It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Emoticons

Forum Guidelines, registration and general info including FeedBack and Tech help and Testing sections. Please read before posting.

Emoticons

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:47 am

I've been having this problem for about a week. When I noticed two other members mentioning the same problem, I realized it wasn't my computer, and I figured I'd let you folks know.

When the emoticons worked, I could click on the pictured ones no problem, or click on "View more smilies" and a little square would appear with all the emoticons, and I could use any of them. Then the trouble started - the second page of smilies were harder and harder to get to use. I'd click and the description would only show up on the emoticon square, not on my post. Sometimes I could get them to work by closing the small square and re-opening it. Now most recently when I click for the View more smilies, my post disappears and emoticons appear where I had written my post, and the small square will also appear, but none of them work - can't get any from the second page. The ones that are always visible are becoming difficult as well, because if I'm in the middle of a post and click on an emoticon, it may show up on the post, but the message jumps all over the place. I don't know if anything can be done, but I hope so. I miss that second page!!
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
I don't think so Bro, she's a Lady, Lady, Lady, Lady
No, no, she's a fish that's just a little bit
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Re: Emoticons

Postby Sherry » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:11 pm

I have no idea what you mean by a 'second page'

When I click on 'View more smilies' I get a box and simply enlarge it to tab size at the top of the box there. It then becomes a new tab in my browser full size. I click on the smilie I want in that and it adds it into my post wherever the cursor is.

I'll have a look into your problem but tbh am not sure what might be wrong. It may be something to do with the settings or some such.

Out of interest what browser do you use. Does it have tabbed browsing at all? Thanks
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby H.... » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:19 pm

Nancy's refering to the box that you mention.
Throw us your potatoes!
H....
David Bowie's nipple antennae

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:41 pm

Yes, Sherry, H helped to clarify it for me. I always get the little box after clicking "View More Smilies", and I used to choose the emoticon from the little box (never making it full size), and it would be added wherever the cursor was in the posted message. Now, not only do I get a small box, but a few seconds later, I also get a full page size that makes the entire post disappear, and basically takes its place. I'm not the only person having this problem, but I'm not sure how many of us have the same browser. (I'm not even sure if we all go through the same exact same problem, I just know several people have mentioned not being able to get the "View More Smilies" to work.)

I have windows internet explorer as my browser and I used to be able to enter the forum through my e-mail account, aol. And I'm afraid I'm not sure what tabbed browsing is.

But another problem has arisen, which may indicate a browser issue, I'm not sure. Just recently every time I click on a WTF topic link from my messages in aol, I get a "hand slap", saying the "pop-up was blocked, use control button when clicking link" - it doesn't work. So now I hand write all the message topics and enter the forum formally. I'm not sure why all of a sudden WTF message links would be considered Pop-ups. (?) I haven't changed any of my settings.

Any help/ideas at all would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Sherry » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:15 pm

Hmm off the top of my head some of that is browser/internet provider issues. Nothing I can do about that.

As to the smilies not working properly, I don't know there is much I can do about that. Are you settings correct.

I can't recreate the smilie problem you are having.

Tabbed browsing is where you have more than one webpage open in your browser at any one time. And all in the same browser. Firefox and Opera have it as standard. IE is a bit crap and older versions don't have it. I don't know what I'd do without tabs. I have about 30 open at any one time all in one browser. Joy!
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:02 am

I understand what you mean by tabbed browsing now, Sherry, and I'm pretty sure I don't have it. I have to work one site at a time, I can't go back and forth. But when I'm checking my mail on aol, I can click on a WTF message notification, and a smaller screen opens the thread, then I close it and go back to aol. Lucky you - the multi-tasking Queen!

BTW, no "pop-up" problems today. It seems to be an inconsistent occurrence, so I'll see what I can find out with either IE or aol. I just got this computer a little over a year ago, so most of the programs are pretty much up-to-date.

It just seems odd that so many of us are having that emoticon problem at about the same time. I know that H and I are still having trouble, I'm not sure about the others.
*wishes she could access the "Dunno" emoticon!*
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Sherry » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:00 am

You can have tabbed browsing. Just need to download and install Opera (my personal preference) or Firefox. Very simple to do and you can import your bookmarks over also.

http://www.opera.com/

FWIW Opera tends to come with features installed that in Firefox often requires a plug in. And you can search using your url bar :D Been able to do that for years and other browsers have only just caught on to that.

I just type g 'insert search term here' and hit enter. Google does the rest. No need for a separate tool bar anywhere to search for stuff.
Sherry
Professional Blonde

Postby indigo_jones » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:37 pm

:dunno:
I use Firefox but I'm doing this post through IE and I'm not having trouble with the emoticons either way, so I suspect the problems are from some sort of settings on your computers/browsers. In other words, it's not something Sherry is going to have control over. Ah, the vagaries of computers. Sorry.
"It was a hilarious, hilarious moment in a very bleak, bleak time of my life."

Happiness is Bret-Shaped.

"The forecast for Jemaine today is clean-shaven with a chance of stubble. Scattered stubble throughout the week, resulting in a 60% chance of beard early next week." - mohumbhai mania
indigo_jones
That's Mrs. Indigo Jones-McKenzie to you

Postby SheWolf » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:55 pm

:rolleyes: :lol: :drinkers: :prayer: just tried to insert "view more smilies" here and obviously it worked. My experience since I've been here is that they work on some threads but not on others.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:12 pm

indigo_jones wrote::dunno:
I use Firefox but I'm doing this post through IE and I'm not having trouble with the emoticons either way, so I suspect the problems are from some sort of settings on your computers/browsers. In other words, it's not something Sherry is going to have control over. Ah, the vagaries of computers. Sorry.

I would guess that it may well be the settings, but why would the emoticons stop working if they used to work fine, and I'm the only person using this computer and I haven't changed anything? That's what puzzles me. The detective in me is intrigued. :hrm:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:21 pm

SheWolf wrote::rolleyes: :lol: :drinkers: :prayer: just tried to insert "view more smilies" here and obviously it worked. My experience since I've been here is that they work on some threads but not on others.

:rolleyes: :lol: :drinkers: :prayer: All the little folks you put at the beginning of your post are also accessible to me - it's after I click the "View More Smilies" that I have trouble. Can you access the dancing bananas, the dragon, the signs, etc? Or are yours not divided up? Mine have 39 different emoticons before I have to access the rest by clicking.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby SheWolf » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:32 pm

:albi: :brick: :quesexcl: :nana: Yup.
90% evil
ImageImage
SheWolf
Boom King!

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:48 pm

SheWolf wrote::albi: :brick: :quesexcl: :nana: Yup.

Well, I'm glad yours work. You may have hit on something when you mentioned having trouble with certain threads. That's the way my trouble started - inconsistent access on different threads, now lack of access across the board.
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!
Nancy
Persona Non Regatta

Postby LSully9 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:08 am

Ok so I was really bored, my computer wouldn't let me watch any videos tonight, my team is losing (again), and I did kinda tell Nancy I'd do it for her so...

Here's a little help for when you're feeling 'emoticonically challenged.' For most of the smilies to show up in your post, you need to put a : before and after the word associated with that smilie. But there are a few exceptions, those will be the 2 symbols needed with 'and' in the middle (you just need the 2 symbols).

:D : and D :) : and ) :( : and ( :o : and o :shock: shock

:? : and ? 8) 8 and ) :lol: lol :x : and x :P : and P

:oops: oops :cry: cry :evil: evil :twisted: twisted :roll: roll

:wink: wink :rolleyes: rolleyes :drinkers: drinkers :tonqe: tonqe :rock: rock

:snakeman: snakeman :goodman: goodman :partyman: partyman :prayer: prayer :supz: supz

:yawinkle: yawinkle :clap: clap :doh: doh :drool: drool :lyre: lyre

:tsk: tsk :pray: pray :worry: worry :hrmpf: hrmpf :hrm: hrm

:bang: bang :whistle: whistle :halo: halo :ttth: ttth :sick: sick

:boohoo: boohoo :shhh: shhh :eh: eh :boogie: boogie :silence: silence

:red: red :smooch: smooch :###: ### :argue: argue :zzz: zzz

:puzzled: puzzled :wag: wag :lalala: lalala :tears: tears :thumb: thumb

:type: type :sing: sing :folkon: folkon :purple: purple :wave: wave

:biggrin: biggrin :yay: yay :rolls: rolls :roll2: roll2 :nod: nod

:rotfl: rotfl :waggle: waggle :heart: heart :smiles: smiles :blush: blush

:heartbeat: heatbeat :love: love :couple: couple :arrow: arrow :stick: stick

:fence: fence :devil: devil :thump: thump :horny: horny :whip: whip

:bounce: bounce :angelic: angelic :down: down :sosad: sosad :cross: cross

:help: help :dunno: dunno :what: what :que: que :teeth: teeth

:chick: chick :read: read :doomed: doomed :comehere: comehere :sign_help: sign_help

:iloveyou: iloveyou :offtopic: offtopic :quesexcl: quesexcl :spam: spam :hug: hug

:hammer: hammer :birthday: birthday :dance: dance :party: party :spit: spit

:angry2: angry2 :bighug: bighug :callme: callme :eyebrow: eyebrow :eyelashes: eyelashes

:geek: geek :nails: nails :waiting: waiting :witsend: witsend :albi: albi

:brick: brick :cheer: cheer :horse: horse :nana: nana :pile: pile

:seesaw: seesaw :sofa: sofa :adoration: adoration :computer: computer :goodnight: goodnight

:popcorn: popcorn :writersblock: writersblock :wtf: wtf :whitey: whitey :welcome: welcome

:topic: topic :thud: thud :thanks: thanks :nice: nice :master: master

:hijack: hijack :jc: jc :suckers: suckers :macarena: macarena :babycrawl: babycrawl

:baby: baby :bolt: bolt :coffee: coffee :family: family :woohoo: woohoo

:eeek: eeek :babyblanket: babyblanket

phew... So do I win a prize for using every emoticon in a single post? lol!
Two struggling musicians, living in poverty and despair, selling their...instruments.
LSully9
Getting lewd with the food

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:36 am

:thud: Thanks so much, Sully!!! :yay:

I'll keep it at my side always!!! :thumb:

We're not worthy!!! :prayer:
Oh, fish-like Lady
Lady-like Fish
La-dy-ish! Yeah!