What the Folk!

Flight of the Conchords. Yeah those guys. Feel free to discuss them here! Garfunkling!
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC

rcaste
 Post subject: Homages
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:27 am 
Lost but happy at sea

Are most of their song styles and videos are supposed to be an homage to some band? I heard that in most of the cases its the Beatles. They do have others, for example the song Inner City Pressure was supposed to mimic the style of Pet Shop Boys. Can someone list any other styles? Especially the Leggy Blonde song on the tv show. I really liked how they made it. The stop motion type video from the copy machine paper felt like it was from something. Great song.

As you can tell Im not very knowledgeable in music.

indigo_jones
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:24 pm 
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Some songs do seem to be fairly clear references to certain artists, but I never got the impression that all of their songs were really mimicking artists. Instead, like most bands, there are simply a lot of different musical influences. Because of what they do, they can play around with a lot more musical styles than regular artists can get away with, thus you end up with lounge act, hip hop, reggae, country, '60s psychedelia, etc.

The videos, on the other hand, have had some specific visual references, such as KISSING being taken straight from a Serge Gainsbourgh video, and Bret's angry dancing in the last episode being a reworking of Footloose and Flashdance.

The video for Leggy Blonde was more the idea of the director, Taika Waititi, I think. Some of us thought it was specifically a reference to a video for a Samuel Flynn Scott song, but turns out it was just a total coincidence. Don't know if Taika had some other specific visual reference in mind.

Hmm. I don't know if I actually answered your question. This post has taken me forever as I've gotten mentally sidetracked a few times. Basically, this Sunday post is sort of like a Sunday drive -- aimless and serving no real purpose. ;)

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania

cassandrasnow
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:00 am 
Consistently Mediocre

Okay Indigo. I got intrigued by the Serge Gainsbourg clip you referred to as being the inspiration for the KISSING video.... and I found it on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozmBA88Q0EA

It's called Ballade de Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg. Very interesting to watch the original.... and pretty funny considering they actually took it seriously all those years ago.

skoot
 Post subject: the prince of parties
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:47 pm 
New arrival

yeh, an homage would make sense: the prince of parties felt very Beatles in the TV show. The Brett dance solo is like foot loose...

unless i didn't get the cultural reference, i think the stop motion is just because jemaine is a geek and likes stop motion.

however, i dont know music either...