It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 am

F of the C in your life

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

F of the C in your life

Postby xx_Sparky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:57 am

I haven't seen this thread yet...

So.. I thought I would make it.

Anywho, a few days ago at work, one of my coworkers was approached by one of our customers about perhaps being a model for his company. He gave her his card and told her to call him.

A few days later, I was at work again. I asked my coworker if she had called the guy. Of course, she said 'no'. And... of course... the first thought that popped into my head (a thought that I should have expressed outloud) was "You should... There's a lot of opportunities in a modeling agency. You could have been a PART-TIME MODEL..."

I almost said this to her... without even thinking about the Conchords.

So... now... go ahead and tell me... has any Conchord songs or jokes made it into your real life?
What are we doing?

We're breaking it down.
xx_Sparky
New arrival

Postby rcaste » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:08 pm

Something similar happened with me. I told a girl once that she was so beautiful that she was like a tree.. or some ceramics. hmm come to think of it.. she doesn't really talk to me anymore.
rcaste
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Craig » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:25 pm

I find myself referencing FotC takes on all kinds of things... daily.

For example, some dipshit was going on about "the gays" the other day. On and on, and he commented at one point that "gay guys are always hitting on me".

I looked at a freind of mine and said "6 to 8 weeks". Which caused him to fall out of his chair laughing.

It's a pretty obscure link, so I'll explain:

In the HBO show at one point Bret says something like "Girls seem to dump me after 6 or 8 weeks. And I dont understand that because that's about how long it takes to get to know someone".

So when I said "6 to 8 weeks" I really meant: "This guy has some gay tendencies which are being picked up on by similar people, but he's unwilling or unable to see it for himself"

Pretty big stretch, I admit, but my friend picked up my meaning immediatley.

Any time any kind of robot type thing happens, I say things like "and most importantly ..." or "finally ..." and let my friends try to pick it up from there.

I've actually heard my friend trying to pick up on a girl by telling her "You're so hot, you're like a curry"... I swear to god I've heard this for real.

In fact this has become so addictive for me that I often rip off really obscure FotC lines in front of people where not a single person is going to understand what I meant, I'm just doing it for my own sick pleasure! The blank stares I've gotten... it's incredible.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Recently my band was setting up for a gig after another band had finished. We hadnt met the other band before, and they were really good. They were a jugband that did all this crazy jugband type stuff with really cool harmonies and stuff. So anyway, I was talking to one of their band members while setting up and he goes "so you guys are a 3-piece eh?" And without even thinking how stupid it was going to make me look I say "We only need 3 members cause we're so intense!". The guy just looks at me like I'm a complete idiot. I couldnt help it!
Craig
Giving the paper to the people

Postby Katie » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:23 pm

I was buying some shoes and the person next to me looking at shoes was like "Why are shoes so expensive, they're made by a little chinese kid who gets paid a penny a day" and I go "Yeah, what are their overheads?" and we shared a laugh. I wasn't laughing because of what I said, I laughed at the reference.
Katie

Postby xx_Sparky » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:49 pm

The reference to 'Think About it, Think, Think About it' reminds me of a day that I spent with my mom...

We were marveling about how expensive sneakers were or something... I ended up making some reference to that part in the song... and she looked at me funny, of course.

I like your stories, Craig. I remember that part in the HBO show about breaking up with someone within 6 to 8 weeks. And I think I get the link with the gay stuff... that's funny...
Oh so funny.
What are we doing?

We're breaking it down.
xx_Sparky
New arrival

Postby rufus » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:32 pm

I say HI to my wife like Murray's first draft.

and when I leave for work I kiss her and tell her Good bye leggy blonde.
rufus
Lost but happy at sea

Postby indigo_jones » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:16 pm

We say "Bye bye, David Bowie" on a regular basis to our dog when he leaves the room.

We also mock our dog when he starts whining because he wants to be scratched, so when he stops and looks at us funny, I say, "Were you mocking me?"

We also joke about our dog being "so intense".

Our dog is also the one we dressed up as Albi.

I think he might not be as much of a fan of FotC nowadays. ;)
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby beck » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:43 am

Me and my friend are constantly saying at the moment "...a little bit, aye" after pretty much everything. Good old Murray, he's got some brilliant lines.

"Are you tired? A little bit, aye."
"'I'm sorry' and 'I apologise' are the same...except at a funeral" - Demitri Martin
beck
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby mandraco » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:20 am

OOh, I wish I could think of something to contribute to this thread because I know it happens all the time with me and my sister. But as always, I can't think of it when I need it.

All I can think of is that someone says "What?" and I think "Wot? Wot?" and "Are they going to bring the body out here?"

And there was this time when one of my friends noticed that this graph looked like a butterfly and I had some FotC reference that never made it out.

And my mum's name is Sallie, so of course sometimes that comes out.

rufus: That's so cute.
mandraco
Keeping it funky

Postby k_obrien » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:36 am

I give my mom Jemaine's "the finger" when I'm pissy with her.

We've also taken to calling other people "mutha*uckas" and "freaky old bastards."
I saved a life today: my own. Does that make me a hero? I can't really say. But yes.
k_obrien
Keeping it funky

Postby jtomsy » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:03 pm

Well, last night, my friends and I were comparing how faded our stamps were, outside a nightclub and one said, "My stamp is perfect, the guy only had to try once."

And I looked at him and said, "Yeah, he only had to stamp you once, because he's so intense." And then he laughed hysterically.
Julia, Attorney at LOL
jtomsy
New arrival

Postby lovecellogirl » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:59 pm

My son just came home from work, and went straight for the ice cream. There was some American Idol tie-in on the carton and he brought it to my attention. I told him I got it especially for him knowing how devoted he is to the show (not). He then announced that he had actually won the 17th season. In the future? I asked. Yes, he replied, with my Casio DG 20 I picked up in a pawn shop while I was there.
Funny guy.
lovecellogirl
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Business Socks 93 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:39 am

Me and my bro say quotes from Flight all day even though they have nothing to do with what we're talking about
Business Socks 93
New arrival

Postby Johnnyp » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:02 am

Yep the random ra-ra random FotC drop is good.
Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby Brown delicious to face » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:41 pm

I have a conference call every Tuesday, and roll is called at the beginning -- "Present", in a high pitched Murry-type voice is how I respond every time. I'm probably the only one who gets it, except my brother in the office with me...we crack up every time. There's a couple of friends who, at the beginning of all phone conversations, we have a FOTC dialogue (made up or from the show...my accent's gettin pretty good!), for a few minutes before addressing the real reason for the call. Oh...and almost everything is "Yis", as opposed to yes.
Brown delicious to face
New arrival

Next

Return to Flight of The Conchords