It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Eagle vs Shark

AKA as HipHopapotamus, half of the Humourbeasts, Action Fighter, Dr Chevalier and Jarrod in Eagle vs Shark! Nuff said. You can write the rest!

Moderator: SuzyBatt

Postby Sherry » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:09 pm

Heh Eagle vs Shark now has its own LJ community for those on LJ who might be interested. Or anyone else just wanting to take a peek.

Eagle vs Shark LJ
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby indigo_jones » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:45 pm

Heh. I went with a kiwi music theme for most of my answers. I blame the allergy medicine. :rolleyes:
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Ellen » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:47 am

I went to the free Philebrity-sponsored screening last night and I was so surprised at how much more I got out of this film on the second viewing. I was able to focus on the subtle details I missed at the first screening – and there were a lot of them. I also found that the picture actually made me laugh more frequently this time. I have a lot of respect for pictures that improve with subsequent viewings; it shows the level of thought and care that was put into the work. (Although I have no clue how Miramax is going to make any money if they keep showing it for free! :wink: )
Ellen
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Goodbye Babylon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:06 am

Sounds promising, glad you liked it. Can't wait till it comes out here.

I'm a shark ! (I did the eagle vs shark quiz its pretty funny.)
a squirrel is the same as a can.....
when there is a bb gun in my hand
Goodbye Babylon
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Andria » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:18 am

We had some severe weather here today, and as I was switching between the local station for weather updates and NPR (because I like it), I caught the tail end of an interview with Jemaine! I said, I know that voice! :shock: He was interviewed for Eagle vs. Shark.

In case anyone would like to take a listen, the interview is online here
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

I like this review...

Postby Don » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:49 am

From http://www.nwasianweekly.com/200726022/ ... 072622.htm

Seattle International Film Festival:

Lily (Loren Horsley), a fast-food worker and champion video-game player, sums up her visit with her boyfriend’s family by saying, “It’s been pretty weird.” Her statement comes as no surprise, since director Taika Waititi’s debut feature is a romantic comedy involving people who are weird.

Jarrod (Jemaine Clement), a video-game clerk, is too self-centered to be liked, but to Lily, he’s one hot, mullet-wearing catch. At his worst, Jarrod ignores his only child when they visit her while on his “revenge mission.” He leaves adorable 9-year-old Vinny (Morag Hills) to be raised by his dysfunctional family, a collection of oddballs headed by his grief-struck father Jonah (Brian Sergent). Lily sees this normally deal-breaking character flaw and spends time with Vinny herself. Eventually, she grows to like both her and Jarrod’s entire family.

Waititi’s script is funny because the humor is not mean-spirited. Lily’s shy and quirky attempts to show her love are charming in contrast to Jarrod’s obnoxious indifference. The strange animations throughout the film are out of place and are much better suited in an abstract art movie. —James Tabafunda
Don
New arrival

Postby Sherry » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:24 pm

June 10 2007

I've just done a fairly big Eagle vs Shark news update on the main site. Goes something like this....

It appears that not only are LA and New York hosting freebie screenings where they let anyone in (yes, even you) but just about every other major US city is also. I dug up info for Boston (or is it Cambridge) on June 13 - followed by Q&A with director Taika Waititi and actress Loren Horsley. Also screenings in San Francisco June 14 and Atlanta June 26 (or July 10?!)

Call me lazy and useless for not listing more locations but I figured that maybe people reading this would know enough about the internet to use a search engine ;) (hint - try putting 'eagle vs shark free screenings' into Google) Maybe you'll find a free screening in a theatre near you!

Movieweb ran an interview with Taika Waititi and Loren Horsley recently. Read it online here.

Watch some new clips from Eagle vs Shark over at Movieweb.

Jemaine must be wishing he had a robot version of himself, or at the very least a clone or twin as he is not only finishing up on the HBO series and promoting it, but also due for release soon is Eagle vs Shark and promotion for that. Most recently Jemaine did a short radio interview for NPR. Listen to it here (Real Player and Windows. Bleh)

Eagle vs Shark also got a bit of coverage in Marie Claire US this month. You know the magazine ladies, the one thats a little more mature than Cosmo... (read for the slightly older woman) Guys out there probably won't be picking it up to browse through so I've included a scan of it, if there are men out there brave enough to wade through girly style writing. Click here for full size scan.

Read more past news here
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby poptartgirl » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:46 am

Eagle vs Shark and Taiki Waititi are highlighted on MySpace Film :

http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=film
“We tell you lies, and if you laugh, they’re jokes.”

"all I wanted to say is "May I rock you ?"
poptartgirl
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby poptartgirl » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Brief mention in the Austinist website :

http://www.austinist.com/2007/06/15/new_movie_relea.php

Nerds kiss while wearing animal costumes, play video games, confront bullies, and do other stuff—all in New Zealand, to boot. Sadly, a real live eagle does not actually fight a real live shark, but the movie does star that guy from the Outback Steakhouse commercials.

poptartgirl

Postby poptartgirl » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:57 pm

I saw the Phoenix Foundation video today (with the Eagle vs Shark clips) on the local music TV station, ME TV -- ch 15 on Austin TX cable.

poptartgirl

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:23 pm

poptartgirl wrote:I saw the Phoenix Foundation video today (with the Eagle vs Shark clips) on the local music TV station, ME TV -- ch 15 on Austin TX cable.

Yay! Now that Horsepower has finally been released in the US, and with the extra exposure in and because of EvS, hopefully they'll gain in popularity here.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones

Postby tvldiva » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:45 pm

I bought a couple of cd's from them when I saw them in Philly on Tuesday. Turns out, one is a promotional DVD. I've been listening to the cd-which is great- but haven't had time to watch the DVD. It's looks homemade, so I'm not sure what region it's for. Thank good ness for code free DVD players. :thumb:
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:06 pm

Turns out, one is a promotional DVD.

:shock:

*green with envy*

Do tell what's on it when you do get around to watching. They've got quite a few videos, and I know the US version of Horsepower is supposed to have a video or two on it. It would be nice to watch the videos on a proper tv instead of a laptop that doesn't like playing videos ... *considers bugging Sam about it all*

indigo_jones

Postby tvldiva » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:20 pm

indigo_jones wrote:Do tell what's on it when you do get around to watching.

I will do. When they showed me the cd's, I didn't look close at them, Jemaine just said he had both and I should get them. What else could I do? :wink:
tvldiva
Feeling much better now...

Postby indigo_jones » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:28 pm

In this case (and probably others), Jemaine definitely knows what he's talking about and you were very wise to listen to him. ;) Cars of Eden (off of Pegasus) is an odd one, but one of my absolute favorites. Just in case you were wondering. 8)

indigo_jones

PreviousNext

Return to Jemaine Clement