

From 6pm, The Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra perform NZ music gems and a special selection of songs about creatures chosen especially for Patricia Piccinini: In Another Life.

From 7.30pm you can wander through the Patricia Piccinini and Michael Smither exhibitions to a lush and atmospheric soundtrack supplied by The Jewel School's Martin Kwok and Ben Stevens.

Nikau Gallery Café is also open late for after-work drinks and dinner, and you can check out the Michael Hirschfeld Gallery's latest exhibition Painted Faces in which five artists explore portraiture.

As always, if you can go, try and take pictures if at all possible and give us all a report so we can live vicariously! (Pictures of the skinny, longish-haired, mustachioed guy (fifth from the left in the back row), aka Age Prior, would be appreciated, as well. :wink: )
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Sherry » Wed May 24, 2006 6:49 pm

Good idea Ms Jones :) Methinks this thread will see some action over the months :)

I'll be updating Bret's section of the site over the coming weekend, and have already got a cool report from a recent gig. I'll be sure to add anything else on a regular basis.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby jm513 » Thu May 25, 2006 12:39 am

The idea of being able to go check out a free show on a Friday night with Bret and Age is just a bit too much for me to comprehend!! Bret is my screensaver at work - I have pics all over my desk and if I lived in NZ I could just go to a cool little gallery type place and catch a nifty free show with him in it. I just can't imagine being able to do that!! It's probably good for my marraige that I can't :lol: Not that anything would be reciprocated of course, but the drooling, googly eyed, tounge tied, 'oh my god what am I going to wear, I get to see BRET", pre-adolescent side of me that I would not be able to keep hidden, might take its toll on Mike's nerves :lol:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby Birday » Thu May 25, 2006 6:21 am

jm513 wrote:The idea of being able to go check out a free show on a Friday night with Bret and Age is just a bit too much for me to comprehend!! Bret is my screensaver at work - I have pics all over my desk and if I lived in NZ I could just go to a cool little gallery type place and catch a nifty free show with him in it. I just can't imagine being able to do that!! It's probably good for my marraige that I can't :lol: Not that anything would be reciprocated of course, but the drooling, googly eyed, tounge tied, 'oh my god what am I going to wear, I get to see BRET", pre-adolescent side of me that I would not be able to keep hidden, might take its toll on Mike's nerves :lol:

haha,you're not alone girlie :wink:

hell,if i had the chance to see Bret perform somewhere here....for FREE....infront of my own eyes....and not seated rows and rows away in a nosebleed section of some theatre,i'd be hardcore breakdancing for joy! :shock: 8) :lol:

lucky NZ'ers i say...lucky :cry: hehehe
Birday
Giving the paper to the people

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:49 am

There are some pics up at flickr of the library gig that the WIUO did recently.

Bret!

Age! :wink: (He's the one in the brown shirt with the NT/TN shirt on the far left in the first pic.)

They also have a website under construction. WTF get's an indirect mention. :lol:

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones

Postby Sherry » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:17 pm

indigo_jones wrote:
They also have a website under construction. WTF get's an indirect mention. :lol:

Hehehe, under 'fans' not 'stalkers' Small mercies eh :lol:

Thanks for the snippets. Am updating the site and newsletter right now so shall add it all in :)
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:24 pm

Hehehe, under 'fans' not 'stalkers' Small mercies eh

Yeah, I was somewhat relieved that they made that distinction, small though it is. ;)

indigo_jones

Small distinctions

Postby Cleren » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:16 pm

Small distinctions can be very important. As my brother said when we paused in front of pub displaying a very prominent "No bikers" sign - to hide our helmets in our backpacks - "I am not a biker, I am a motorcyclist."
Cleren
Lost but happy at sea

Postby beck » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:20 am

Hehe, I went along to the City Gallery performance. There were loads of people there, and the orchestra played awesomely, as usual. They were without a couple of players, Bret being one, and two others who I've seen at their other gigs.

Their next gig they play I'll go along with a camera and such.

Also, Age Prior is very funny.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Also, Age Prior is very funny.

Don't leave me hanging like that! Details! Details! Please! Pretty please!

indigo_jones

Postby Deirdre » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:58 pm

Hi Becks,

I'm glad you decided to go anyway. They sound like a fun time even without their conchord member. That sounds bad, but I'm not going to change it. :oops:

Talk to you when I'm back from NY.
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby beck » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:33 am

Well when I went to see them play at the library, I was standing up with a few others on the balcony looking down at them. Age was like "Yeah, you guys up there, it's like a scene from the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Very ominous..."

And at the City Gallery show he was very chatty with the crowd. I think they felt a bit wierd with people clapping and cheering after each song. Just the way Age would say "Thank you, you're very kind" was so deadpan.
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:50 am

That thrills me to no end that Age is the one that made the Rocky Horror reference, as I used to be a Rocky Horror regular. hee! Thanks for the input becks! I'm so envious that you get to see them.

indigo_jones

Postby Andria » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:57 pm

Meant to post last night, but I actually fell asleep at me computer. *thuomp* Thought it best to go to bed.

Thanks, Jones for the Flickr link. I do love photos! (Of other people, just to clarify)

Thanks for sharing the information, becks! Age Pryor sounds too cool. :D Do you think perhaps they may be playing oh say, between December 31st and January 12th? Maybe? ;) Because someone just bought their plane ticket to your fair country.
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Pineapple » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:22 pm

Wooo! Tickets bought! Muahaha you can't back out now... Just kidding, it'll be great to eat you here HAVE you here sorry have you here in NZ we don't eat people no... Petrov, Yelyena & Me was not inspired by real events... they didn't just change the names from Fred, Bob & Trev and throw in a Russian accent... *cough* gonna go over there in the corner now :lol:
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'
Pineapple

Next

Return to Bret McKenzie