It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:08 am

Eagle vs Shark

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Postby jm513 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:35 am

OOOH! The Theater!!!!!!!!! I would actually GO for this one!! (I always say I am going to see something, but rarely rarely ever do)

so, off topic for a sec: I had a dream the other night that J was shoe shopping with me........ :que:

really, shoe shopping.......

oh the dreams that pregnancy brings on - they just keep getting more and more interesting. I will say however that J was probably the most pleasant shoe shopping companion a girl could ask for - actuallly gave his opinion :lol:
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby ElmoOxygen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:40 am

I hate to break it to all of you, but having now seen and walked out of Eagle vs. Shark (it was a test screening in NY so Miramax could see how to market it, but the product looks very much finished), you will have a hard time tolerating it unless you are the biggest fan of Napoleon Dynamite. Basically, it is a duplicate of that film in virtually all ways, the same tone, the same characters, the same sucked the air out of the room feel, the same jokes, situations, and just as insufferable. People acting out and intending to be as obnoxious as they can with no rhyme or reason except for the fact that the camera is rolling. The director really loathing the characters but pretending he doesn't for the amusement of the audience. The constant focus on what makes people unpleasant without any relief or introspection, just the thought that having them act "weird" will carry the day. The differences are minor, the profanity is awkwardly siphoned in which will garner it an R rating* so only adults will be able to see it, and it takes place in New Zealand as opposed to the middle of the USA. The same strange plot and time inconsistencies that plagued Napoleon are prevalent, the focus on animals and newfangled gadgets, and the bored way that everyone speaks is all the same.

The reasons I couldn't stand Napoleon Dynamite were myriad, it seemed to condescend to its own characters and pander to the audience. It made its subjects not just unpopular but impossible to tolerate. They weren't nerdy, they, especially Napoleon, needed diagnosis. To laugh at it would be like laughing at retarded children for being retarded. Both Eagle vs. Shark and Napoleon have the same issues, they think that because nerds aren't able to be well liked by the majority, that they can't have fun at all. There's a scene in Eagle which mirrors virtually every one in Napoleon; Jemaine and the lead character (a female obviously modeled on Amy Adams in Happiness, with a touch of Dawn Weiner from Welcome to the Dollhouse) are at a party where they have to dress up like animals, which Jemaine is hosting. They express no joy in any of this, not the other adults or other children there. It isn't about trying to remain "cool" and not get too excited, it looks like everyone upped their Valium intake. They then play a Mortal Kombat style game for the right to be champion. Again, despite the supposed enthusiasm of the situation, everyone appears to be lobotomized, glazed looks in their eyes and deadened ways of speaking. It isn't deadpan. It's just dead. Is the idea that those who aren't cool live their lives virtually in a coma? Even dorks who play Dungeons and Dragons enjoy the actual playing of the game. Eagle vs. Shark goes on and on like this for the hour my girlfriend and I sat through (we were supposed to be in the focus group, but walking out makes you ineligible, I can't really make suggestions that they change the tone anyway, that's the way the movie is going to be) and every minute will seem like an eternity for those not on board for watching Napoleon Dynamite at 30.

Now I'm a big fan of FOTC, and I was rooting for this film, but I would have walked out in five minutes had anyone else been the lead. They sap the natural energy and goofiness that Jemaine has, give him an ungainly mole and awful hair, that it actually became more depressing that it wasn't someone as naturally uncharismatic as Jon Heder playing the role.

*There's an intensely unfunny scene where Jemaine calls his sister a b**** and she calls him a cockhole that goes on for over a minute. There's no real explanation for it, that is the joke.
Last edited by ElmoOxygen on Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElmoOxygen
New arrival

Postby Pineapple » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:38 am

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it :(

However, I kinda enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite (*ducks sharp, flying objects*) so hopefully I might like Eagle vs Shark too... Once I see it. If I see it. Depending on the rating... etc.
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'
Pineapple
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby ElmoOxygen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:50 am

Pineapple wrote:I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it :(

However, I kinda enjoyed Napoleon Dynamite (*ducks sharp, flying objects*) so hopefully I might like Eagle vs Shark too... Once I see it. If I see it. Depending on the rating... etc.

Hey, if you're going to make an even lower energy sequel to Napoleon Dynamite, this would be it. Even the patterns on the wall and the set design are the same. However, I have a hard time fathoming why an adult or any film enthusiast aware of where each movie heavily cribs from (Solondz, Anderson, etc.) could possibly enjoy Eagle or Napoleon, but I've known lots of tweeners who enjoy watching people foam at the mouth or shoot a basketball in a moronic way. It is kind of like watching an episode of Jackass where Steve-O runs into a wall repeatedly for 85 minutes, with no variation and seems to experience no pain from the situation. Eventually, you just want to scream at them, "feel something!"
ElmoOxygen
New arrival

Postby beck » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:56 am

I will probably see Eagle vs. Shark even if it gets ripped to shreds by reviewers. Gotta support the local film makers.

Meli- I liked Napoleon Dynamite too. In fact, I really really liked it. At my uni hostel last year we managed to see it before it became hugely popular, and we all thought it was hilarious!
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Sherry » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:48 pm

Hmmm thanks for stopping by and letting us know your thoughts on the film ElmoOxygen :) Always good to hear what people have to say.

I have to say I have never seen Napoleon Dynamite, not one minute of it. Not even a trailer :lol: So alas I have no clue as to what the similarities are. I've never felt any pressing need to see it and even though I am curious now, I shall not worry. I don't feel it will be a life enriching experience :P

Your thoughts on Eagle v Shark are interesting. I am hoping the film is semi decent for a lo-budget indie film and shall be watching it given the chance. I'm prepared however for it to be total pants. I don't expect to like *everything* the guys are involved in, but am hoping that Taika's first full length film will be at least watchable. He is a decent talented guy and holds the dubious honour of being the only grown man I have ever met who actually manages to make knee high socks and long shorts look good :rolls:

I'm still out on Jemaine's acting talent. Its hard to gauge when he has appeared in so little. I've liked what I have seen so far, but he is not what I call a great talent acting wise. Lo budget indie films from New Zealand are not really comparable to any of the Hollywood stuff churned out. Still a crap film is a crap film :lol: Does not matter if it costs thousands or tens of millions. Maybe comedy is his genre. He might suit comedy and a 30 minute 'sitcom' better than a movie.

I'll be interested to hear what others have to say also. And if you don't mind, I may well use your 'review' of the film on the main site sometime soon. I'm not one for only posting the 'good' reviews and so on. I like to be able to show opinions from both sides. Healthy. While I like the guys and enjoy the Conchords, I am not going to wuss out and only wax lyrical about them if I don't like something. If I think something is crap, then I am not going to pretend otherwise :P If someone else thinks something is crap, their opinion is respected also.

Cheers for sharing with us Elmo :)
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Birday » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:03 am

ElmoOxygen wrote:I hate to break it to all of you, but having now seen and walked out of Eagle vs. Shark (it was a test screening in NY so Miramax could see how to market it, but the product looks very much finished), you will have a hard time tolerating it unless you are the biggest fan of Napoleon Dynamite. Basically, it is a duplicate of that film in virtually all ways, the same tone, the same characters, the same sucked the air out of the room feel, the same jokes, situations, and just as insufferable. People acting out and intending to be as obnoxious as they can with no rhyme or reason except for the fact that the camera is rolling. The director really loathing the characters but pretending he doesn't for the amusement of the audience. The constant focus on what makes people unpleasant without any relief or introspection, just the thought that having them act "weird" will carry the day. The differences are minor, the profanity is awkwardly siphoned in which will garner it an R rating* so only adults will be able to see it, and it takes place in New Zealand as opposed to the middle of the USA. The same strange plot and time inconsistencies that plagued Napoleon are prevalent, the focus on animals and newfangled gadgets, and the bored way that everyone speaks is all the same.

The reasons I couldn't stand Napoleon Dynamite were myriad, it seemed to condescend to its own characters and pander to the audience. It made its subjects not just unpopular but impossible to tolerate. They weren't nerdy, they, especially Napoleon, needed diagnosis. To laugh at it would be like laughing at retarded children for being retarded. Both Eagle vs. Shark and Napoleon have the same issues, they think that because nerds aren't able to be well liked by the majority, that they can't have fun at all. There's a scene in Eagle which mirrors virtually every one in Napoleon; Jemaine and the lead character (a female obviously modeled on Amy Adams in Happiness, with a touch of Dawn Weiner from Welcome to the Dollhouse) are at a party where they have to dress up like animals, which Jemaine is hosting. They express no joy in any of this, not the other adults or other children there. It isn't about trying to remain "cool" and not get too excited, it looks like everyone upped their Valium intake. They then play a Mortal Kombat style game for the right to be champion. Again, despite the supposed enthusiasm of the situation, everyone appears to be lobotomized, glazed looks in their eyes and deadened ways of speaking. It isn't deadpan. It's just dead. Is the idea that those who aren't cool live their lives virtually in a coma? Even dorks who play Dungeons and Dragons enjoy the actual playing of the game. Eagle vs. Shark goes on and on like this for the hour my girlfriend and I sat through (we were supposed to be in the focus group, but walking out makes you ineligible, I can't really make suggestions that they change the tone anyway, that's the way the movie is going to be) and every minute will seem like an eternity for those not on board for watching Napoleon Dynamite at 30.

Now I'm a big fan of FOTC, and I was rooting for this film, but I would have walked out in five minutes had anyone else been the lead. They sap the natural energy and goofiness that Jemaine has, give him an ungainly mole and awful hair, that it actually became more depressing that it wasn't someone as naturally uncharismatic as Jon Heder playing the role.

*There's an intensely unfunny scene where Jemaine calls his sister a b**** and she calls him a cockhole that goes on for over a minute. There's no real explanation for it, that is the joke.

Wow

Thank you very much Elmooxygen for writing up that personal review of yours about Eagle vs. Shark,it had some interesting points there.

i was hoping the film would show at an indie theatre here in the city(baltimore),and if it ever does show i still wanna give it a looksie and judge for myself.

but,comparing the amount of comedy in it to napolean dynamite,i sort of feel dissapointed :? because i did not think that film was funny at all,i didn't laugh once.although i did smirk at some scenes,i wish they would've categorized it as something else other than "Comedy".

btw,have you seen tongan ninja? and if so,how would you compare that with eagle vs shark?
Birday
Giving the paper to the people

Postby indigo_jones » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm disheartened to hear it compared to Napoleon Dynamite, since I only made it through the first 15 minutes or so of that film. I'll still see Eagle vs Shark for myself, but I guess all I can hope is that if I go in with low expectations, I can't be too disappointed. There's always the music in the film to look forward to!
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Johnnyp » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:14 am

I thought Napoleon Dynamite was pretty funy so this should work for me.
Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby jm513 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:31 pm

I have not seen ND. The previews or whatever they are that I have seen, I didn't get. I know people who have and our humor is very different, so who knows. I'll still see the film regardless....
"I can't brain today - I haz teh dumb"
jm513
Boom Queen Baby

Postby Sherry » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:21 pm

This snippet dug up by /me (who is working working working but finds time to chat to me on IM most days :D )

Looks like Miramax are pressing ahead with Eagle vs Shark. Here is hoping other reviews of the film are better :) We wait with interest.

Looking ahead to 2007, Miramax has an impressive slate of films already on deck, including the crime drama "The Lookout," marking the directorial debut of Oscar nominated screenwriter Scott Frank ("Out of Sight") and starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jeff Daniels, Isla Fisher and Matthew Goode; "Eagle vs. Shark," directed by Oscar nominee Taika Waititi (the short "Two Cars One Night") and starring New Zealanders Loren Horsley and Jemaine Clement; and the romantic drama "Becoming Jane," directed by Julian Jarrold ("Kinky Boots") and starring Anne Hathaway, Dame Maggie Smith, Julie Walters and James McAvoy.

Taken from here
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby meh » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:46 am

ElmoOxygen wrote:
Pineapple wrote:I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it :(

Hey, if you're going to make an even lower energy sequel to Napoleon Dynamite, this would be it. Even the patterns on the wall and the set design are the same. However, I have a hard time fathoming why an adult or any film enthusiast aware of where each movie heavily cribs from (Solondz, Anderson, etc.) could possibly enjoy Eagle or Napoleon, but I've known lots of tweeners who enjoy watching people foam at the mouth or shoot a basketball in a moronic way. It is kind of like watching an episode of Jackass where Steve-O runs into a wall repeatedly for 85 minutes, with no variation and seems to experience no pain from the situation. Eventually, you just want to scream at them, "feel something!"

hi there,
i haven't yet seen eagle vs. shark, however am a big fan of Taika's work, and a friend of his...

now i'm not going to go on a rant how you can't make these comments because i like Taika, i'm just going to say that i know where you're coming from.

firstly, i attend a seminar of Taika's at the start of the year, and when asked about his film in comparison to ND, he stated that he hadn't even heard of it when he was writing EVS... and then he cringed at the fact his film was already being compared before it was even released.

nextly, new zealand humour is quite very different from american humour.
secondly, EVS, like ND is absurdist cinema.

the characters aren't supposed to feel anything. they are supposed to be empty characters that sometimes have exaggerated movements and sudden mood and status changes.

the idea of absurdism is to make the audience frustrated, and to portray to them the absurdist idea that life is meaninless.

in samuel beckett's Waiting for Godot (a very famous absurdist theatre piece) the two main characters wait on the side of the road for three audience-viewed hours waiting for a man named Godot. he never comes, and nothing happens.

though beckett was an extremely depressed man and wrote plays like this to express his absurdist ideas, Taika is not (to my knowledge) 'extremely depressed.'

Taika, i imagine has made EVS for a light hearted laugh as well as a bit of drama. if you've seen some of his 48hour films you will understand how he subverts cinema conventions, and if you watch his two shorts (two cars one night, and tama tu) you will see how he can blend both comedy and drama together so finely...

but again,
i have not seen it...
i so wish to see it because i'm sure i'd love it...

anyhow you're allowed your opinions and i respect them (thank you very much elmo  ), but i'm just slightly jealous and disappointed that you got the opportunity to see it and walked out half way through. i would have at least stayed the full running time to get the overall impression of the film.

coming to my last point... i'm sick of people who break things down and scrutinize each bit... and that is why i dropped media studies :)

yay for school!

ugh.
meh

Postby Sherry » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:52 pm

meh wrote:hi there,
i haven't yet seen eagle vs. shark, however am a big fan of Taika's work, and a friend of his...

now i'm not going to go on a rant how you can't make these comments because i like Taika, i'm just going to say that i know where you're coming from.

firstly, i attend a seminar of Taika's at the start of the year, and when asked about his film in comparison to ND, he stated that he hadn't even heard of it when he was writing EVS... and then he cringed at the fact his film was already being compared before it was even released.

nextly, new zealand humour is quite very different from american humour.
secondly, EVS, like ND is absurdist cinema.

the characters aren't supposed to feel anything. they are supposed to be empty characters that sometimes have exaggerated movements and sudden mood and status changes.

the idea of absurdism is to make the audience frustrated, and to portray to them the absurdist idea that life is meaninless.

in samuel beckett's Waiting for Godot (a very famous absurdist theatre piece) the two main characters wait on the side of the road for three audience-viewed hours waiting for a man named Godot. he never comes, and nothing happens.

though beckett was an extremely depressed man and wrote plays like this to express his absurdist ideas, Taika is not (to my knowledge) 'extremely depressed.'

Taika, i imagine has made EVS for a light hearted laugh as well as a bit of drama. if you've seen some of his 48hour films you will understand how he subverts cinema conventions, and if you watch his two shorts (two cars one night, and tama tu) you will see how he can blend both comedy and drama together so finely...

but again,
i have not seen it...
i so wish to see it because i'm sure i'd love it...

anyhow you're allowed your opinions and i respect them (thank you very much elmo  ), but i'm just slightly jealous and disappointed that you got the opportunity to see it and walked out half way through. i would have at least stayed the full running time to get the overall impression of the film.

coming to my last point... i'm sick of people who break things down and scrutinize each bit... and that is why i dropped media studies :)

yay for school!

ugh.

Thank you. Really. Thanks :)

I enjoyed reading your thoughts and views on this subject. And to have gained a little more insight. This is such a difficult reply to write, I'm struggling to write what is in my mind, without sounding clichéd. Gah :roll:

I'm glad someone came along and has written with a NZer pov. I did deliberate about posting the EvS snippet on the news page, and was a little concerned that because it was a negative pov, it would annoy/upset/anger fans of the guys (and Taika) but I am as I said, not one to pretend that negative stuff never gets said. I did want to see if there was more out to be heard about this film though. There is more than a negative out there I am sure. I'm happy to read positives believe me. I've followed Taika's career for a number of years now and have seen him perform live also. He's a good guy. I want and hope this film is something I like. But if it isn't hey, thats ok. Its not going to be to everyones liking. And it does not mean I am going to dislike all his future work. I'll wait with interest for the next thing he does for sure. I'm pretty simple in that way.

I do think that yes, there is marked difference in humour, not just between the US and NZ, obviously other nations also. Here in the UK, much of our humour flies over the heads of many elsewhere. My partner is Australian and its unbelieveable how varied the humour can be between us. Saying that, I find much to like in Australian comedy and its cinema. And I have been following various NZ actors/performers/film makers for a fair while now. My partner lived in NZ for a while and his interest and love of your country continues to spark mine.

To cover what you have said, I do feel for Taika, with regards to the film being compared before its even been released. That it was being compared back then, such a strange thing to do to film. Obviously marketing and so on will play its part, and pushing a film at a certain audience is not unusual. I think the media interest and the internet have well and truly played their part in chaging the face of how films are made and marketed in the modern day.

I'm sure as the time for release draws closer much more will be written about this film. Reviewers, fans, studio will all have their say. Some people will go see this film regardless of what gets said, simply because they are fans (be it of Jemaine, Taika, whoever) and may or may not be disappointed. Others will go to see it based on reviews. A whole host of reasons. Ultimately each person will make up their own mind if they liked it or not and the reasons why. Napoloean Dynamite might have nothing to do with it :popcorn: We'll all be yelling over the fence to each other or sat on it trying not to fall off and squish people afterwards :lol:

I think the main thing is that Taika made/makes the film he wants. If he is happy with the end result then good on him as a director and writer. He has done more than many in the world of film making. I respect that. To get to where he is today he has not done so without talent or originality. We know that. Just others do not, as we read, see all his work as you or even I may do.

Ummm, crap. I'm talking out my backside here. I need to go stick my head in a bucket and run at a wall or something. Knock some talent with expression into my feeble mind.

Bollocks :writersblock:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Deirdre » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi guys,

There is another review "out there" that I read a while back. It was from the same screening that Emo saw. It was a significantly more positive review with comments about the acting and story line that did not have anything to do with ND. I am actively trying to find it and procure it for you. So wish me luck. :D

PS: The reviewer wasn't familiar with any of the principles of the movie. So it's truly unbiased.
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby indigo_jones » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:35 pm

I think the main thing is that Taika made/makes the film he wants. If he is happy with the end result then good on him as a director and writer. He has done more than many in the world of film making. I respect that. To get to where he is today he has not done so without talent or originality.

Ah, well said, Sherry. This is what it comes down to in the end. All art is subjective. It can really move some and leave others cold. In the end, as long as the artist is satisfied or inspired to keep working, that's the main point. Someone is bound to come along who will also be pleased and inspired.

I'm not big on making my choice through reviews one way or another. If it's something I'm curious about, I'll see for myself.

Thank you for the personal perspective, meh. It has given me a different sense of the perspective of the film.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement