I've just updated the Eagle vs Shark page with all the review links.
Read the blurb here and follow the links to the reviews.
UPDATE - January 28
- Its been a busy week at Sundance. If you want to read the various reviews and snippets from the Eagle vs Shark screenings read below for the long list of review links. Word seems to be pretty good on the film, although some of the reviewers were not overly impressed. The Napoleon Dynamite comparison was widely used. Taika has never seen Napoleon Dynamite and nor have I. So when I finally get to see Eagle vs Shark, I'll then go watch Napoleon Dynamite and say 'Hey, it reminds me of Eagle vs Shark' Just trying to be different. Or just trying
- Reviewer liked it. Quite a lot. Summed up saying 'Of all the films I got to see at Sundance, I'm not sure it was the best, but it was definitely the one I enjoyed the most.' This reviewer mentions the film is a mix of Pride and Prejudice, Monty Python, Homestar Runner and some film called Napoleon Dynamite
- Gave it a film rating of 8.5 out of 10, 'nuff said. Almost. The review mentions a few other films, to help you out. The Royal Tenenbaums, Little Miss Sunshine and some film called Napoleon Dynamite
- Second from bottom paragraph on the page. Another one who liked it. Says 'Director Waititi has a promising future'. What might also catch your eye is the mention of some film called Napoleon Dynamite
Spin and Stir
- Says 'You can read a synopsis of the film here, but it doesn't do it justice (YES JUSTICE not JUSTIN you'll get that joke if you see the movie) because the execution is fantastic and just makes this film work.' So thats a feeling the love vote for Taika methinks! And the reviewer gets in a mention of some film called Napoleon Dynamite
Quint's AICN review
- 'I really hate making this comparison because it's becoming the go-to reference when talking about off-kilter indie comedies, but EAGLE VS. SHARK reminded me a lot of NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. The worlds are completely different, but there's a similar tone. There's a kind of nerdy kitsch that is shared, the lead character is an annoying idiot, but somehow he's still likable. The performances are all great, there are no lulls in the pacing and the funny is consistent. It's a really sweet movie.' Awwww sweet. And nerdy. And reminiscent of some film called Napoleon Dynamite
- Thought it was an 'absolute gem' and says to watch out for it. Wooo, ladies and gents, we have a winner. No mention of some film called Napoleon Dynamite. O wait, I just typed ... o crudlet
- One reviewer used lots of long words but seemed to enjoy it, the other said 'Bah' and talked about The Castle a gem of a movie from 1997. One of my top films I have to admit. The review also mentions some film called Napolean Dynamite
. Never heard of it
Yes I'm trying
Also Variety has named Taika Waititi as one of the top 10 directors to watch. Article says -
'Young New Zealand film director Taika Waititi has been named as one of 10 new talents to watch in influential United States entertainment magazine Variety.
The magazine said since they began their 10 Directors to Watch survey more than a decade ago, they had seen the film industry "constantly reinvigorated by the emergence of fresh storytellers", who had been recognised on the list.
Waititi's latest achievement is a premiere at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival for his comedy feature Eagle vs Shark, about two social misfits who find love.
Last year he was nominated for an Oscar for his short film Two Cars, One Night. His next project, a drama about Maori children, is based on his Two Cars.
Variety's directors list had a global flavour with talent from the United Kingdom, Scandinavia, Latin America, Germany, Switzerland, Canada and the United States.' Taken from Stuff NZ