It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:36 am

Flight of The Conchords Part 1

Conchords news, chit chat, waffle and conversation. Also convo about Bret and Jemaine in Conchords mode

Moderators: SuzyBatt, Venus

Postby Andria » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:46 am

Kate wrote:I agree with all of those things... even getting pick-pocketed while in London! (So was I!) Thanks goodness I kept most of my money and all my i.d. elsewhere!

You too?! Argh! Luckily I was with family and had back-up. One of the most infuriating experiences of my life! Sorry, off topic...:D

Ellen wrote:What I like to call the “Asthma Interlude” playing in the background during the Tour of London.

Ah, great title for it, Ellen! :) I think the "Asthma Interlude" is fantastic. I was thinking of mentioning it, but couldn't for the life of me think of what to call it. I shall just 'borrow' your term from now on. :wink:

And, um, yes, "Punching the Clown". Never heard that term before! This whole FotC experience has been quite the eye opener. :shock: I'd definitely be the Brian of the group. Brian: Punching the Clown?

I love Jemaine's line "...we heard you're doing a movie about the Wizard and the Oompa-Loompas (sp?:roll2:) and here's a theme song we've written for it. Put it in your movie." LOL
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby EspedairStreet » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:52 am

Re: the bit players --

If you follow this link and scroll down a bit, you can hear a short interview with Rob Brydon (not FoTC-related, sadly) from the Jonathan Ross show. The interview gets progressively more entertaining as it goes along -- especially when they start talking about Tom Jones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ross/interviews.shtml
EspedairStreet
Lost but happy at sea

Postby Andria » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:02 am

EspedairStreet wrote:Re: the bit players --

If you follow this link and scroll down a bit, you can hear a short interview with Rob Brydon (not FoTC-related, sadly) from the Jonathan Ross show. The interview gets progressively more entertaining as it goes along -- especially when they start talking about Tom Jones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ross/interviews.shtml

Thanks for the link! Very amusing interview. :D So many other interesting interviews to listen to as well. I thought the Toliet Duck portion was very funny and a little bit gross. :rolls:
I'll take your body and cover it with honey, then stick some money to the honey, now you're covered in money, honey. -FotC
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Andria » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:10 am

An amusing video clip of Rhys Darby
BoundandGagged
Click on Management and Promotion in the left hand corner, then Rhys' picture (duh...), then Biography and scroll down a bit and the Video Clip link is on the left. :D
Andria
Bootylicious Flygirl

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:44 pm

I have to say, this has been one of the funnest "assignments" I have ever had. I used this thread as an excuse to listen to the show once again, and laughed just as hard as the first time, and sometimes in different places.

What a blessing these guys are! It is a real gift to bring such laughter to people these days. It's such a relief to just laugh. :lol:
Kate
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby indigo_jones » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:32 pm

Now that I've heard it all the way through, I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said. I just really enjoy the subtleties of the show, and the silliness that is still somehow absolutely believable.

I love the roll call for each band meeting, and the bit with the bow and arrow was fantastic, especially when they're taking the underground to get Bret to the hospital. The absurdity of it all is hilarious. Idiot. hee! The image of Bret getting into various bizarre situations/injuries that prevent him from performing is fantastic.

The taping of the wallets to the chest makes me laugh even harder after seeing the photo of Jemaine with the chest hair rug. "My, you're hairy." Indeed!

In my head I've created my own little background for the character of Brian. I think of him as the Bus Driver, and imagine that he's got it in his head to try and impress Paula by becoming a manager of a band.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby Deirdre » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:37 pm

I guess I didn't make it into the first 25 to try to download the shows. I have only heard small bits of the show and really want to hear it all. I know that the BBC plans on selling it eventually. Any chance you can get another link for us to download the shows, or when they are coming out with the CD? I want to follow along on this thread with you guys.
Deirdre

Postby Sherry » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:06 pm

Things I meant to include yesterday but didn't. I thought I might of bored you enough :P

I really love the continual minutiae of irrelevant details given by Brydon the narrator. It expands more in later episodes but I don't want to venture there just yet. From the moment he begins to speak, in that constant steady voice, you just know you are in for a treat. The delivery and tone are perfect for the style of the guys and how they come over. Its purposefully written and spoken that way. It blends in with the entire show setting perfectly. I wonder how much of Brydon's narration the guys actually penned. Its something I keep meaning to ask. Or did Brydon write his own stuff.

Things I liked from Brydon's part were lines such as being a big music fan, with a collection of over one hundred CD's. Priceless. So dry and understated in its delivery, it maybe goes over a lot of peoples heads. I know the guys performance can do the same to some people. Its a very specific subtle kind of humour. That manages to work so well. Well, works for some :lol:

It also happens with Brian, flapping on about things the guys have been up to, how great they are, what fun crazy guys they are. And he never actually gives a specific situation. Its a painfully well observed example of pointless being pointless. Erm does that make sense to anyone but me?

The other thing I also notice, and love and wish I could hear more of is the backing music. Taken from the songs used in the series, the guitar that plays in the background sometimes is just bliss to hear.

And that so much of the show was improvised. Off the cuff. I like the thought that the guys just trawled around London, stood under Big Ben and made it up. OK, I am not that daft I think they actually said this stuff without even thinking about it, but that they were not working off a script per se is cool. They make it work. Even when it falters a little in places, it never actually falls apart, and as it moves on to the next scene or person, any lapse is soon forgotten. If anything it all adds to the squirm factor.

Squirm factor? Yes, squirm factor. I have one. Well, its a comedy rating of mine. Of sorts. It comes up often in shows such as The Office and believe it or not, Ellen. You know, those uncomfortable silences, pauses, a line delivered and allowed to fall painfully flat. And you squirm. Because its funny, but ooo its almost uncomfortable. In Ellen it usually occurs about 10 minutes in and sets the scene for the remainder of the show and the events unfolding. I *always* squirm at that point. Or have to walk away. I almost cannot bear it, but its funny. But I don't laugh. It just makes me squirm.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Sherry » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:21 pm

Kate wrote:First of all, before starting, thanks Sherry for this amazing summary of the first show!

This show left me wishing there were things like this on the radio here in the States. As it is now, even on public radio, there is nothing even close to this. And, that is sad. This was so entertaining and outright funny. I laughed out loud in many places.

BBC radio is very good for this kind of thing. You should check out some of the other shows on the Listen Again option. I love listening to Wogan during the morning. He might be 70ish, if he's a day, but he is the most listened to man in radio in this country. Its just a great humourous way to start the day, waking up to Wogan. I hardly ever listen to any other radio station anymore. Its been Radio 2 for the last 6-7 years. There was a time when it wasn't cool to admit to listening to radio 2, but its dragged itself into the 21st century and is leading the way with great music, interviews, shows and more.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Kate » Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:42 pm

Sherry wrote:I really love the continual minutiae of irrelevant details given by Brydon the narrator. It expands more in later episodes but I don't want to venture there just yet. From the moment he begins to speak, in that constant steady voice, you just know you are in for a treat. The delivery and tone are perfect for the style of the guys and how they come over. Its purposefully written and spoken that way. It blends in with the entire show setting perfectly. I wonder how much of Brydon's narration the guys actually penned. Its something I keep meaning to ask. Or did Brydon write his own stuff.

It was brilliant! I would love to know who wrote it. Every time he'd break into the show with a pointless voice-over, I'd laugh out loud.

Sherry wrote:Things I liked from Brydon's part were lines such as being a big music fan, with a collection of over one hundred CD's. Priceless. So dry and understated in its delivery, it maybe goes over a lot of peoples heads. I know the guys performance can do the same to some people. Its a very specific subtle kind of humour. That manages to work so well. Well, works for some :lol:

It also happens with Brian, flapping on about things the guys have been up to, how great they are, what fun crazy guys they are. And he never actually gives a specific situation. Its a painfully well observed example of pointless being pointless. Erm does that make sense to anyone but me?

The whole Brian character was amazing. He was such a buffoon, but in such an endearing way! Sort of like Bret would be if he was an extrovert with a family. :lol:

Sherry wrote:The other thing I also notice, and love and wish I could hear more of is the backing music. Taken from the songs used in the series, the guitar that plays in the background sometimes is just bliss to hear.

I agree. It was lovely. Was it the guys playing?

Sherry wrote:And that so much of the show was improvised. Off the cuff. I like the thought that the guys just trawled around London, stood under Big Ben and made it up. OK, I am not that daft I think they actually said this stuff without even thinking about it, but that they were not working off a script per se is cool. They make it work. Even when it falters a little in places, it never actually falls apart, and as it moves on to the next scene or person, any lapse is soon forgotten. If anything it all adds to the squirm factor.

That fact alone, (the improvisation) tells me what geniuses they are. ANd, how genuinely funny.

Sherry wrote:Squirm factor? Yes, squirm factor. I have one. Well, its a comedy rating of mine. Of sorts. It comes up often in shows such as The Office and believe it or not, Ellen. You know, those uncomfortable silences, pauses, a line delivered and allowed to fall painfully flat. And you squirm. Because its funny, but ooo its almost uncomfortable. In Ellen it usually occurs about 10 minutes in and sets the scene for the remainder of the show and the events unfolding. I *always* squirm at that point. Or have to walk away. I almost cannot bear it, but its funny. But I don't laugh. It just makes me squirm.

Oh.. I know what you mean! There was definitely a "squirm factor" involved in the show! "The Office" (or anything with Ricky Gervais) is guaranteed to have it. Never watched "Ellen". But, another show here that has it bigtime is HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm". That, to me, is the most squirm-inducing show I have ever see.

Sherry wrote:BBC radio is very good for this kind of thing. You should check out some of the other shows on the Listen Again option. I love listening to Wogan during the morning. He might be 70ish, if he's a day, but he is the most listened to man in radio in this country. Its just a great humourous way to start the day, waking up to Wogan. I hardly ever listen to any other radio station anymore. Its been Radio 2 for the last 6-7 years. There was a time when it wasn't cool to admit to listening to radio 2, but its dragged itself into the 21st century and is leading the way with great music, interviews, shows and more.

Thanks, Sherry! (Duh... why didn't I think of that?) Now that the Internet allows live streaming, and listening in, I will absolutely do that!

Thsi was a great idea! I am loving this thread! :D
Last edited by Kate on Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kate

Postby Sherry » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:20 pm

I found a bit more on Rhys.

*Snip*

In 2002 he performed his first solo show in the Edinburgh Fringe festival. The following year he moved to London to set himself up on the British comedy scene. He quickly became a cult figure and a much talked about act amongst the critics and other comics alike. Straight away he was signed up for work at the prestigious clubs including The Comedy Store and Jongleurs. Because his material has universal appeal he has been scooped up and requested for performances in many other countries including Germany, France, Italy, Holland, Iceland and more recently the Middle East.

This year he has performed in three international television adverts including the lead role in a science fiction Toyota piece currently being shown in cinemas worldwide. His latest play ‘Jekyll and Hyde 2030’ was well received at the 2004 Edinburgh festival. After achieving numerous rave reviews, the New Zealand arts forum have purchased the show and will bring Rhys home for a season at the sought after Herald theatre in the new year. Rhys has also landed a role in a new BBC radio show to be recorded in 2005. The future’s looking very busy for the wavy haired loon from down under.

*end snip*

The site its taken from is no longer updated, but I get the feeling the man himself was behind it. Or someone behind the man maybe.

Link to said site
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Johnnyp » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:53 pm

indigo_jones wrote:
But here'sa link to another Neil Finn site that you might find interesting

Thats the fansite that I got the forum link from. I guess I should have mentioned that. :D duh!!! I guess thats what you get when you live in a Private Universe :lol:
Johnnyp
The One Guy

Postby EspedairStreet » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:05 pm

BBC radio is very good for this kind of thing. You should check out some of the other shows on the Listen Again option. I love listening to Wogan during the morning. He might be 70ish, if he's a day, but he is the most listened to man in radio in this country. Its just a great humourous way to start the day, waking up to Wogan. I hardly ever listen to any other radio station anymore. Its been Radio 2 for the last 6-7 years. There was a time when it wasn't cool to admit to listening to radio 2, but its dragged itself into the 21st century and is leading the way with great music, interviews, shows and more.

BBC Radio is fantastic, full stop. At the moment, I can't get enough of the crime dramas, but I also spend a lot of time listening to some of the excellent comedy shows (Armando Iannucci's stuff, like Charm Offensive, is always good, as are most of Mark Steel's rants, and I love Sue Perkins and the 99p Challenge and anyway--)

And speaking of Ricky Gervais[ and his partner, Steve Merchant], anyone interested in listening to his radio show on Xfm can check out the following link. Highly recommended -- if only because everyone should get to know Ricky and Steve's producer, Karl Pilkington. The man is some sort of savant.

And that concludes my PSA on UK radio.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/
http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=87560
EspedairStreet
Lost but happy at sea

Postby /me » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:27 pm

Ellen wrote:What I like to call the “Asthma Interlude” playing in the background during the Tour of London.

Asthma Interlude. Perfect! I love that music too. Normally, I like the live versions of the songs much better than the studio versions humor-wise, but music-wise, I love just listening to the tunes. I would buy a strictly instrumental FotC CD, mostly because I like the tunes, but also because in my demented mind the thought of a "comedy" act releasing just an instrumental CD is kinda funny to me.
Ooooh Flight of the Conchords! You're so big!

:comehere: Conchordians Unite! Join the FotC map!
/me
Registered Rhymnecologist

Postby Gayle » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:36 pm

I am so far behind all of you! Stupid job - working is for suckers. I really must listen to the first episode again so I can join in the fun.

Signed,
Sniffy MacLeftinthedust :(
4 out of 3 people have difficulty with fractions.
Gayle
Cool Nipples!

PreviousNext

Return to Flight of The Conchords