Eagle vs Shark

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Postby Pineapple » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:07 pm

Thanks meh :D What they all said :lol:

I meant to say, I saw Two Cars, One Night a while back. I loved it. It was a good blend of comedy and drama, and... how do I say it... I could believe it happened just down the road kind of thing. Very 'real'.

I agree about all the humour differences. And like Indy said, it's all subjective anyway :)

Cool :D
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'
Pineapple
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Deirdre » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:07 pm

Guess what? After being given a lead by Nicole, and searching a live journal site, (Which included having to join it, not exactly something I wanted to do.) I found the reviewer of Eagle v Shark.

I am expecting a copy of the review today or tomorrow. Sherry, I am going to post it here in this thread unless you tell me different.

Hurray, I can't wait to read it again. :cheer:
Deirdre
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Sherry » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:17 pm

Deirdre wrote:Guess what? After being given a lead by Nicole, and searching a live journal site, (Which included having to join it, not exactly something I wanted to do.) I found the reviewer of Eagle v Shark.

I am expecting a copy of the review today or tomorrow. Sherry, I am going to post it here in this thread unless you tell me different.

Hurray, I can't wait to read it again. :cheer:

lol D. Go for it. Looking forward to reading it here.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Deirdre » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:02 am

Here's the review I told you guys about.

Jenni says:

EAGLE VS SHARK
Director: Taika Cohen
with Jemaine Clement and Loren Horsley

At the end of July, I attended a Miramax test screening of the film,
Eagle vs Shark. I was at the time, completely unfamiliar with both the
film's director, Taika Cohen, and the film's stars Jemaine Clement and
Loren Horsley. I was given both the title, which I mocked mercilessly
prior to the screening, and a brief synopsis: "Eagle vs Shark is the
tale of two socially awkward misfits and the strange ways they try to
find love; through revenge on high-school bullies, burgers, and video
games." Nothing about the title or the synopsis intrigued me, and to
make matter worse, I was completely convinced that the movie was
titled Eagle vs. Snake, so I was prepared on some level to view a
story that delved into the symbolism of the Mexican flag. Really, it
just all sounded to darn precious to be any damn good. Imagine my
surprise then, when I found myself in the focus group following the
screening doggedly defending the movie.

Most who disliked the movie felt it was way too derivative of a
handful of small pictures that have achieved great mainstream success
over the last few years. Indeed, many felt that the sole purpose of
the movie was to cash in on what they perceived to be a thriving
quirky cinema market. One woman went so far as to say, "Like, um, if
Me and You and Everyone We Know had a baby with Napoleon Dynamite, it
would be this movie." I would like to think the director was well
aware that such comparisons might be drawn, and he spat on the ground
and said, "f*** it, I like this movie, scratch that, I love this
movie, and I'm going to risk it." And that is the feel of the movie.
It feels warm and sincere, but at the same time one is slightly aware
that even the slightest misstep could sink the story, so fragile and
basic is its premise. The risk pays off, and the movie never once
careens off course.

The acting is very strong, with Jemaine Clement filling the role of
awkward and self-important social retard with such ease and humanity
that it is hard to legitimately compare his character Jarrod with Jon
Heder's well-crafted caricature, Napoleon. I do believe that the
character of Napoleon, love him or hate him, forever changed the
mainstream face of the social misfit/geek stock character or
stereotype (gone finally are the days of the taped up glasses and
pocket protector), but it is in the character of Jarrod that we really
start to see the genuine article. And it makes you squirm because,
damn, you know that guy. In my particular case that guy asked me to
prom. Twice. Anyway, even if one is not entirely sold on Clement's
performance, all would hard pressed to find flaws in Loren Horsley's
performance. Not since Angela Bettis's inspired turn as the title
character in the film May, have I seen a better or more complex
representation of the female social misfit/geek. Horsley's portrayal
of chronic loser, Lily, is incredibly complete. Her performance is so
subtle and believable, that I found myself connecting with her, and
leaning forward in my seat as I might during a gripping live
performance.

There are even some cleverly cloying bits of stop motion animation
that put me more in the mind set of Savage Steve Holland's Better Off
Dead, then any of the indie darlings that the other folks in the focus
group kept referencing. It is just a very well put together film, and
I did my damnedest during the focus group to voice my enjoyment of it
in hopes that this one will not end up simply collecting dust on shelf
at Miramax. I do not actually believe in this mythic thriving quirky
cinema market that other focus group members told tale of, I and it
seems the fate of this film's future here in the states is hardly set
in stone. Fortunately, there still seems to be some buzz about Cohen's
Oscar nod in 2005 for the short film, "Two Cars, One Night," and his
Sundance screened honorable mention short Tama Tu, and even a little
buzz for Eagle vs Shark itself which was reportedly workshopped at the
snooty Sundance Directors/Screenwriters Labs. I'll resist the urge to
call Cohen a pure bread puppy, and instead reaffirm that he really did
his job well in the case of Eagle vs. Shark, and I hope to see it's
release in the near future.

Thanks Jenni!
Deirdre

Postby Pineapple » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:19 am

That was a good read :D

Man I'm impatient to see it now! :lol:
'Along comes Michael... On his bicycle... Lookin' as cool as a Fisher and Paykel...'
Pineapple

Postby Sherry » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Cheers for digging that up D :) And thanks to Jenni

I have a few things to say writing wise for the site so I'll include it in the next day or two on the news page. TBH, there are so many lilttle snippets of news around atm, its easier to do one big update rather than keep adding little bits here and there. Well, thats my excuse :lol:

EDIT - I've updated the site and given the two reviews their own page
:lol: Jenni emailed in and asked me to make a couple of edits to her review, a tiny bit of wording which I have duely done.

http://www.whatthefolk.net/news.htm

http://www.whatthefolk.net/eaglevshark.html

I shall at some point work this all into the Jemaine section along with some other snippets. For now, while its at the top of the news page, it will link from there.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Deirdre » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:16 am

Anytime. :whitey:
Deirdre

Postby Sherry » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:33 pm

Eagle vs Shark news

I finally got off my arse and updated :lol:

Sundance screening times are out

Tuesday Jan 23 9 PM Egyptian Theatre, Park City EAGLE23EN
Wednesday Jan 24 9:15 PM Holiday Village Cinema III EAGLE243N
Thursday Jan 25 9 AM Egyptian Theatre, Park City EAGLE25EM
Friday Jan 26 9:30 PM Peery's Egyptian Theater, Ogden EAGLE26ON
Sunday Jan 28 6:30 PM Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center, SLC EAGLE28GE

Also the film poster and some other newsy bits - Official site, Takia interivew - Can read it all over on the Eagle vs Shark page on WTF!

I'm impressed! How did Jemaine/Jarrod not fall out of his sleeping bag? Did he stick himself in with sticky tape? Glue? Or... or... sheer mind power held him there :o

BTW - please note, I have posted on the main news page the following about Eagle vs Shark news coming in off of Sundance

Note - As the film is currently screening at Sundance, it will no doubt be mentioned on blogs and Sundance related sites and the like. However I've covered the film here on WTF! in a fair amount of detail and as its not a Conchords project, but a Jemaine acting one, I shall not keep updating the main news page with news and articles off the back of Sundance. All WTF! updates for Eagle vs Shark shall be on the film's page.

Sound fair enough? :) Any and all updates for the film will not go on the main news page of WTF! Times like this, keep updating with news thats not really 'news' is a bit of a pain so I tend to leave all the snippets alone unless really it really merits a mention. Not everyone who is a fan of the Conchords wants to read every bit of news from other projects the guys work on. So to be fair, I've done it this way :wtf:

Cheers

Sherry
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:58 pm

Age Pryor mentioned the Sundance screenings happening this week when he was interviewed on Radio NZ the other day, and he performed the song "I Don't Want", which is included on the film soundtrack, along with a bunch of songs by The Phoenix Foundation, as well as some other NZ bands, such as the Reduction Agents. After hearing I Don't Want -- and knowing a little bit about the film -- I can see why Taika wanted that song for the film.

I hope the film does well and gets some more exposure for all of those involved. And I hope I get to see it at some point! *fingers crossed*
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Sherry » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:44 pm

Hmmmm :hrm:

I keep reading reviews and comments about the Napoleon Dynamite comparison. I think I shall watch the film and see if I hate it, loathe it or maybe like it.

As for E vs S, have to wait a while longer, I'm not making my mind up on it based on reviews and comments so far. Nor am I thinking that because it has Jemaine in it, I'll like it regardless. Or that I like it already because of all the connections it has with him :rolleyes:

Anyways, stuff to do
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Deirdre » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:23 am

I've read at least three reviews of the movie. And they all agree that there is something about this movie that makes it really special and sweet and not totally like Napoleon Dynamite. That being said, Jemaine's affect in the trailer of the movie could remind one of the character in ND. But that's just from a one minute trailer.

So don't go see ND if you really don't want to. Remember, Taika didn't see the movie before he made E vs S. I don't know if he has seen it yet. And from what I've read, Taika is the reason the movie is receiving such great reviews. :adoration: Of course Loren and Jemaine deserve much credit as well. :cheer:

And Taika being chosen as one of the "Ten Directors to Watch" this year at Sundance is a pretty amazing honor. :woohoo: I couldn't be happier for them all. :boogie:
Last edited by Deirdre on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deirdre

Postby beck » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:47 am

I went and saw Age Pryor play last night in Napier (he gave me the thumbs up!) and he played his song from the E vs S soundtrack. Very sweet song!
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck

Postby Sherry » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:46 pm

I've just updated the Eagle vs Shark page with all the review links.

Read the blurb here and follow the links to the reviews.

UPDATE - January 28 - Its been a busy week at Sundance. If you want to read the various reviews and snippets from the Eagle vs Shark screenings read below for the long list of review links. Word seems to be pretty good on the film, although some of the reviewers were not overly impressed. The Napoleon Dynamite comparison was widely used. Taika has never seen Napoleon Dynamite and nor have I. So when I finally get to see Eagle vs Shark, I'll then go watch Napoleon Dynamite and say 'Hey, it reminds me of Eagle vs Shark' Just trying to be different. Or just trying ;)

Windrider - Reviewer liked it. Quite a lot. Summed up saying 'Of all the films I got to see at Sundance, I'm not sure it was the best, but it was definitely the one I enjoyed the most.' This reviewer mentions the film is a mix of Pride and Prejudice, Monty Python, Homestar Runner and some film called Napoleon Dynamite :shock:

/film - Gave it a film rating of 8.5 out of 10, 'nuff said. Almost. The review mentions a few other films, to help you out. The Royal Tenenbaums, Little Miss Sunshine and some film called Napoleon Dynamite :shock:

Indiewire - Second from bottom paragraph on the page. Another one who liked it. Says 'Director Waititi has a promising future'. What might also catch your eye is the mention of some film called Napoleon Dynamite :shock:

Spin and Stir - Says 'You can read a synopsis of the film here, but it doesn't do it justice (YES JUSTICE not JUSTIN you'll get that joke if you see the movie) because the execution is fantastic and just makes this film work.' So thats a feeling the love vote for Taika methinks! And the reviewer gets in a mention of some film called Napoleon Dynamite :shock:

Quint's AICN review - 'I really hate making this comparison because it's becoming the go-to reference when talking about off-kilter indie comedies, but EAGLE VS. SHARK reminded me a lot of NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. The worlds are completely different, but there's a similar tone. There's a kind of nerdy kitsch that is shared, the lead character is an annoying idiot, but somehow he's still likable. The performances are all great, there are no lulls in the pacing and the funny is consistent. It's a really sweet movie.' Awwww sweet. And nerdy. And reminiscent of some film called Napoleon Dynamite :shock:

Moviehole - Thought it was an 'absolute gem' and says to watch out for it. Wooo, ladies and gents, we have a winner. No mention of some film called Napoleon Dynamite. O wait, I just typed ... o crudlet :shock:

Quintana Books - One reviewer used lots of long words but seemed to enjoy it, the other said 'Bah' and talked about The Castle a gem of a movie from 1997. One of my top films I have to admit. The review also mentions some film called Napolean Dynamite. Never heard of it ;)

Yes I'm trying :bolt:

Also Variety has named Taika Waititi as one of the top 10 directors to watch. Article says -

'Young New Zealand film director Taika Waititi has been named as one of 10 new talents to watch in influential United States entertainment magazine Variety.

The magazine said since they began their 10 Directors to Watch survey more than a decade ago, they had seen the film industry "constantly reinvigorated by the emergence of fresh storytellers", who had been recognised on the list.

Waititi's latest achievement is a premiere at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival for his comedy feature Eagle vs Shark, about two social misfits who find love.

Last year he was nominated for an Oscar for his short film Two Cars, One Night. His next project, a drama about Maori children, is based on his Two Cars.

Variety's directors list had a global flavour with talent from the United Kingdom, Scandinavia, Latin America, Germany, Switzerland, Canada and the United States.' Taken from Stuff NZ
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Deirdre » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Yeah, I guess that was my point. :hrm:

Taika was not influenced by Napoleon Dynamite and his film should be appreciated for it's own originality and style. :hammer:

Anyway, once again...

Congrats Taika, Jemaine and Loren!!

:cheer: :whitey: :dance: :macarena: :adoration: :popcorn: :eyelashes: :yay: :supz: :thumb: 8) :clap:

I think the smileys are better than me rambling on. Don't you? :rolls:
Deirdre

Postby Pineapple » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:37 pm

LOL hmmm... is it just me or did Napoleon Dynamite come up a few times? I'm probably dreaming.

The mentions of Little Miss Sunshine, The Royal Tenenbaums and THE CASTLE!!! get me excited... I know it's only mentions, but I love all those movies :rolleyes:

gaaah I just wanna see the thing.

And WOO for Taika! Good on him.
Pineapple

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement