It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Jenny Tabs

Erm, music, lyrics and tabs. Asking about Conchords music, lyrics or tabs please post here.

Moderator: Nancy

Jenny Tabs

Postby OhJenny » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:12 pm

Hi there,

I am trying to desperately figure out Jenny. The tab provided I'm pretty sure is wrong and is not complete. Basically I am looking for the basic chords Brett is playing for most of the song but especially the chord progression during "We just looked out, across the city from our little spot on the hilltop....etc etc". I tried watching the HBO special but they never stay on the guitar for long enough.

I am also asking the same question about "Think about it, Think about it".

Does anyone know? If not, is there anyway to get in touch with the guys themselves to ask?
OhJenny
New arrival

Postby Sherry » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:46 am

Hey there,

The guy who kindly did them only partly transcribed them. Mostly its repitition, well, sounds so to my ear. As to how 'correct' they are, I have no idea. I have not played the guitar in years and have put them on the Tabs page and awaited feedback about how they play. As no one has given it, I cannot therefore know how close they are. Anyone is welcome to give transcribing tabs a go and submit them :)

I can only suggest you continue trying to figure them out :) Thats how all of the tabs that we have, have come about here :)

Maybe someone else here can help you tab wise, but we've not had anyone post anything on Jenny tabs in a fair while, so I don't know if you will get much luck there.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Johnnyp » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:13 am

What do you know you're just a bass player. :lol:
Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Sherry » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:47 am

Johnnyp wrote:What do you know you're just a bass player. :lol:

The illusion I have spent many a year creating is ruined :hrmpf:

:shock:

:down:

:sosad:

Almost......

:rock: :macarena:
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Johnnyp » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:29 pm

:lol:
Johnnyp
The One Guy

chords for Jenny

Postby sdh97m » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:51 am

I've performed "Jenny" with friends a couple of times, and I think I have a viable chord reading, at least for what Bret plays on the HBO special (I have no idea what Jemaine does).

Note that the tab chart below is my adaptation of slightly incorrect chords I found at http://www.azchords.com/f/flightoftheco ... 18069.html, in which the fourth chord is incorrect. The rest of the chords I just figured out from watching the FOTC clip. Also note that I'm not sure how to use a monotype font, so spacing is probably off.

At the start of the song, these four chords repeat (you can see Brett's hands if you watch closely):

e|--------10-----------x----------9------------10-------------|
B|--------10-----------x----------10-----------12-------------|
G|--------11-----------11---------11-----------12-------------|
D|--------12-----------11---------11-----------12-------------|
A|--------12-----------12---------9------------10-------------|
E|--------10-----------9----------9-------------10-------------|

The first is an E barred at the 10th fret, followed by the same chord with the bass note raised a half step (and the G&E muted), then an Am barred at the 9th fret, and then an A barred at the 10th fret.

At a few key points in the song, you play what nearly amounts to the same four chords, only up higher on the guitar neck (lower pitch): a normal D, followed by a normal A, then an F#, then a G (but instead of a normal G, you slide up a half step from the F# so that it's an E barred at the third fret).

Those two 4-chord progressions are interchangeable, so I think Brett just switches back and forth at key points in the song to add some variety.

There are two points in the song where the chords are different. I'm pretty sure I don't have them exactly, but here's what I play:

---------Bm---------------A
You said, "Meet me here in one year"

------G-----------------------A
You just needed some time to clear your head

(Then you return to the 4-chord progression on "head").

And later:

----------D---------Bm
We just looked -- oooouuuut

----A----------------------------G--------------------------A
Across the city from our little spot up there on the hilltop.

------------Bm---------------------------A
Oh, it's so pretty from way up there.

-----------------------------Bm------------------------------A
We talked about how the lights from the buildings and cars

------------------G----------------F#
seemed like reflections of the stars

------Bm------------------[no guitar]
that shined out so pretty and bright, that night. 

I'd love to hear corrections if anyone has some, but hopefully these will do as a start for anyone who want to learn the song.
sdh97m
New arrival

Postby Sherry » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed post sdh97m (I'm not quite sure how to shorten that down :lol: )

IIRC its the Courier New font needed when writing out tabs. I was told that when I put them on the main site, and they seem to have shown up pretty well there. Hope that helps for any future tab workings :)
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Return to Music, lyrics and tabs